Boiler81
Vintage Diver
First Name: scott

Re: Chuuk (Truk) Trip Interest

Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:31 pm

Greg:

I did the trip to Chuuk seven years ago with a friend. At the time we went, the only two options for live aboards were the Odyssey and the Thornfinn. My buddy and I went with the Odyssey. It was a bit more expensive than the Thornfinn but the reviews were much better. I am going to go again at some point and would definitely do the Odyssey again. They treat you like an adult. If you want to dive solo, they are good with that or you can go on the tour and follow a dive master. It is entirely up to you. The food and service were also top notch.

I'm not in a position to make a commitment for 2018. If you were going a year later, I would be in.

Greg Barlow wrote:At this point, I am planning to correspond with the various companies offering liveaboard services in Truk. While the land based operations have their merits, my thoughts are that by going with the liveaboard venue, we will be able to dive a larger area of dive sites. Considering the expense of such a trip, I am in favor of 10 days rather than 7.

A ballpark estimate of the total cost will be around $7,000. I realize that is a considerable amount, but for what is described by many, as the "dive trip of a lifetime", it promises to be worth every dollar.

Micronesia has the best diving conditions, and least amount of rain, during December through March. My thoughts are February or March 2018, as that avoids the holiday season. The final decision will be made on the availability of ship cabins.

If we can get enough VDH divers on board, we should be able to collectively make dive site decisions. It will also allow me to get a price for each diver.

So, at this point, I need to get a pretty accurate number of those interested in going. After getting such a number, I will contact each individual with the available dates for the trip. Of course, that may be from one time slot to several. If you prefer to email me privately, feel free to do so at my Yahoo address, [email protected].

Greg

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”