And just one for aesthetics:

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Double Hosers Explore Bonaire May 2014

Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

No missing those red hoses! Thanks for the pictures Alan :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed May 21, 2014 7:06 am

We don't want to leave Allan out.
Allan.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Herman

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed May 21, 2014 7:37 am

As you guys have been in Coz. and Bonaire (likely other spots too), Im just curious, what has been the responses from the Dive Ops and general public with showing up to dive with DH units?
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 am

Interestingly, the response is more from other divers. "Wow, I never saw one of those". "Is it old?" However when you offer to allow them to use one, the response is usually, thanks, but no thanks. The dive ops could care less what gear you use. This time one of the DMs tried an Argonaut. Usually they are so busy that they don't have much time to try the regs. We have learned to not make a deal out of the gear you use. Just set-up like you know what you are doing and nobody cares.

Divemaster/boat captain Yago from Spain trying the Argonaut

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed May 21, 2014 9:12 am

rhwestfall wrote:As you guys have been in Coz. and Bonaire (likely other spots too), Im just curious, what has been the responses from the Dive Ops and general public with showing up to dive with DH units?
I have dove my Phoenix and/or Argonaut with 4 differnent ops on Bonaire, Cocoview in Roatan, Unexo in the Bahammas, 2 differnet dive ops in the Keys and Scuba Club in Coz, so far with no negative reactions. I just go on board, set up like I know what I am doing- don't ask, don't tell. So far I have not had any negative reactions, some funny looks, occasionally lots of questions from other divers but nothing negative. I also dive them at 2 local quarries and have had no issues there as well. I think the key is to have good looking gear (no ratty hoses or harnesses taped together), act like you know what you are doing and don't make any kind of fuss about the gear.
Herman

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 pm

rhwestfall wrote:As you guys have been in Coz. and Bonaire (likely other spots too), Im just curious, what has been the responses from the Dive Ops and general public with showing up to dive with DH units?
The question I am invariably asked by relative new divers who spy my Phoenix Aqua Master is, "Is that a new compact type of re-breather?" After patiently and enthusiastically explaining how a DH works in contrast to a single hose I am usually met with a glassy-eyed stare. Divers who have been around for awhile usually preface the conversation with "Those old things are dangerous and never worked quite right. They are ok if you like sucking air through a garden hose...." and on and on. In Southern California most (not all) dive boats only care that you come back from the dive "not dead." As long as I look like I know what I'm doing no dive boat overlord has ever given me any hassle for using a DH.
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 pm

I have dove with a number of dive operators in a number of places (with Herman and Allan and others, but sometimes just Christine and I). Some of the same places that has been mentioned: Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan Honduras, the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Florida, but also Turks & Caicos, and a number of operators in Puerto Rico and Vieques.

I have never had an issue with anyone. The closes might have been a slight comment from an operator in a Quarry in Ohio, but even that was just a comment, no restriction.

A couple of operators in PR and Vieques were actually thrilled that we actually knew how to assembled our own dive kit and did not need help installing our own regulator. I am not kidding. Many operators will offer to set up our gear, but they respect and appreciate when I tell them that I rather do it myself.

As mentioned above, it is not only important that you know what you are doing, but it also important that you look like you know what you are doing.

My observation is that asking for permission to use a double hose or vintage gear is the absolute worst thing you can do. Asking for permission not only opens the door to be denied, IMO it actually shows lack of confidence.

My experience is that if you are truly confident of your gear (and skills), I haven’t had anyone question it.

I was talking to Augusto (dive shop manager at Buddy Dive Bonaire) and he mentioned that someone recently asked him if it was OK to use vintage gear. He said that not only he didn’t care, but he even seemed surprised why they would even ask.

I will try to post some pictures from Bonaire later.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed May 21, 2014 2:29 pm

As I await my DH, I somewhat feel I have challenges before me. Most of my diving is either through a LDS who has chartered the boat (and claims control of all diving as they are "responsible" as it is their DM's - god I hate this) that I have signed up with, or filling seats on boats still fully chartered by some out of town group, again at the discretion of the chartering group.

Knowing how I was "harassed" when I had the local shop do a VIP on a single post, j-valve, set of doubles I have assembled for my Kraken, I know all this is going to be an uphill battle..... they already "dislike" me as I dive a BP/W with a cave configuration of regulators on single and double tanks, and slowly have turned a few of their divers onto gear configurations they don't carry/sell..... the DH will likely really send them over the cliff....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed May 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Bob,
I live in Rochester and will do you vips anytime. I have a few tanks and decided long ago that paying the VIP price was great for the LDS, but a bit overboard for me. Take the class and do your own.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Wed May 21, 2014 7:58 pm

I have never once had a problem with a Phoenix and modern gear in Florida, Aruba, Georgia, The Caymans, or Washington state FWIW. The only time people have ever given me grief is when I show up with actual vintage gear. I have been told no three times in Florida with no BC, an original double hose with no accessories, etc. Having said that, I also used strictly vintage gear in Aruba, and they loved it. All of my gear is pristine, and those of you who have seen my gear know that. I got turned away in Tampa like three blocks from Bryan's house by a local dive shop for having vintage gear. I think the phoenix and modern gear get less flack because it looks obviously "new".
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Back to thread topic:

Scotttyd
Skin Diver
First Name: Scott

Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 pm

good pics Allen - had a blast - I never get tired of that island

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed May 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Scottyd dived the entire week with NO BC, just a plastic backpack. And his buoyancy control was perfect to the deepest depths we dove. Such things as wings and poodle jackets not needed by this great diver.

But, one must mention one of the best (and hottest) Buddy Divemasters/Boat Captains: DANNY

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu May 22, 2014 10:10 am

Yago, a dive master, trying an Argonaut.

Steve and Diane

Christine

He tried it, but it didn't work well with his BC

Scotty

Lots of juveniles:

Lots of marine life

But they do have lion fish. We ate some. It was tasty.

Allan

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”