Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: Portage 2014

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 am

It's funny that you mention warm water. I just did wreck dives off of New Smyrna in 84 degree water in my shorts. We had fresh cut fruit in between dives and went swimming during our SIT because it was so hot out. It was an awesome weekend. Now I am back at work messing with this dive plan for diving 140 feet in a sheet rubber drysuit like a rubber fetish Nazi. LOL! I cannot wait for some RVF coffee at Portage and to do some catching up with all of you.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:21 pm

I plan to attend the Legends weekend.
Brian

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:10 pm

Not that any of you lurkers need my encouragement, but the amount of people traveling to attend Portage on August 9th of this year is shaping up to be one of the best years yet. The owners of Vintage Double Hose, The Scuba Museum, and A and D Adventures will all be there. Divers from Canada and both coasts of The US will be there. There will be a large swap meet for vintage gear of all kinds. There will be beer. There will be Mexican food, and there will be sea stories. If you have any doubt whether or not you should go, then I'm telling you that you should go 8) It's going to be a great time. If you haven't used vintage gear before, or if you just want to try it, then there will be tons of us there who would be happy to help you.

-Ron

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:38 pm

I shipped a Hawaiian pack and Argonaut ahead of me for quick and easy test dives for those who are interested.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

kgehring
Master Diver

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:03 pm

ScubaMuseum.com From Indy Will be there with repro decals and boxes of stuff to sell!
http://www.scubamuseum.com
Over 400 vintage regulators in my collection

Ron
Site Admin

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Forgive me Karl, I forgot about the Indy Scuba Museum. I don't know how, because your decals adorn all my stuff. That's a minimum of four vintage gear vendors, plus legends, plus a swap meet, plus camping, plus beer, plus sea stories (which are mostly lies), plus a cast of characters that would normally staff an Agatha Christie novel. :lol:

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:32 pm

I'll post a list of vendors / sellers on VDH facebook page and do a advertisement directed at Ohio,Illinois and Michigan for the next couple of days....See if we can draw some more traffic in.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Wish I could make it this year. Just not in the cards though. I'll just have to settle for the deep wrecks of Lake Michigan and 200 foot viz. Not a bad fall back! See you guys next year!

Jim

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I am sorry that you will not make it this year Jim. You will be missed. Perhaps I will do a swimsuit only dive in your honor!

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:56 pm

Just arrived in Bowling Green, with the whole family. Tomorrow Gilboa; Saturday Portage for Legends of Diving; and Sunday is White Star - as far as our current plans. Can't wait to see y'all and get a closer look at the production Kraken.

George
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I'm sad to report that there will be no "BigMike" sightings at the Portage event this year :( . This months back to school season will keep me in the store. Have a great time and keep the Krackens wet! Mike

I hope the New York bugs didn't follow Allen to Ohio. They were pretty nasty at the Ice Cream place.
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

8dust
Master Diver

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Was/am very down about having to cancel my plans to drive up :(
School is back in here too and the free time is in extra short supply...
On the upside, I get to watch my favorite 12y.o. athlete kick in the season's first football game, and also play the season's first game with a new soccer club :D
So while I'd really like to see you crusties, it's family first!
Catch yall next year & have a cold one for me. :wink:
Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Bryan
Plank Owner

Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:15 am

Another year at Portage Quarry is in the books. Veterans of the event know that it's more about the people than the diving. It's the one time a year I get to catch up and visit with so many people that I only correspond with by E-mail or phone. Each year I do the math on trip cost and realize that I could have spent the same amount of time in the tropics for what I spend to go to Ohio! Despite that I wouldn't trade a weekend at Portage with the double hose gang for anything! Next years event is not certain but do yourself a favor and mark a spot on your calendar for next year in August and plan to attend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:37 pm

Hey Ron, If Portage is too cold just remember Panama City on 16-17 Aug. That should help keep you warm in your dry suit. Just the thought of warm water makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:13 am

I really look forward to the PORTAGE event every year. Jeff and Monica do such a great job making sure we have everything we need. This year was no different. IN fact they even made sure we had perfect weather. Not a single drop of rain or dare even a cloud was seen. The viz was that of a quarry, but it did not stop me from zooming around with the TEKNA RED DRAGON scooter. I know I in fact towed two divers for some time with that thing. It ran for 70 minutes on the original charge. It never did run dead but I recharged it over night in the office at the quarry just so it would be ready for business Saturday, thanks Monica.
The swap meet was stuff that vintage scuba dreams are made of. I bought 3 two hose regs myself. I think I saw one new guy run back and forth from the VDH and TSM table to Allan's Vintage Scuba Stuff table about 40 times before he collapsed into a mass of sweaty shivering humanity clutching some silicone hoses and a cotton harness.
I did not do an official count, but I fell that there was about 20 vintage divers in attendance and that is not counting the modern gear types. At least 3 sets of triples were sighted in the water. Several Argonaut Krakens hit the water some being dived by people that had not even seen one before. Those red hoses really pop out there on and in the water.
Alec brought some of his Sea Hunt collection and gave a really great presentation once again. I never get tired of hearing Alec talk. He can really keep your attention. It amazes me that Jeff can get people like Alec to come to the quarry. We are truly fortunate to have this opportunity.
Bob Kroft came with some 50 copies of his new book. I am pretty sure that he left with none. Bob was nice enough to autograph almost every book bought. Bob is a real class act and a joy to be around.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”