Herman
VDH Moderator

How About Sand Dog 2016??

Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:47 pm

I know a lot of us are going to Seahunt in March but that leaves a bunch of our DH brothers out . I would like to keep Sand Dog alive so how about we plan something in the May time frame. It does not have to be anything special, just getting together at the springs or something similar/simple. What do you guys think? And you new or would like to try a DH members, speak up, this is a perfect time to try out a DH.
Herman

bbain
Vintage Diver

Re: How About Sand Dog 2016??

Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm in as long as it is after May 1.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:27 pm

I plan on being neck deep in Argonaut assembly in May and might not be able to attend. Lead the charge Herman, there or not I'll support you all I can.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Those Argonauts are not going to build themselves :mrgreen:

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 pm

Headed to various states, Russia, Canada and Germany so far!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Hummmmm, visit the factory and assemble your own Argonaut. :)
Chevrolet does it with Corvettes.....and charges you a bunch extra to do so.

If anyone else is interested in going speak up so we can get something started.
Herman

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:29 am

I've always enjoyed the Sand Dog experience. Alas, it's just not in the cards this year. :(

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:56 pm

What about a Great Lakes one? I've been trying to invite myself to Jim's house for years lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:31 am

I was so disappointed that I had booked a dive trip elsewhere the weekend that SD was "in my back-yard" at the St. Lawrence River....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 am

slonda828 wrote:What about a Great Lakes one? I've been trying to invite myself to Jim's house for years lol.

Lake Michigan is an unpredictable gal. A Fortune Pond trip could work, but they both have one deal killer in common. Cold water. I'm part Viking so it doesn't bother me. Others have a problem diving in water cold enough to chill your beer though. :lol:

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:49 am

I'm closer to the great lakes than Florida so I would be interested. I have plenty of "bio-prene" to keep me warm so the cold doesn't bother me :D . Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

swimjim
Master Diver

Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:05 pm

If anyone is interested, Minnesota is meeting up with Wisconsin at Fortune Pond May 6th and 7th. The water will be cold, but there at minimum will be bratwurst and possibly hot chili to thaw you out between dives.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:15 am

The wrecks of the Great Lakes are routinely described as among the best preserved in the world. It would be quite an experience for those of us who haven't been there. I guess I kind of got picky because I have such good diving all around me ;)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm

slonda828 wrote:What about a Great Lakes one? I've been trying to invite myself to Jim's house for years lol.

OOOO I like that idea. Pitch a tent on the Swim Jim Beach and I could make some more of my cowboy coffee !. I'm in either place.
Van Frankooooo :D
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

swimjim
Master Diver

Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:36 pm

How about this. Fortune Pond, mid to late July. The Sand Dog event would be held at Fortune Pond itself Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday Morning. July is the one time of year where you have a better then average chance on getting out on lake Michigan and/or Superior. Just like Sand Dog in Florida, a lot of the divers come a day or two early and dive other places other then the main event. Perhaps those interested could do a charter out of Milwaukee and dive the Car ferry S S Milwaukee, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Milwaukee ) or the Prince Willem, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16bM3uWDJAk ) .
The water will be cold. No getting around that. Surface, low 60's Fortune Pond, anywhere from the high 40's to the low 60's on Lake Michigan. At depth, low 40's either way. The viz at Fortune will be the worst of the year. That being said, it will FAR surpass any other quarries best viz period. Lake Michigan on the deeper wrecks should be at least 50 feet. Viz of 100 or better in not uncommon.
Base of operation would be in Iron River Michigan about eleven miles from Fortune pond. Crystal Falls where Fortune Pond is located offers little in amenities. There's a nice Mom and pop motel in Iron River that is about $50.00 a night. For those who would like to camp there is Bewabic state park, http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrai ... &type=SPRK . Iron River has a decent bar that offers burgers and pizza for Friday night and a Italian place called Alice's restaurant for Saturday night. Alice's does a good Ribeye too, although it's been a bit pricey lately. The service is generally good though. There's a good breakfast joint too just over the hill from the motel. it's not fancy, but it's all there. The midwest is bratwurst country and I could bring a grill and do some for a "shoreline lunch" on Saturday. Maybe I could bring a batch of chili along as well. Anyhow, if there is interest, we'll fill in the blanks and throw something together.

Swimjim :wink:

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”