swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Icewurst 2012

Sat May 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Even better weather today if such a thing is possible. Great conditions underwater too. There was a fellow diving a KISS CCR. I walked over and introduced myself and invited him over for a bratwurst. He joined us. Turns out he was in the same dive club in Maine and has dove with Luis. He knew all about the Phoenix and was interested in the HPR. Small world. Speaking of the HPR, I had mine down 145 feet today and it was silky smooth. I think I have the venturi adjusted to my liking now. I'll probably do one more dive with it in the morning before heading south.
I had some camera issues this morning, but I will be posting a few pic's after I return home. Although the attendance was light, myself and Eben were the vintage contingent, we also got another half dozen divers involved and a great time was had by all. Air temps in the 80's and low humidity made topside stuff really comfortable. The bottom temps were around 40, but the thermocline was at 30 feet and above that it was around 50. I did a 20 minute dive in my 3 mil vintage get up using my DivAir model B and a Klauda harness. I wish I had a picture of me swimming next to the guy in his KISS rebreather. What a contrast of old and new.

Jim

SeaHuntJerry
Master Diver

Sun May 20, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Swimjim,
Glad you and Eben did a lot of diving.I was a Wayzee on Friday water temp 63 down to 30 feet around 53.
Jerry :lol: :twisted:

swimjim
Master Diver

Sun May 20, 2012 8:51 pm

Well, we had about 50 down to 30 feet, but we had over 100 foot viz instead of 25. By the way, Fortune Pond is free to get in and you had to pay for the luxury of crappy viz. LOL. Sorry for your less then stellar experience. Perhaps next time you'll come to the right place.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 pm

Looking forward to the photos, and I'm pretty sure there's video as well :D

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Mon May 21, 2012 9:24 am

The Attraction of Fortune...
- There was a Lake Michigan wreck diver who had heard about our Fortune Pond dive and drove over to check us out. He asked, "What's the attraction for diving here?" I said, "Clear Water". He said, "I can see 100' in Lake Michigan." And that got me to thinking... It really is MORE than just the clear water... So here's my take on it:
- This weekend I dove a bit deeper than I'm used to going. The ledges start at about 70' down. You get to the first one and then there's another at 80'. From there, you might be looking down on a flat area that has another ledge. I swam laterally and came around a ridge where the view made me exclaim something like, "Wow". I flew over the ridge and soared down the valley to 127'... The sun is shining, I'm looking off into the distance, I'm flying, and my SUUNTO computer says I can't stay here very long. So I begin the long flight back up out of the valley...
- And there, in a nutshell is the attraction of Fortune Pond. Within 100' feet of your car, you can be flying like a bird over mountainous landscapes. If you are a novice deep diver like me, you can learn with light and visibility on your side, with physical references to show you where you are and whether you're going up and down... You can experience the decompression timing, air consumption, and swimming distance under the best of conditions.
- SwimJim Bach is like an Ambassador of Diving. The group he assembled for this trip exhibited diving and equipment from Vintage to modern to closed circuit rebreather... (The CCR guy is our new friend thanks to Jim's outgoing personality... We made him an honorary vintage diver because he had two hoses)... Many thanks to Jim for introducing me to Fortune Pond, setting up this dive, and all his help with my technical questions. :D
- Sorry I don't have pictures and video this time... I was trying out some new equipment and diving a bit out of my comfort zone with the depth!
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

swimjim
Master Diver

Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 am

I just finished a huge flooring job which has been keeping me from doing anything else since Icewurst. I was off yesterday so I sat down and put together this little video of the Icewurst experience. https://vimeo.com/43156678 Regrettably, my video housing and my camera we not working correctly when I was up there, so I didn't get much footage, but I think I captured the event okay with what I was able to get.

Jim

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am

I like the title :D Well, since its the first, then so far, it's also the best of the wurst! :D

Vintagediver
Master Diver

Thu May 31, 2012 10:35 am

That was a great video Jim; I really enjoyed it. After watching it I'm really wishing that I could have made it up there with you guys. :mrgreen: Hopefully sometime this summer or fall I'll be able to make it up there, and with a little luck get together with some of you for a dive. Thanks again for posting another great video! 8) Hope to see you at Portage in August! Terry
The friendship of many has been inspired and created while together we've explored beneath the waves the wonders of God's creation.

NAVED Member #137
Member of The 2016, 2017 Sea Hunt Forever Dive Team

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:09 pm

A great video production as always! Well, done SwimJim! Barb and I need to get back up your way this summer, if not for the diving then for the brauts!

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 pm

1969ivan1 wrote:A great video production as always! Well, done SwimJim! Barb and I need to get back up your way this summer, if not for the diving then for the brauts!
Yeah,m I second that!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm

- Geez SwimJim... Thanks for posting the video. I didn't think your housing worked so it is a real pleasant surprise to see the underwater footage. Watching your video, I'm re-living the great diving we had that weekend. I hope we're not waiting until September to go again, are we?
SurfLung

swimjim
Master Diver

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:24 pm

I may make it up there this summer for an overnighter, but not a full weekend until at least the weekend after Labor Day. The interest just isn't there for an event. Too bad too, it's a pretty awesome place.

SurfLung
Master Diver

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:55 am

- I don't need an "event" but it's nice to have somebody to dive with. For me it's 5 hours to Wazee and 7 hours to Fortune... Fortune's worth the extra 2 hours if I'm already willing to drive 5. I don't mind the drive but I do need to plan ahead for a 3 day weekend when there's that much travel time.
SurfLung

EHowe
Master Diver
First Name: Edward

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:28 am

Great vid! I think I saw a spotted cow! Heading north next week to Baraboo. Hope to see Devils lake from the bottom this year.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”