swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Fortune Pond Trips Coming Up

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 pm

To set the record straight, the instigator who put the name tag on your scooter mean't to tag it "Fat Man" after the bomb dropped on Japan. This was because of the scooters resemblance to said bomb...... not the owner of said scooter. Lol. The mistake was a matter of a senior moment... By the way, it wasn't me.
We did have perfect weather AND diving conditions for our outing. I dove my Snark III Silver, Dacor R-4 and my Kraken for my vintage dives. I also did some "tech" dives with my HOG gear. Maybe I can get Bryan to send me a Kraken single hoser to take through the ice when the time comes... Hint.. Hint.. ( I'll get video...) The viz was okay shallow where Eben and Rich did their tests. It was a lot better past 100 feet until you hit the silt layer about 145. Eric penetrated the silt layer and reported super clear water from 170 to 190, which was as deep as he went.
As Eben mentioned, we had first class chow. BBQ and my chili... plus brownies and Rich's BIG cookies! Then of course there was the usual restaurant fare. Alice's, Mr. T's etc. And of course quality inexpensive accommodations at the lake Shore Motel in Iron River. A great weekend and a good time had by all!!!!

Jim

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 pm

swimjim wrote: I also did some "tech" dives with my HOG gear. Maybe I can get Bryan to send me a Kraken single hoser to take through the ice when the time comes... Hint.. Hint.. ( I'll get video...)

Jim
As soon as my Argonaut single hose is done diving Cozumel it'll be on the way. I'll let you install the cold water kit and take it ice diving..

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver

Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Sweet! :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:20 am

Ice Diving Year Round...
- My hydro testing facility in Brainerd is owned by Bill Matthies (MN School of Diving). Having started the business in a roadside shed back in 1959-60, he has a lot of stories. A couple of years ago, he put them into a book... I bought it and it's fascinating.
- One of the stories explained that in the winter, under the ice, the water settles into a temperature of 39 degrees F from top to bottom. There's no thermocline in the winter. Bill has done a lot of ice diving, so I take him at his word on the validity of this phenomenon.
- Anyway, at depths of 75 feet and deeper, Fortune Pond can be as cold as 39 degrees... I've registered that (and lower) on my dive computer. So in reality, our gear is being tested to ice diving temperatures (or close to it) almost every time we dive in Fortune Pond.
- Free Flows and other freeze up problems have been non-existent with our vintage gear.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:03 pm

I dove this gear to 76 feet. From our last trip.

[video]https://youtu.be/2GQZq_2ueUI[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:11 pm

On our last trip to Fortune Pond this huge Mosquito showed up just as I got into the water and it kept hovering above us

[video]https://youtu.be/tM1zjH-han4[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:30 pm

First time diving my Healthways Gold Label double hose regulator

[video]https://youtu.be/KusRPGGr0MY[/video]

swimjim
Master Diver

Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:16 pm

I dive my Gold label with a USD or Voit hose set. With that they are really good breathers. I see you had a OEM one inch mouth piece. How did you like that? Seems to me it may be a little restrictive.

Jim

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:09 am

swimjim wrote:I dive my Gold label with a USD or Voit hose set. With that they are really good breathers. I see you had a OEM one inch mouth piece. How did you like that? Seems to me it may be a little restrictive.

Jim
It was mostly a shallow dive around 35 feet and it breathed great. I did go down to around 50+ feet and it started to breathe harder so I think you're right on that restrictive breathing.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”