Forum rules
Discussion of diving methods and equipment available prior to the development of BCDs beyond the horse collar. This forum is dedicated to the pre-1970 diving.
swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

DivAir

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Well, Portage has come and gone. I put some significant time on my DivAir model B at Portage. Considering it's place in the time line of evolution I was really impressed with it's performance. Jerry's diaphragms really brought that reg back to life! I got home from work early today and Lake Michigan was flat and inviting. There is a catch of course. It was flat because there was a West wind which pushes the warm surface water out and brings in the cold deep water. That means dry suit diving. So, I rigged my Poseidon Xstreams to the left post on my double set with the iso manifold and the DivAir to the right and went out to dive the local wreck. The DivAir needed a good rinse anyway right?
So, I drafted my son for my top man and went out to the SS Niagara, a side wheel steamer that burn't to the waterline in 1856 and sank in 50 feet of water. I splashed in and dove the wreck breathing off the DivAir and using the Xstreams for my dry suit and wing. Yes, I can see Allan cringing a thousand miles distant. But in 50 degree water I sure like my dry suit. Ha. Anyway the DivAir performed very well during the 35 minute dive. I would have gone longer but I told my son I'd be up in 30. Damn shame I had 1200 left in the double set.
So anyway, my DivAir seems to be performing quite well and I'm really happy with it. Those who also dived their DivAirs at Portage, what are your thoughts. Just curious. Once again, it was good to see everyone at the meet. It was really good to de stress and just go diving for a couple days. Nothing better then a swim suit and a DH outfit with no freakin weights, yeah!

Jim

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Re: DivAir

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Jim,

I now have a little over 6 hours on my Divair Model E. In my opinion, it compares to a DA in performance. With that said, I have taken it to around 70ffw and didn't notice any difference from those dives in shallower water.

It continues to surprise me that the exhaust hose remains clear of water while swimming in the normal position. If I roll to my left, I can hear water "gurgling" into the hose. Still, a gentle puff purges the hose clear.

It is also one of the more "attractive" designs to my eyes. While I own a fiberglass version, I find the Model B aluminum version to be the best looking of the three variations.

The five that I have serviced would never have been done without your assistance. Thanks, again!

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:58 pm

I think the DIVAIR breathes better than a BROXTON.....maybe, but it aint no MISTRAL or DA AQUAMASTER IMO. Still, it cool to dive one and even cooler that we had 4 in the water at one time at PORTAGE. I would never sell mine, but I have one extra that Greg rebuilt available for sale if anyone is as adventurous as us 4 are. I look forward to seeing the pics of all 4 of us by the silo???? Anyone????

JES
Plank Owner
First Name: Joseph

Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:08 am

Swimjim, thank you for the great DivAir report. 8)
NAVED Master Diver #108
'Anima Sana In Corpore Sano’

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:41 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:I think the DIVAIR breathes better than a BROXTON.....maybe, but it aint no MISTRAL or DA AQUAMASTER IMO. Still, it cool to dive one and even cooler that we had 4 in the water at one time at PORTAGE. I would never sell mine, but I have one extra that Greg rebuilt available for sale if anyone is as adventurous as us 4 are. I look forward to seeing the pics of all 4 of us by the silo???? Anyone????
I took the picture with Karls Camera. three different pics of all 4 but the 3rd I think was the best.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

kgehring
Master Diver

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:25 pm

here is 4 Divairs underwater in 1 location. When is the last time in dive history this happened?
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 pm

kgehring wrote:here is 4 Divairs underwater in 1 location. When is the last time in dive history this happened?
My guess is that it would be in the sixties....Too cool!

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

OregonDiver1
Lung Diver
First Name: Anthony

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:21 am

Though are efforts are mainly channeled towards the resurection and enhancement of US Divers and Voit regulators it is truly inspiring to see those efforts, and the knowlege gained from them, result in the restoration of more exotic and rare regs such as the DIVAIR and others. Well Done. Now all we need is some Northrill's resurected and assembled at portage.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:01 am

Because of the wide view mask, I think this photo was taken sometime after 1960, most likely 1961 or 62. Where did you find this photo? Maybe an early book or magazine? Nice find.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:30 am

UBER COOL!

boogerdave
Lung Diver

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:34 am

I've been out a while . . .

Someone say Divair diaphrams are available somewhere??? Hmmmm???
Blah, blah, blah . . and I really mean that.

sthtxdiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:37 pm

WoW u guys look super cool thanx for sharing (posting) i know ive said it before but action speak better than words saul and i r really gonna have to make an effort and dive with u guys @ least once best regards Charlie ps Div Air ?? didnt we purchase one from u Rob ?? just trying to remember? Fair Winds and Safe Vintage Diving
Charlie

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:34 am

boogerdave wrote:I've been out a while . . .

Someone say Divair diaphrams are available somewhere??? Hmmmm???
Jerry Moseman was making some and because of his efforts several DivAirs once again prowl the depths. :wink:

Jim

Return to “Classic Vintage Diving”