Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Portage 2014

Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 pm

I know everyone is fixing to go to Sand Dog, but I thought I was put feelers out there and see who is going to Portage Quarry for Legends of Diving this year. I will be joining Jbrians from the forum here at White Star on Friday, August 8th. August 9th will be Portage, and August 10th will be Gilboa. I will also be bringing stuff for swap, sale, etc. It should be a good time, like it always is :)

http://www.whitestarquarry.com/
http://www.portagequarry.com/
http://www.divegilboa.com/
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Portage 2014

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Sand Dog just getting started but I will definitely be at Portage! Wonder how many Argonauts will be in attendance?
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Probably be there
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:14 pm

HI Allan,
good to hear you'll be there. :D :evil: :twisted:
Jl

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator
First Name: Greg

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 am

I'm planning to go as well. The Minnesota group, Van Franko, and I are planning on diving Gilboa on Friday.

Greg
Greg Barlow
PADI Assistant Instructor
TDI Adv. EAN
TDI Decompression Procedures
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:19 am

I was planning on doing Whitestar Friday because I was saving Gilboa for a max depth deco dive. I don't dive my hydroglove that often in Florida, so I was planning on working up to gilboa on Sunday. We can always do Portage on Saturday though!

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:07 am

slonda828 wrote:I was planning on doing Whitestar Friday because I was saving Gilboa for a max depth deco dive. I don't dive my hydroglove that often in Florida, so I was planning on working up to gilboa on Sunday. We can always do Portage on Saturday though!
The bottom of Gilboa remains around 39-41 degrees year round. That my friend, is cold water. I've made many dives to the sump, and am more than happy to be your guide. I do not recommend using an unsealed piston 1st stage, as icing is not uncommon. Of course, an Argonaut or Phoenix would work perfectly.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Ron
Site Admin

Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:10 am

I'm going to test out my newest and warmest drysuit undergarments throughout the weekend, and if I feel like I can take the cold, then Brian and I are shooting for the bottom on Sunday. I have a detailed gas plan for a 62 minute run time deco dive profile that I would like to do with the kraken. It should be a good time, unless my drysuit is too cold, in which case I will dive shallower.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:37 pm

slonda828 wrote:I'm going to test out my newest and warmest drysuit undergarments throughout the weekend, and if I feel like I can take the cold, then Brian and I are shooting for the bottom on Sunday. I have a detailed gas plan for a 62 minute run time deco dive profile that I would like to do with the kraken. It should be a good time, unless my drysuit is too cold, in which case I will dive shallower.

While doing deco dives at Gilboa, I typically use air or EAN30 for back gas. Depending on the dive plan, I use either EAN50 or O2 for the deco. I prefer EAN50 if the deco obligation difference is less than 10 minutes between the two. The advantage of EAN50 is that it can be used as a bail-out gas above 100' in an emergency situation. Gilboa has a lot of interesting items in the 30-60' range, so a lot of the deco obligation clears with a lengthy stay in the 30-40' range. Gives your body a chance to warm up a bit too!

Sitting in Curaçao waiting on my flight to Bonaire. I gurantee that I won't be needing a dry suit....

Looking forward to seeing you and Anna soon!

BTW, do you remember when those two guys spent around 10-15 minutes on the bottom of Portage wearing only their swimsuits? You see all kinds at the Legends events.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Diving a double hose clad in a swimsuit rocks!

USdiver
Master Diver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:35 am

I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing y'all.

My itinerary will be Friday: Gilboa; Saturday: Portage; Sunday: Whitestar. I'm up for about anything, planning on diving wet, but might be convinced to bring my drysuit along.

Wife and the kids (young men now) will probably be there too.

Can't wait to see the Argonaut Kraken perform in it's finished state.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 pm

slonda828 wrote:I was planning on doing Whitestar Friday because I was saving Gilboa for a max depth deco dive. I don't dive my hydroglove that often in Florida, so I was planning on working up to gilboa on Sunday. We can always do Portage on Saturday though!
Do
Gilboa Friday that way your deepest dives are first!!!! :D I think a healthy SAC rate contest should take place between you and the lung might be in order!!
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Robohips77 wrote:
Do
Gilboa Friday that way your deepest dives are first!!!! :D I think a healthy SAC rate contest should take place between you and the lung might be in order!!
No offense Ron, my money is on Barlow... :wink:

Ron
Site Admin

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I vote we stay at the Days Inn. You know the one...right down the road from Portage Quarry.

Greg Barlow
VDH Moderator

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Let's see..... What's wrong with this picture?

I'm talking about making a dive to 130' in 40 degree water with around 30' of visibility in a few weeks. Today, I dove in 82 degree water with 100-125' of visibility.

Bonaire, my favorite dive locale. Herman convinced me to dive here, and now I can't seem to stay away.

Greg
Greg Barlow
TDI Adv. EAN
IANTD Full Cave
NSS/CDS Full Cave

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”