SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

By Invitation Only May 12-13

Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:01 pm

By Invitation Only...
Fortune Pond May 12-13

- Another great couple of days of diving up at Fortune Pond Michigan. This time however, participation will be limited to those divers who have received a special invitation.
- How do you qualify to get invited? Well, first consideration went to those divers who have dived with us before at Fortune Pond. They have already received their invitations. We have a limited number of openings left and have decided fill them with the winners of an Essay Contest.

Fortune Pond Essay Contest:
25 words or less on "Why I Should Get Invited to Fortune Pond"
Post your essays on this thread.
Our judges will pick winners and send invitations by May 3rd.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

SheriffDiver
Master Diver
First Name: John

Re: By Invitation Only May 12-13

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:31 pm

:roll: :arrow: :mrgreen: :roll:

Coloradodiver
First Name: Gary

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:27 pm

Just curious. Why the private invite. Is it that popular?

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon May 01, 2017 10:25 am

Coloradodiver wrote:Just curious. Why the private invite. Is it that popular?

Dear Coloradodiver,
- Well, that's 25 words or less but not very persuasive. I have consulted with the judges and they have decided to grant you a special dispensation. You are officially invited to join us at Fortune Pond May 12-13. For more information about the dive sight and lodging please follow this link:
http://www.deepsixscuba.com/divesheet.p ... type=shore
-Sincerely, SurfLung
:)
SurfLung

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am

SheriffDiver wrote::roll: :arrow: :mrgreen: :roll:
Dear Sherriffdiver,
Just because you got invited early doesn't mean you should make fun of those who haven't been invited yet. I have reported this impolite behavior to the judges and they have issued a warning: "You may only bring your totally restored 1970s and 1980s UDS-1 and ABS triple tank systems to Fortune Pond if you promise to actually dive with them as a historical re-enactment and display them for the other divers to see. "
- Sincerely, SurfLung

SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 pm

Eben, my bull crap meter is pegging the limit pin. Shouldn't the invite criteria be limited to 1. Not dead, and 2. Likes beer? My 2psi. :D Mark

Hope everyone has a great time.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:Eben, my bull crap meter is pegging the limit pin. Shouldn't the invite criteria be limited to 1. Not dead, and 2. Likes beer? My 2psi. :D Mark

Your essay is presented in an unexpected style so, this was another one for the judges to decide. You'll be happy to know they came down on your side: Seeing that you are Scuba- LAWYER, they took it that your essay was an "Oral Argument"... Or, a "Summation" of your case for being invited based on the strong facts that you are 1. Not dead and 2. You like drinking beer. These are valid points and you presented them well. And so, you are hereby invited to dive with us at Fortune Pond May 12-13. For more information about the dive site and lodging please follow this link:

- Sincerely, SurfLung
SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed May 03, 2017 1:16 pm

SurfLung wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:Eben, my bull crap meter is pegging the limit pin. Shouldn't the invite criteria be limited to 1. Not dead, and 2. Likes beer? My 2psi. :D Mark

Your essay is presented in an unexpected style so, this was another one for the judges to decide. You'll be happy to know they came down on your side: Seeing that you are Scuba- LAWYER, they took it that your essay was an "Oral Argument"... Or, a "Summation" of your case for being invited based on the strong facts that you are 1. Not dead and 2. You like drinking beer. These are valid points and you presented them well. And so, you are hereby invited to dive with us at Fortune Pond May 12-13. For more information about the dive site and lodging please follow this link:

- Sincerely, SurfLung
Eben, if you can get Bryan to send the VDH corporate jet for me (the one that has stenciled on the side "NOT FOR SINGLE HOSE USE," not the one that says "VINTAGE DIVERS ROCK,") I'll think about gracing the event with my awesome presence . Otherwise, screw it, I ain't travelling out of sunny California. :D

Your friend, Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed May 03, 2017 3:52 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
SurfLung wrote:

- Sincerely, SurfLung
Eben, if you can get Bryan to send the VDH corporate jet for me (the one that has stenciled on the side "NOT FOR SINGLE HOSE USE," not the one that says "VINTAGE DIVERS ROCK,") I'll think about gracing the event with my awesome presence . Otherwise, screw it, I ain't travelling out of sunny California. :D

Your friend, Mark
- This response was not well received by the judges. They went all Biblical and decreed: "Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are invited, but few are chosen.” (—Matthew 22:1-14, NIV)

The official deadline for this essay contest to end is today May 3rd. I want to thank all of you who participated. The roster is complete and for all of you who failed to get invited to Fortune Pond this time, I wish you better luck if and when we schedule another trip.

-Update May 3rd, 2017 - SwimJim and I put in our reservations at the Lakeshore motel a month ago. Rich will be diving his newly configured Twin 50s with new Phoenix DH on center and Conshelf 1st stage system on the side valve... NOS ScubaPro isolator Twin Tank Manifold. New USD aluminum tank decals by Ron. I'll be diving a newly restored/configured set of vintage bushing surplus Twin 48s with Scuba Museum VOIT manifold, and Klauda green Sea Hunt harness... Very nice. I'm putting a DSV mouthpiece on my green hosed Mystery Mess Cyclone DAAM. Ron will be diving UDS-1 and ABS triple tank systems. Jerry... I don't know what he'll be diving. Eric will probably beat us all with his Twin 130s and Heliox tech diver outfit. Tom will be showing some beautiful Twin42s I think. SwimJim usually brings exotic regulators... Divair, Healthways, Dacor, etc.
- We hope to start arriving and diving by noon on Friday. Get in 2-3 dives Friday, another 2 on Saturday and drive home Saturday night... Home for Mother's Day Sunday. Friday we'll have Cheddar Brats for lunch on the grill and eat dinner at the fabulous Alices Restaurant. As Patton was known to say, "I love it... I DO Love It So!"
- Good Diving To You All, SurfLung :wink:
SurfLung

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu May 04, 2017 10:34 am

[/quote]

- This response was not well received by the judges. They went all Biblical and decreed: "Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are invited, but few are chosen.” (—Matthew 22:1-14, NIV) [/quote]

Eben, if you are going to cite to The Parable of the Wedding Banquet please recall the king invited a bunch of folks to the banquet, but none of them wanted to attend. In fact, the invitees killed all the king's messengers. So the king sent his servants into the streets to round up anyone they could find standing around to force them to attend the banquet. When one guy showed up to the banquet naked the king threw him out into the night with the quote you raise. If I were to show up at Fortune Pond i guess that would make me the naked guy. Very odd, always thought it would have been Jerry. :D

Have a great time. I will miss you all. Mark

SurfLung
Master Diver

Fri May 05, 2017 12:35 pm

- We'll miss you too, Buddy! Thanks for your good natured participation! :D
Here are my latest project items to baptize at Fortune...
Above: Installed a DSV mouthpiece on my Cyclone HPR Mystery Mess regulator
Below: Recently finished Twin 48s with Voit manifold and Klauda harness
SurfLung

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Mon May 08, 2017 3:36 am

You forgot about Jaws Surflung. Yes, another 1st will be my custom 1974 US diver's Jaws wetsuit that will work perfect with the UDS-1 and the skinny Jaws tank. That wetsuit is actually pictured with a diver wearing a UDS-1. It has the turtle neck collar, the zip down zipper on the jacket and twist locks. I even saved a decal off a horsecollar and glued it onto the sleeve just like in the photos. It looks awesome and will be worn with Yellow coated weights too!! Now I just need to figure out what tanks to bring!! So many choices.... Twin 72's, twin 50's, triples, Jaws, 80's.... So many regulator choices too... Mistral, RAM square label and round label heavy yokes, Kraken, Dacor C-3, several Da's, Round label Aquamaster that is in almost new condition.... Oh yes, my 2nd set of UDS-1 tanks will be along so I can drop them off with Don to get them stamped VE along with the hydro stampings. Soon, very soon there will be another fully functional UDS-1 system at my house. Don's is very close now too....

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon May 08, 2017 7:32 am

I admire the dedication to your craft , well done!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

SheriffDiver
Master Diver

Thu May 11, 2017 2:25 pm

I think we should do some "Theme" dives again like last year when we all dove Kraken regulators. Perhaps we should do "doubles" "triples" RAM's Mistral's etc...

I will have 3 sets of twin 50's along so the people coming with me can all dive twin's. All 3 colors too...black, silver, and yellow.

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Thu May 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Glad you didn't buy that Pink Panther wetsuit! :D :twisted: :(

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”