swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fortune Pond ice dive

Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:19 pm

Here's a video I put together on the recent ice dive up at Fortune Pond. https://vimeo.com/124034771 . I'm in this one thanks to my dive buddy who took his new Go Pro on it's maiden voyage. Look for Kraken DD-3 in the second half of the video.
As usual we stayed in Iron River Michigan. I got up around 6:00 am and it was 7 degree's below zero outside. It warmed up nicely though to the high 20's by dive time. The water was pretty warm as these things go. 39 degree's. Only one freeflow and it was a Sherwood. They normally do pretty well under these conditions. For the Kraken, it was just another dive of course. That's one sweet breathing machine! Hot chili and cold beer finished off the day. Now that's diving!

Jim

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Fortune Pond ice dive

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:47 am

Thanks for the video Jim, I enjoyed that.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:59 am

:shock: And they call us cave divers crazy. I've been on a lot of cold water dives but in my humble opinion ice belongs in a post-dive Mai Tai, not overhead. :D :D (although I would like to try it one day)! Great video!
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:18 am

Thank you Jim. Always enjoy sharing your videos.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Robohips77
Master Diver

Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Nice video and excellent technique on the safety of ice diving especially the arrows shoveled in the snow on the surface showing the way to the hole. I would really like to see if I can make it up there next year to make an ice dive with you. Also pm me when you can with the manufacturer of the light set up on your video camera. Everything in video today is so much smaller and lighter in weight. :)
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Your more then welcome to join us Roger! Fortune Pond is an awesome place to dive too as long as your set up properly for the cold. The hot chili at the end doesn't hurt either! :)

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”