Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Re: Sand Dog IX Information.

Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 am

I am bringing two steel 72s and two aluminum 50s. They are the same 6.9 inch diameter so they work in the same bands (or possibly harness). I am sorry that I cannot bring my entire fleet. I hear that Captain Madere has some nice tanks for sale. If y'all do not buy them I might.

Creed, bud, if I get there early enough on Thursday and I am not dead tired, I will try to dive with you. Please, if I do, do not get me arrested, I am getting to fragile emotionally for all that, lol.

Been working on regulators all night, drinking wine, getting drunk and trying to prep for SD. Not sure I am making good progress. The movie, the Grey is terrifying, damn them wolves. Well, there is one thing for sure, if all of my twin hoses go to Hades, I can dive my good ol'Titan or T2100 or R109 or AMF/Voit, they always work. I guess my double hose will work, put them new fangled HPR things in 'em and know I do not know what the Hades I got. My wife keeps asking me why I keep messing with those old things when I had them working like a Swiss watch, I have no answer except I hate being out done. I am not sure my venturi vane and standard nozzle with urethane seat is a lesser thing than the HPR but I guess I shall see cuz I undid it all to be compliant when I was already a super HPR. Oh well, it all comes clean in the end.

Nem

Creed
Master Diver

Sun May 20, 2012 4:41 am

Nemrod wrote:Creed, bud, if I get there early enough on Thursday and I am not dead tired, I will try to dive with you. Please, if I do, do not get me arrested, I am getting to fragile emotionally for all that, lol.
I'm not making any promises!

I'm going to go ahead and book a camping spot. That will let me have a legitimate reason to hang around after closing.
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Tue May 22, 2012 8:47 am

This is who is on the list for boat diving Saturday afternoon. If I need to change or make adjustments please E-mail me [email protected]

Luis, Rental 80's with NITROX
James, Rental 80's with NITROX
Bryan, Rental 80's with NITROX
Brian, Rental 80's with NITROX
Rob ST, Rental 80's with NITROX
Barb, Rental 80's with NITROX
Joe, Rental 80's with NITROX
Rob SE, Own cylinders
Fred, Own cylinders
Tom, Own cylinders
Roger, Own cylinders
Dan, Own cylinders

Henry, Maybe
Herman, Maybe
Michael. Not boat diving
Bill Not boat diving
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Creed
Master Diver

Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 am

I'm probably not going out on the boat.

Popeye
Master Diver

Tue May 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Bryan wrote:Sand Dog IX will be held in Panama City Beach Florida June 8th through 10th.

Our dive store will be The Dive Locker Tony Snow is the owner and our host.

Friday's diving will be at the jetties in St Andrews State Park
This is the perfect place to get your gear sorted out and do some relaxing shore diving. Lots of info and pictures all around the net on this site.

Friday night we will be gathering for supper at J. Michael's Restaurant on recommendation by our own Bernie Campoli.

Saturday is boat diving with The Dive Locker. Each person is responsible for making their own reservations for a spot on the boat. Each boat can hold 17 divers and I can see this year we may need both boats.

In between the morning and afternoon dives our own Bernie Campoli and some of his friends will be catering our traditional "Sand Dog" cookout in the parking lot of The Dive Locker. Please be sure and give generously to the beer fund for the all volunteer armada providing us lunch :D :D

If you don't want to boat dive the jetties are available as are Morrison and Vortex springs.

Saturday night we will be gathering for supper at Captain Jacks Seafood Buffet

Sunday is wide open....Jetties, Boats, Springs etc.

Hotels are all over the map....I would recommend getting on Orbitz and or a similar site and getting the best deal possible where you can. PCB traffic is a pain like any other resort area so I would recommend finding a place as close to the shop as you can...

Tony says they will fill cylinders to their rated pressure as long as hydro and VIP are current. NO pre 89 aluminum cylinders.
If you have questions or need specific details please contact him directly.

Barb, Bernie and Tony have all been a great help putting all this together and they were so quick about it that we have plenty of time to make plans.
The illustrious Allan K will be handling the media outlets and getting us coverage wherever we can.

LOOKING FORWARD TO A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Tue May 22, 2012 3:56 pm

We aren't planning on the afternoon boat dive at this time, but it's a possibility if space became available again at the last minute. If not, we will be happy as clams just diving the jetties, since we are headed on to Jupiter Beach and other places for several days of boat diving after Sand Dog.

We will be at Sand Dog for the Thursday event and Friday beach dive, Saturday diving of some kind, and any meals and meet-ups that are arranged through Saturday night, probably driving east on Sunday.

Mainly, looking forward to meeting all attending.
See ya there,
Bill & Francie
The older I get the better I was.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Tue May 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Dan and Roger are a YES :D Own Cylinders
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 pm

As has been posted already, the tides for the inlet are favorable for morning to noon-ish diving at the St Andrew Jetty. High tide shows to be between 11AM and 1PM through the period with a incoming current and then slack water--perfect. This, however, highly DISFAVORS afternoon and especially evening/night diving as the current will be ripping OUT of the inlet bringing reduced viz and the possibility of a long swim to Cuba.

Creed
Master Diver

Fri May 25, 2012 9:03 am

Nemrod wrote:This, however, highly DISFAVORS afternoon and especially evening/night diving as the current will be ripping OUT of the inlet bringing reduced viz and the possibility of a long swim to Cuba.
The viz would still be worlds better than around here. The current would be my only concern.

8dust
Master Diver

Fri May 25, 2012 12:32 pm

When in doubt, hold onto a rock! :o :mrgreen:
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Creed
Master Diver

Fri May 25, 2012 3:50 pm

8dust wrote:When in doubt, hold onto a rock! :o :mrgreen:
Indeed. I can crawl back to the beach :shock:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator

Fri May 25, 2012 5:43 pm

There is some good and bad with this night mission. I will give the good news first:

1. Nemrod swims as much as 7 miles a week or more and as long as the water is warm I can and will make it back to shore.

2. The dive boat goes out the next day and I will be on it and I promise I will look for you.

Now for the bad news:

3. You might be a corpse when we find you.

Unlike lakes in Kansaw and Mossouri, the ocean is unforgiving. :twisted:

Nem

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Fri May 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Eva an I have these and water weenies and even then I wonder :| :|

http://www.alertdiver.com/?articleNo=480

.....A long time ago in a galaxy far away called November of 1981 I took a looong ride on the PCB outgoing tide....It was very cold and got dark real fast...I got picked up by a returning dive boat from Hydrospace Dive Shop. Later I drank 4 hurricanes and had a fight with a parked boat....good times.....good times....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 pm

If you dive the jetties in the morning and get swepted out the afternoon boat dive can pick you up on the way back in.
Captain

Creed
Master Diver

Sat May 26, 2012 8:28 am

Hmm, I'm sensing a pattern here. I suppose I can restrict my nighttime adventures to fresh water. 8)

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”