Robohips77
Master Diver

2015 Sand Dog?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Curious if anyone is taking the lead on a Sand Dog for 2015? :roll:
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: 2015 Sand Dog?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:24 pm

It might be nice if anyone who has attended all of the Sand Dogs coordinate one. Sand Dog X was a bust due to poor attendance. So my coordination days have expired.

Any new kids on the block willing to give it a go??
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Herman
VDH Moderator

Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:58 pm

Henry and I were looking forward to going, I had planned to attend last year but unforeseen personal reasons got in the way, this year they are not an issue. If nothing else, a simple meeting at some of the springs (like SD 9) would be fine with us. If you guys remember the hotel we were in, Henry and myself are in.....as long as Allen doesn't take his light into the cave again. :)
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:31 pm

With so many people posting about their diving adventures already and the board being quiet about a springtime event I really didn't bother trying to put something together. I'm open to suggestions to something informal for this year....Dive the springs....Get together tell stories (lies)..getting to know FWC agents better :shock:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Why not just redo SD9? The springs were pretty good, no real need to plan except for the hotel....don't recall it's name but it was fine. I just like getting together as much as anything. I know there are few new Fla members that might attend.....
Come to think of it,maybe we should define Sand Dog, there may be some reading this thread who don't know....Basically, it is just a bunch of us from this board (or any one else for that matter) who like to get together in the spring to dive the old gear, swap stories and put faces with the names we see on the board. If you are interested SPEAK UP and let us know you are interested.
Herman

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm

Count Dan and I in.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:34 pm

No quiz this year though. Unless Fred agrees to wear his Miami Vice shorts again 0)
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:53 pm

The bad news is no way I could get away, the good news is no way I could get away. Well, unless it's sometime in mid to late May. A little late for the typical Sand Dog. For those who have never attended, Sand Dog's are a blast. Good people, easy diving, fun. Want to try something you've worked on over the winter? Nothing better then a 72 degree, crystal clear, Florida spring! Try it, you'll like it! Worth the trip. A good way to see a bunch of vintage gear in action too. You might even get to borrow and try something really cool if you ask nice. :)

Jim

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:06 pm

I say we wait for Jim.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Re: Donations Needed Please

Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Robohips77 wrote:I say we wait for Jim.

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:01 pm

May works for me.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 am

Call the dates Jim and we can start promoting it.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 am

Let's get this party started!
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:55 am

+1 on Jim.
and thanks for bringing up the topic, Roger!
Later is better for me, May, or even early June like we did for PCB.
And yes, I still have the shorts :P kept them for 30 years, no reason to cull now! I'm flattered, and more than a little disturbed, they made such a strong impression on anyone other than Barb... :shock:
For the record, it killed me to not make it last year. Would have been great to see everyone, and would have been an excellent opportunity to do some unique, for me, diving in an area with such a rich history... Time & Money... always a struggle that doesn't seem to get any easier... at least not until I'm done paying for private school, and the boy is off on his own and into the world.
IF THERE IS ANY WAY POSSIBLE, I'M IN.
When we did the springs a couple years back, OEM & I made a great loop comming down a day early for an afternoon dip at PCB, then up early for a mid-morning stop at Rainbow river, on the way to the hotel by Friday afternoon, Sat/Sun with VDH, then back north... May try to do something similar as long as we'd (I'd?) be in the area.
Totally agree with Herman, seeing everyone is too good an opportunity to pass up!!! :D :D :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:42 pm

As usual, my attendance requires a bunch of cogs falling into place. I will make it if I can possibly pull it off. That being said, Memorial Day falls on the 25th this year, so that weekend should be avoided. I'm thinking 15 - 17 of May. I'm diving Fortune Pond March 28th. The frost should be off my Kraken by then. LOL

Jim

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”