DaleC
Master Diver
First Name: Dale

Northwest get together?

Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Any thoughts of a PAC NW get together in 2011? I'm in SW Can. but would consider travelling south a bit to link up with other vintage divers.
NAVED #203
#20 International Brotherhood for the Assistance of Stateless Persons

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Northwest get together?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:45 am

DaleC wrote:Any thoughts of a PAC NW get together in 2011? I'm in SW Can. but would consider travelling south a bit to link up with other vintage divers.
Hey Dale,

I still have not gotten my Healthways up and running, but I have it disassembled and I'm starting to clean it.

I'm hoping to to some kind of Vintage Dive gathering this summer. Probably late July or August.

I'll keep ya posted on when I'm heading to Seattle again.

Where in BC are you? Sitka's only a 3 or 4 day ferry ride from Prince Rupert if you're getting the bug to travel. Always space and tanks at my place.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

DaleC
Master Diver

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 pm

It's a sad state of affairs when we have to speak in terms of multiple days ferry travel to connect :D

I'm in Abbotsford BC, about 50 miles outside of Vancouver. Oddly enough, I am also only about 5 minutes away from the US border (Washington state). Do post when you are heading south. I know there are at least a couple of vintage divers in the Seattle area and I would definately drive down for some dives.

I've been to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway before and snorkelled in Ketchikan. I'm currently up to my eyeballs in work and a practicum but if I'm ever heading that way again I'll give you a shout.

Good luck on the Healthways.

Dale
NAVED #203

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 am

I'm always up for anything vintage in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I would be happy to host something in association with the Flashback Scuba Museum here in Tacoma. We are also working on getting The Northwest Diving History Association going which will be a partnership bringing together some significant NW collections and archives under one roof and it to will be based in Tacoma. Visit http://www.divinghistory.com The museum is closely associated with a vintage friendly dive shop with everything from air to trimix. There are a variety of diving locations. I could host a movie night at the Museum. This should be an interesting year for diving history in the NW and if things keep going in the current direction Tacoma will be ground zero for vintage diving in the Northwest. Stay tuned. It doesn't have to be a huge event but if people want to get together let me know. Incidentally the Historical Diving Society's events in the Northwest have been their best attended:) -Ryan
"A little less conversation a little more action. . ." -Elvis

www.flashbackscuba.com

DaleC
Master Diver

Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Sea Explorer wrote:... Indecently the Historical Diving Society's events in the Northwest have been their best attended:) -Ryan
A Freudian slip? :D

Great news Ryan, and thanks for posting back. As with most things it just takes a few people to do a little foot work and stick with it. I'm 3.5 Hr's away but would attend a weekend oriented event with enough lead time to plan ahead. Are you showing again at the Tacoma show? If so, perhaps some of us locals can plan a little meet and greet hour at your booth for divers to put faces to the names.

Dale
NAVED #203

Sea Explorer
Master Diver

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Freudian slip indeed. Careless spell check error. Fixed it:)

I will be at the Tacoma show. I would be happy to host a meet and greet at my booth. I will post the booth number when I have one. Maybe we can figure out something more specific then.

-Ryan
"A little less conversation a little more action. . ." -Elvis

www.flashbackscuba.com

DaleC
Master Diver

Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Sounds good. Have fun at the BTS 2011 show this weekend.
NAVED #203

DaleC
Master Diver

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Met up with Ryan at his display this weekend at the Tacoma show. His collection always has a lot to offer in the way of eye candy and I felt a bit like an industrial spy as I snapped close up pictures of many of the rigs while he was away (for reference purposes I swear). A great discussion with Ryan all around including his beginning the Cousteau collection. Way too many pics to post but a highlight of some of the talking points were:

A look inside the RAID to see how the reserve mechanism works and how the tanks are mounted:

A look at the AquaLung Mentor:

The amazing story of how Ryan reproduced this entire rig (including a late night hotel episode):

A look at the Constant Volume Suit including a very narrow method of entry (ah, to be young again):

You can always tell a vintage diver when they go to a tradeshow that is intended to highlight the cutting edge of diving because they spend all their time looking at the old gear. They also manage to find the only old stuff actually for sale. In my case I walked away with the following:

First Edition
First Edition
First Edition
A new book, but on an old subject! Antique Diver would like this book as Ivor used inverted SG's like his.
NAVED #203

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”