Your choice location for Sand Dog IX

Poll ended at Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Panama City, boat charter visit Bernie and possibly The Dive Lab
41%
Ocala area, Paradise Springs, Alexander Springs, maybe weekie?
9%
Palm Beach/Jupiter, Dive with Lisa! Visit the UDT/SEAL museum
14%
Key Largo/Islamorada, Silent World seems to like us 2 hosers.\
36%

Total votes: 22
Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sand Dog IX Your Opinion Counts

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Once again many thanks go out to Herman and the gang for carrying on without many of us at Sand Dog VIII!!! It was a rocky period for many of us and I hope that smooth sailing will be in order for this years event.

We will be in Florida this year and unless the lotto comes though for me we will be in Florida the following year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Sand Dog :D

Please select one of the options above and post your comments/suggestions below if you have other ideas or suggestions. I would appreciate it if only the divers that are actually planning on attending the event cast a vote...That way it will give a more accurate feel for where to search.

For 6 of the Sand Dog events Allan (SimonBeans) has been our event co-ordinator/planner/troubleshooters etc and there is NO WAY we could have pulled it off without him.
Alas the Sea Hunt event and the other things he has going on right now are preventing him from being the ringleader this year...SOOOOO I am looking for help....If you have ever dreamed of being a cruise director or if you play one at home I could sure use your help...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: Sand Dog IX Your Opinion Counts

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 pm

I really like doing the Springs in April because it's easy. Up here in the great white North things tend to slow down in the winter months as there is either ice diving or more ice diving. Besides being warm, clear, fresh water, I like testing things out that I have rebuilt and or tweaked during the winter months. What breaths well on the bench does not necessarily breath well in the water. This can be problematic on an ocean drift dive for example. The springs are also a cheap date saving cashola for lodging and meals. One might have to drive a bit more and that's a trade off I can accept. After drive over a thousand miles another fifty is no big deal. By the way, that Holiday Inn in Ocala was really nice!!! If we use Ocala as a base of operations, I'll vote for that as lodging.

Jim

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:38 pm

I voted Weekend at Bernie’s, but here is a twist: For those not big fans of the cattle boat thing… Both Vortex and Morrison springs are within easy reach of PCB, and the Jetty at St. Andrews St. Park is great! As a bonus for non-divers or the tired and/or gassed-up divers, the lagoon makes for really nice snorkeling there with all kinds of stuff to see. The Jetty can easy be 3 dives: out deep & back shallow S, out deep & back shallow N, and out around the end and back on the inside. Some folks him ‘n haw about the vis once the tide changes, but at its absolute worst it has to still be 10x better than a quarry. Plus lots of sea-life and a couple of nice big covered picnic pavilions. Bit of a walk form parking to water’s edge, but if we all line up and trudge along, we can make believe we’re in the Foreign Legion. I also had really good luck this past summer with renting a pontoon boat at the state park and doing my own thing wherever I wanted.

Only been down twice so I don’t want to go on like too much of an authority, but have had fantastic family trips both times. :D

Maybe Bernie can chime in with the local view…

Fred
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Herman
VDH Moderator

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:23 pm

I wished more could have come but stuff happens. In any case I am in, just tell me when and where. I personally prefer the Keys but lets be honest, 99% of the reason I come is to visit.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:35 pm

From those choices my personal preference would be the keys.
Second choice would be Palm Beach/Jupiter (and Visit the UDT/SEAL museum).

One thing to keep in mind that the early spring is probably not the best time for either of these places, with respect to the weather and the seas. A bit later (late May, maybe early June) it is supposed to be a lot better chances of finding calm seas.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:41 pm

May/June is fine with me....Water temp @ PCB is in the 70's and the Keys is in the 80's so it's 3mil or short for most everyone.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:10 pm

Well, I would LOVE to have everyone come to see me!!!!

Of course I'm totally in, no matter where Sand Dog lands. Based on the time of year, my preference has to be the Keys....and second PCB/weekend at Bernie's. (Is he OK with that?) :D

Bryan, if you need help with this just let me know! I'm going to be tied up from now until November 14th at the Museum for our annual Muster event, but after that I can jump in here and help with anything you need. Just Holla!

Lisa

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:51 am

I vote for PCB/Weekend at Bernie's, saving the Florida Springs Area for next year as it is a very special anniversary and where better than to go where it all started.
April, May or June is okay with me, I'm retired. :)

Lisa I'd be glad to help, and we can always try to charm Allan into giving us some guidance....

Herman
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:23 am

Aileron wrote:Well, I would LOVE to have everyone come to see me!!!!

Of course I'm totally in, no matter where Sand Dog lands. Based on the time of year, my preference has to be the Keys....and second PCB/weekend at Bernie's. (Is he OK with that?) :D

Bryan, if you need help with this just let me know! I'm going to be tied up from now until November 14th at the Museum for our annual Muster event, but after that I can jump in here and help with anything you need. Just Holla!

Lisa
I'm good with that as well as long as we don't have to carry a body around with us.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:42 am

I E-mailed Hollywood (Bernie) and eventually he will get back with me or I'll see him at DEMA in Nov. Barb, perhaps you could do a little reconnaissance while you are there in a couple of weeks?

If you are throwing in your lot with PCB please go to the top of the post and VOTE for it...As with anything you can't make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time but around here we generally like to go the direction the majority votes...

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:50 am

From Bernnie

I had breakfest with a couple of diveboat operaters and a dive shop owner(Tony Snow at the Dive Locker) they were asked if they had their choose of May or june diving weather,everyone said June.

The Dive locker is the must profesional dive ehop in town, 2 nice boats,good sized paking lot ,easy acces for air fills etc. 2 miles down the road you turn left and enter St.Andrews state park.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 pm

I voted for Panama City. I would really enjoy the chance to learn from, and possibly dive with, Bernie. There is a lot of military history down there.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Douchebag
Master Diver

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:41 pm

No west coast? :cry: :cry:

USdiver
Master Diver

Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Douchebag wrote:No west coast? :cry: :cry:
I always thought that Panama City Beach (PCB) is on Florida's west coast, ain't that far enough? :twisted:
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Robohips77
Master Diver

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:58 am

I voted Pananma City. But if we do the Keys I still have six dives of vouchers with Silent World that I could use. Either way works with me. Flexible on Dates.
First dives? 1967 and I never lost the fever.

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”