simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Re: Sand Dog XI, St. Lawrence River, July 2014

Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Wellesley Island is directly across the river from Alexandria Bay. However it is about 10 miles via roads to go from the island to the central location. If you are considering camping either tent or RV, be sure to make a reservation asap. You can cancel later but unless you have a site reserved, it could be tight. Possible good campgrounds are: Grass Point State Park, Kewadin State Park, and Wellesley Island State Park.
There are other camp areas, but these three are the closest.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:40 pm

SimonB:

I know the Vickery is off the Lighthouse there in the narrows off Grass Point. Do you know if you can reach it some way from shore? The only time I dove it has been via boat... Fantastic dive!
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Not possible unless you are an olympic distance swimmer into a strong current. It is in the shipping channel.
http://www.shipwreckworld.com/maps/a-e- ... -shipwreck

Click on the above link and then zoom in.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 pm

My bad.... Forgot where Rock Island Reef was compared to the shore. Knew land was close, but I didn't remember it was an island. Thanks.
Bob

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:16 am

UPDATE......UPDATE......Reserve Now.....For Sand Dog Weekend in NY......Motel is on the water with direct access for our boats.....Rooms are held till Wednesday the 11th only.....Alan is up there now talking with folks and will update more when he returns later today.....If you are going to Sand Dog....RESERVE NOW PLEASE :D

Otter Creek Inn
Alexandria Bay NY
913-482-5248

http://www.ottercreekinnabay.com/
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Dear vintage dive friends,
Sand Dog 11 is a 100% go. To give you some information as to some of the issues I have dealt with, here is some chronology:
Alexandria Bay, 1000 Islands on the St. Lawrence River is approximately 165 miles from me. With express highways 99% of the way, it is about a 2 1/2-2 3/4 hour drive. I have dove there for many years and thus thought this location will make a great Sand Dog. The motel that was perfect for this event is called the Ledges; with marina, riverside location, pool, large yard, gazebo, etc. I have tried to contact them since my first post, months ago. Emails, phone calls, etc. Knowing that this area along the St. Lawrence is extremely seasonal, I was not concerned as their website indicates either a May 1 or June 1 opening. Well June 1 came and went and no contact, thus I drove there today to find not a motel at the Ledges location but a very large hole in the ground. Seems they quit. Humm, 1950s till last year.
So, it was off to plan B.
Bryan has indicated above a contact for plan B, namely, Otter Creek Inn, which is on water that connects directly to the St. Lawrence. Check the website in the last thread. Ok, motel set, sort of. Seems July is the big month of the season. Full of activities including the Vintage Boat Show, which happens to be the weekend I chose. So, motels are at a premium.
Otter Creek has a limited number of rooms reserved for us (Vintage Dive Group). If you try and they are booked, here are two more:

T and C Co. A B & B a feather throw from Otter Creek Inn.
315-482-2451

Capt's Inn and Suites
(315) 482-9332
They have 10 rooms reserved for us until 6-11-14 (Vintage Dive Group, Sand Dog)

Remember if you want to do a great 3 tank dive on the Canadian Side of the River with SeeWay Vision, (see about thread) contact me via [email protected] and let me know. We need a minimum number of 8 and a max 22. Details are listed above. Email me at the inclosed email and I will give you a phone number to call if you would like more info.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:49 pm

For those who would like to share a room, make a post here as I do not know who is coming.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:02 am

New FYI: 6/6 St. Lawrence water temp is 56. 48-49 days until Sand Dog 11. Think hot. Those in the western Great Lakes, pee more, heats up the lake water which will get to the St. Lawrence by then. The Great Lakes contain 5,500 cu mi of water. But only about 1 % of that becomes outflow. Thus you on Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and me on Ontario will pour some hot water in the neighboring lake and we will get to the temp of Caribbean standards. (oh and the 1000 Island bridge is for sale, make me an offer.) :lol:

frogman63
Lung Diver
First Name: Brian

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Reservations made today. I'll do my best from Michigan to help with the water temp's.

Brian

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Reservations also made. I have a room with two beds if someone is also coming by themselves and wants to share and keep the cost down. PM me if interested. Mike
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:46 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Saturday night group dinner will be catered Chicken BBQ by none other than Fast Freddie Chicken of Alexandria Bay. The dinner will be served in a pavilion at Grass Point State Park on Saturday, July 19. The cost of the dinner is $11 per person, with a buck added to help with the pavilion rental.
I will need to know the number of dinners you want me to order for you. Please email me the number of dinners you want to order ASAP. [email protected]

I have had his catering for many years and it is quite good. More details to follow about Sand Dog XI.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Is this like the whole half chicken dinner at Portage? ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:36 pm

Bryan wrote:Is this like the whole half chicken dinner at Portage? ?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
If that's the case, I hope they let you eat it...... They didn't at Portage. :x

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:11 am

simonbeans wrote:I drove there today to find not a motel at the Ledges location but a very large hole in the ground.
it was a hard winter ya know.....
Bob

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:03 am

Here is the NOAA buoy site for Alexandria Bay dive locations:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=alxn6

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”