USdiver
Master Diver

Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

Tue May 12, 2015 12:22 pm

Looks like I'll be up for a reunion with several friends (non-diving or at least non-vintage diving) around Portage, WI from July 17 - 19. On the 18th some folks are planning on hiking nearby Devil's Lake State Park. I understand that it is also a local dive site and was wondering if anyone on VDH dives there, and can recommend where are the best places to dive, and maybe a LDS for air fills.

I'll probably throw a few sets of scuba gear in the truck for the weekend on the off chance of diving Devil's Lake. Of course if you're already planning on being there, I could use a vintage buddy.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

Tue May 12, 2015 10:47 pm

I've dove Devils lake in the Past. There is a rocky area that runs along the East side of the lake. Swim along that side and turn stones over for the Bass. They love to suck up the occasional crawfish that comes darting out. The rest of the lake is a featureless bowl. July will be the height of the algae bloom and you can expect about 10 foot viz.

Jim :|

On the other hand, if you can sneak out to the Port Washington area and Lake Michigan is in a cooperative mood..........................

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed May 13, 2015 11:01 am

Jim,

Thanks for the tips on where to dive. As to when, well unfortunately I can't make it up early or later in the season, looks like algae bloom is in my future. No worries, as we have lots of algae here in Ohio, and by July, I'll be looking for more variety in my plankton soup. Wish I could get away to Lake Michigan, but not possible on this trip. I really want to dive some of the wrecks along Wisconsin's shores, say from Milwaukee to Green Bay.

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:12 pm

We spend a week or so at Devils Lake every summer/fall. Dove there for the first time last year. Vis was about 5 ft. and very green. Tons of fish along the rocks though. If you go, park in the farthest south lot on the east side of the lake. If you walk along the tracks look for a rock with a big X on it. (Recon it first. It feels like a 10 mile walk geared up) Thats your entry point. Make sure to bring a dive flag. Its the rule and it may prevent you from getting hooked with a crank bait :wink:

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:47 am

Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on the dive site. As a near victim of a bait caster in the past I will be sure to take an flotation bouy with a dive flag along. 5ft viz huh? well at least the water should be wet.

George

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”