Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Vintage Divers Invade Florida Springs

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Rob and I spent an enjoyable four days diving various springs in the Fort White, Florida area last week. Our original plans were to do some offshore wreck diving near Morehead City, NC, but Mother Nature decided to have rough seas last week. We spent two days diving at Ginnie Springs, even managing to allow me to get in a couple of cave dives in the Devil's Ear system. We then spent a full day at Hart Springs where we did volunteer work in removing debris from the spring basin. Recent flooding had deposited a large number of rocks and tree limbs in the basin. When we began our day, the basin bottomed out at 31ffw. By the time we had finished, it was at 34ffw. We literally had filled approximately a dozen grocery carts with debris. We then carefully used a lift bag to bring it to the surface, where a crane was waiting to lift the cart from the water. The remaining day found us diving the Suwanee River, along with Troy Springs.
Many of the recreational divers, along with several of the cave divers, asked us questions about the vintage gear. They were particularly fond of the DH regulators. Rob refused to be seen with me as I was gearing up in my cave diving equipment. A great time, even if the Sand Tiger sharks and shipwrecks have to wait until next summer.

Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”