SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Re: Fortune Pond Trips Coming Up

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Those dives were some I will never forget guys. It felt like I was back in the 70's part of a Cousteau team dive watching those yellow housings drifting deeper below me. I'm glad you talked me into wearing my striped wet suit for that dive even though it only is a 3 mm wetsuit and we were in 42 degree water. The first part of the dive I didn't even feel the cold I was having that much fun!! It looked like your buoyancy was pretty much right on Eben when you were at 70 feet. You're tanks were awesome. Out of the water I forgot I was even wearing them still as I helped you guys out of the UDS-1 units. I need some of those short tanks now!! The offer is open to anybody coming to Fortune Pond if you want to dive a UDS-1 unit just ask!! I can't wait to go back. I want to dive Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!! Gonna bring the compressor along to so I can pump up the UDS-1 units again if needed.

I got to dive some regulators I hadn't dove yet (Voit Blue 50 fathom and the US Divers non-mag. I want to dive my Goldie and perhaps the Snark if I can get it fixed. I also haven't dove the Dacor yet either. I believe I have 2 US Divers RAM's to dive yet and also a Round Label Aqua Master.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Love all the yellow in this picture from the weekend.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:47 pm

While you guys were flying around the pond on the scooter I was able to snap some photos trying out the triples and the Blue 50 Fathom for the 1st time.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

First dive on Friday I wore the US Divers ABS triples.

[video]https://youtu.be/SOIWfTk80Ls[/video]

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm

There is now a dive flag in about 50 feet of water across from the mirror. Wonder which will get taken first? Scuba Goose or the dive flag??

[video]https://youtu.be/dUoS1JL1YOM[/video]

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Ron, I've got a Snark III Silver if you want to try one. Great reg! I have a DivAir too if you wan't to dive something that few get to. I also have a couple of Dacor R-4's and a C-3 that are all tuned up and good to go. I'll be at the September dive. Let me know if you want to dive one of these and I will have it along..

Jim

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Hey that sounds great Jim. Eben and I were just discussing a theme dive trip. Perhaps we should list what all regs we each have and then dive them together each dive. Do you have a Jet Air?

swimjim
Master Diver

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 am

SheriffDiver wrote:Hey that sounds great Jim. Eben and I were just discussing a theme dive trip. Perhaps we should list what all regs we each have and then dive them together each dive. Do you have a Jet Air?
I used to. I had to thin the herd some in the last few years to raise cash for one thing or another.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

Surflung, SwimJim:

Here are the regulators I have to chose from for regulator theme dives:

From left to right:

Round label Royal Aqua Master, Heavy yoke round label Royal Aqua Master, Square label Royal Aqua master, DA Aqua Master, Mistral, Healthways Gold Label, Round label Aqua Master, Voit Blue Fathom Fifty, Non-Mag, DA Aqua master made in France, DA Aquamaster with yellow hoses, Kraken. I also have a Dacor C-3 that works but I haven't tested it yet in open water. And then the Snark III Super Nemrod that I have to get working.

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Quite the stable. I run into the same dilemma when I head to Fortune. I'll ask myself, what haven't I dove in awhile? Have you worked on Any of them lately? Good time for a check out dive. I dove Fortune Pond this afternoon.. Yeah, I know, a week late. I'm meeting some tech friends there tomorrow. I had my Dacor C-3 down 100 feet to photograph the Alien. I might get my R-4 in the pond tomorrow. You'll be doing a lot of diving I'm sure so you can bring several! :wink:

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Just a Little Touch-Up...
Making my Twin 38s Look Nice for This Sept. 15-16 Weekend!
- Last trip I noticed some pretty bad scratching on these Twin 38s... I like a little wear because it makes them look like Sea Hunt, But scratching down to the metal we cannot have! So, I brushed a couple of coats of galvalite 96% zinc paint on the scratches and then rolled a little more on later to even out the look. New galvalite looks a little brighter than old galvalite does after being dove a few times.
- This may be our last chance to dive Fortune Pond for the season so we're bringing all of our favorite toys. Rich was over Sunday morning delivering the trailer and tanks that need filling and topping off. Tonight I'll do a little compressor time... Most tanks are already filled... But I'll make sure everything we need is full. I'll start securing things in the trailer. Scooter was re-charged but will need a top off. Rich has 3 tanks and 2 Twin 50s. I'll be bringing 3 Twin 38s, 1 Twin 42 (Sportsways), and 1 Twin 48, That's 5 dives worth of tanks for each of us. I think the scooter has about 90 minutes of run time per charge... So everybody can have a chance to play with it who wants.
- I was thinking of bringing my Sea Hunt wetsuit. It's a 3mm, which is what I usually dive with a hooded vest. So, I'll try diving it with a hooded vest and see if it gives me the same warmth and buoyancy characteristics. The beavertail definitely gives an extra layer, too.
- I haven't made any plans for food at the dive site. Last time the Subway sandwiches worked out pretty well.
- Rich and I are looking forward to seeing SwimJim, SheriffDiver, DiverDon, and maybe Eric P. Of course everyone is welcome!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:11 am

I've got both UDS-1 units filled along with the ABS. The 50's triples will make the trip along with the twin 72's. Let's see, that's 4 sets of triples. I'm thinking bringing 2 sets of US Divers Navy MKII doubles and probably the Jaws tank and reg. Probably bring 4 aluminum 80's and a couple of steel 72's. Should have around a dozen double hose regs along. Probably have 5 wetsuits along. Silver Sea Hunt wetsuit, 2 black smooth skin Sea Hunt wetsuits, 1 black yellow striped smooth skin and the retro Jaws/UDS-1 wetsuit from 1974.

If DiverDon makes it with his UDS-1 it will be a very cool historic dive. When is the last time you saw 3 working UDS-1 units much less being dove at the same time. Would be cool to get the ABS units in the water at the same time and have 5 sets of US Divers enclosed triples being dove!! Bringing the air compressor to fill tanks when needed.

I plan on diving 3 days. Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Thursday night we may snorkel around the Pond.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 am

Final Update Before Departure - Holy Moly the food service is going to be fabulous! SwimJim is bringing his award winning Chili for Saturday lunch and SheriffDiver is bringing BBQ Beef and Turkey Supreme for hot sandwiches on Friday. 50,0001Questions Rich is bringing Monster Cookies. I'm trying to think of what's left to bring... Maybe a cooler full of cold drinks and chips? :roll:
- We should get there around 11:30-12:00 noon tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing everyone! - Eb
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:52 pm

It will be a blast. I'll be loaded for bear so to speak. I think I have seven double and two vintage single hosers packed. And then theres tech stuff. I may not dive everything, but I'll give it a try! Good thing my van is a 3/4 ton!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:29 pm

Sept 14-15 Dive Report
- Another great dive trip. Visibility was excellent again... We even measured it with a white disk and measuring tape. We didn't get to measuring until later in the day so there was less light, BUT... Rich held a Gopro and the reel as I swam away with the white disk and the end of the tape. At 40 feet deep, measuring straight out laterally, we got to 60 feet before the white disk disappeared. Physical observation earlier in the day when the sun was high and at different locations made visibility seem further... So we're saying viz was 60-100 feet.
- Divers Present were myself (SurfLung), SwimJim, Eric P., 50,001 Questions Rich, Deb, and Sheriffdiver.
- Food Served: Friday Ron Sheriffdiver and Deb served up hot BBQ Beef sandwiches. Saturday SwimJim served up Hot Chilli made from his award winning recipe. Yeah we ate pretty darn good.
- Piloting the UV-26 "Beast" Scooter... Gained some more practice and skill here. Passengers can hold onto my ankles and it pulls us both almost as fast as one. Rich and I rode it all the way around the pond at 40-60 feet deep and FULL SPEED (level 3). After a fresh charge (thanks to Ron's generator), I went half way around and back with Deb in tow at level 3 speed. Then I went all the way around myself at level 2 speed. I think I can get about 90 minutes of fun out of a single charge. SOMEBODY... Decided to name the scooter and wrote "Fat Boy" on a piece of white tape and stuck it on the side. I thought they were naming it after the Atomic Bomb because it looks like the bomb. But I think THAT bomb was named "Fat Man" and the other one was "Little Boy". And so maybe they were just naming the scooter after my physique. Thanks guys!
- I brought 5 sets of doubles... 4 twin 38s and 1 Twin48. The one ride around the pond on the scooter used so little air that I dove the same tanks a second time when we did the visibility test. I did finally run these down to absolute zero and got to test out my reserve lever... Works great.
- Rich had a burst disk blow on one of his sets of Twin 50s. It must have happened while the tanks were sitting on the trailer and no one was around. Anyway, he got all hooked up and realized the tanks were dead empty. Nuts. This was the ScubaPro manifold with two valves. There's no markings on the burst disk or holder so it could have been the wrong disk or a defective disk. We put a new 5000 psi one on and its good to go.
- Ron the Sheriffdiver is getting very good at diving the UDS-1 tank system. He suits up fast now and has gotten himself pretty well squared away with the Klauda Harness and positioning the various hoses. His yellow striped vintage wetsuit has been gaining fans... People stop us at the dive site and ask, "Where did you get that suit?". It definitely looks sharp with yellow tanks, yellow hoses, or yellow UDS-1 units.
- SwimJim always brings something unique to dive. This time I think it was either a Dacor R4 or C3 Clipper. He gave it a serious workout. Him and Eric also go for the Tech Diving practice. Eric was preparing for a Lake Michigan Wreck dive down to 350 feet. Holy Moly!
SurfLung

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”