stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Any Vintage Divers in My Area?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and to vintage diving. In fact, I don't yet own any vintage gear, unless you count a Scubapro Balanced Adjustable as vintage. But I did get in on the $100 pledge for the Argonaut Kraken and hoping to get the chance to purchase one before the year is out.

What I'm wondering is - are there any vintage divers or groups in the Davenport, Iowa area that I could get in touch with? I'm sure I'll have a few questions about getting best performance with a double hose regulator. I'm also curious to try diving without a BC and using a vintage style harness and backplate.

Thanks,
Steve

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Any Vintage Divers in My Area?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:55 pm

Welcome to the board Steve.
I am not close to you but always happy to answer any question I can.
For no BC diving, I suggest you start by getting your weighting dead on then dive your normal kit except you start with your BC completely vented, avoid touching your inflator if you can and control your bouyancy with breath control. This way you can practice diving without a BC but if you find you are having issues, you can just revert back to normal. I think what you will find it's actually very easy if you have your weights right.
Herman

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:34 pm

Join us at Sand Dog in NY. You will get a lot of chances to try different vintage regs. Also if you are looking for a 2 hose before you can get your own Argonaut email me and I can probably hook you up with one. I have a few for sale.

stephenws
Skin Diver

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for the responses and advice. Much appreciated.

- Steve

9fingers
Diver
First Name: Tim

Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:08 am

Steve, I'm from "Coast", Washington State/greater Seattle area- Go Seahawks! (sorry Bronco fans)…but my Mother was born in Dubuque in '26 and lived there and in Davenport till she left there at 6 years old with her family to live and work on a farm in S. Dakota.

I still have relatives in the Dakotas and Montana and may have to bring my dive gear back there sometime to show the other side of the family what they are missing- lots of water in the northern Dakotas for diving- particularly with the localized flooding in the last ten or so years- my family in the Aberdeen area often have significant acreage that is too wet to grow on or have cattle graze on- ironic with the draught in the midwest- that starts an hour or two S. of my cousin's farms.

Welcome to VDHose! I encourage you to read the posts here and do searches for things you have questions on, as well as to ask away by posting. There are a lot of knowledgeable vintage divers here.

Cheers, Tim Hogan, Edmonds, WA

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:05 pm

Just for Grins, I ran up Davenport Iowa to Port Washington Wisconsin, the heart of Swimjim land. 4 hours and 10 minutes. Kind of a haul, but not out of the question. If your okay with colder water diving on Lake Michigan, that might be an option. I would suggest July as that is when Lake Michigan seems to be in her best mood, although like any other lady, that can change in a heart beat!
I don't know what your skill set is, but we have nice wrecks to visit as shallow as 50 feet of water. Be prepared for surface temps in the 50's and 60's and bottom temps 38 to 42 degrees or so. Rob has dove most of the local stuff out of my boat. He usually uses his hydroglove.
For about the same mileage you could do Lake Wazee in Black River Falls Wisconsin. Seahunt Jerry and Surflung have been known to frequent that area. I get up there myself here and there. Keep an eye on the forum as mass vintage visits to Lake Wazee happen once or twice a summer.

Jim

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:47 pm

Finding the closest Clear Water diving spots is often a challenge. I'm in Central Minnesota and here's where I go:
- Local Alexandria MN lakes can get 20+ feet visibility in Springtime.
- Northwest of here about 30 minutes away is Eagle Lake with sometimes 15-30 ft viz and fesh water coral.
- North of here is good quarry diving at Crosby Ironton 16-30 ft viz.
- Even further north is Gilbert with Ore-Be-Gone Lake where the visibility can me great 15-30 ft viz and they have sunken street cars, helicopter, airplace, school bus, etc.
- Southeast to the Twin Cities we have Square Lake which can be up to 20' on a good day and down to 1-2 on a bad one... Ask Sea Hunt Jerry.
- Way southeast is Wazee. I had an absolutely wonderful dive weekend there last Summer. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7066... Water was really clear, sun was shining and warm, blue sky. Visibility had to be 20-30 feet that day. Next time we went wasn't as good and cloudy weather. Sunshines helps everywhere!
- Sea Hunt Jerry Lang does most of the organizing for the Vintage Group that dives out of the Twin Cities. Get ahold of him through this forum and get on his mailing and calling list.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

stephenws
Skin Diver

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Yes, I've been to Wazee a few times in the past. I really like the Black River Falls area. I enjoy riding my motorcycle up there for weekend camping.

Jim, I just watched a video of you and Rob and ….. sorry, can't remember the third, doing some wreck diving on the Niagara and other wrecks in your area. Looks like a great place.

I've been certified for about 20 years, but I've been inconsistent with my diving. In all that time I've only got a little over 100 logged dives. Biggest problem is finding someone to dive with. And so it's been on and off over the years - a few trips to the Caribbean, some Lake Michigan wreck diving, a great week of diving in the San Juan Islands of Washington State (my favorite dive location so far!) and many trips to Haigh Quarry and a few to Wazee.

I remember about 10 years ago, I was really interested in diving vintage gear, mainly just wanted to experience diving with a double hose reg. But at that time I wasn't able to find much available in regs or parts. It's great to see that things have changed and a lot of vintage gear is now available and serviceable.

It would be great to dive with you and others from this group, but I'm coming off a 3 year hiatus from diving and will be working this summer to get my skills up to speed and also get used to some vintage gear.

Steve

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm about 4 hours south of you. I'm on the Illinois side of St. Louis. About an hour and a half south of here is a place called Mermet Springs which is a quarry that has been transformed into an awesome diving location. They have sunk all sorts of cool stuff to dive in and around between 20 & 60 feet. They have ropes strung between some of the major attractions which makes navigation easy. The visibility is usually 20+ and better as you get deeper. There is a noticable thermocline and it can get chilly (hood & gloves). I like going in the spring and fall when you are not roasting in a full wetsuit or drysuit on your way to and from the quarry. If you ever get down this way, let me know. I have two VDH re-built DAs that I like to use there.
If you can make it to the Sand Dog event, I encourage you (and anyone interested) to attend. I went last year and was the only "newbie" for the first day of diving. The group made me feel welcome :D . Some of the guys bring a truckload of their gear with them so there will be all sorts of vintage regs to try. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

stephenws
Skin Diver

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Mike,

I have been diving at Mermet Springs, a few years back. I believe it was during a DUI demo weekend. Kinda crowded that day, but lots to see there and very nice facilities.

When is this Sand Dog event? I'm guessing this is a vintage dive event? I'd definitely like to get back to Mermet this year. I'll contact you when I do.

Steve

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm

If your headed over to Mermet, be sure and post it here. I haven't been there since 2006, but wouldn't mind going back. For me it's an 8 hour trip, but it would give me an excuse to visit a sister of mine in ST Louis.

Jim

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:07 am

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”