fishnbeer
Skin Diver
First Name: Jerry

Attention California and Westcoast vintage divers

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Mark your calendars and save the weekend of October 14/15 2017 for a vintage dive get together in Monterey! This will be a fun event for left coasters to meet and dive together. It will take place at San Carlos Beach (Monterey breakwater). This dive in will be informal and minimalist and everyone is welcome. This event will hopefully start a beginning to get West Coast vintage divers together for once. I'm hoping to make it an annual event. Plans are to set up in the grass area above the beach. I know that the East Coast guys get all the fun so here's a chance for Calif. vintage diversI to finally get together. If anyone is interested in attending give me a shout out. I know it's only two months out, but it's a start. So far we have a small group going but the interest is climbing. One will be diving his Kraken DH. Monterey has great kelp diving as well as sea otters and such. Give a howler if interested or suggestions.
Jerry

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Re: Attention California and Westcoast vintage divers

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Will do. Mark me down, Jerry. Hey the beach diving was real good today down south. We are between hurricanes in Baja

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:23 am

Sounds like a blast but unfortunately I have a previous commitment that weekend. I will be in Monterey tomorrow night (Thursday) staying at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel & Spa On Del Monte Golf Course. I'm flying up tomorrow for a business meeting on Friday. I'll be available if any one in the area wants to have a drink at the bar and swap vintage diving lore. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:36 am

ScubaLawyer wrote: I'm flying up tomorrow for a business meeting on Friday. I'll be available if any one in the area wants to have a drink at the bar and swap vintage diving lore. Mark
Hello Mark-
It just so happens that I'm driving down today to take grandkids to Santa Cruz Boardwalk tomorrow. I might be able to get away tonight to meet you for a drink at your hotel. I'll PM you my number so we can get together tonight and swap sea stories.

Jerry

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 pm

fishnbeer wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote: I'm flying up tomorrow for a business meeting on Friday. I'll be available if any one in the area wants to have a drink at the bar and swap vintage diving lore. Mark
Hello Mark-
It just so happens that I'm driving down today to take grandkids to Santa Cruz Boardwalk tomorrow. I might be able to get away tonight to meet you for a drink at your hotel. I'll PM you my number so we can get together tonight and swap sea stories.

Jerry
Jerry, I sent you a text. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 am

Had a nice visit with fishnbeer Jerry last night. We know a lot of the same people and shared a zillion dive stories. Good to finally meet you Jerry. Had fun. We will do a dive together one of these days. Mark

xtian
First Name: Christian

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:08 pm

I'd like to attend Saturday October 14th if I may. I just completed my first DH ocean dive (McAbee) with my DW Mistral a few weeks ago and I plan to bring it.

I'm also working on a Phoenix/HPR/DSV build right now and will bring it if it's done in time.

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:11 pm

xtian
it will be great to have you join our event at Monterey. So far we have approx. 7-8 vintage divers planning on attending. It will be a very informal event. I plan on bringing my set of triples, twin 38's, twin 50's, 72's, and assorted DH regulators. It will be a fun weekend of vintage gear diving. I will PM you with some details.
Jerry

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 pm

For those who plan on attending, here is a family portrait of my toys I am planning on using at this event. If you have pics of your toys post them here for fun.

TylerAronson
Diver
First Name: Tyler

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

Hey, guys, this sounds awesome I don't have a DH yet but I'll bring my MKV R109 set up to keep with vintage gear.
Also, if anyone comeing and has an extra DH and doesn't mind I would love to try it out

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:44 pm

TylerAronson wrote:Hey, guys, this sounds awesome I don't have a DH yet but I'll bring my MKV R109 set up to keep with vintage gear.
Also, if anyone comeing and has an extra DH and doesn't mind I would love to try it out
I'm sure there will be an extra DH you could try.
I sent you a PM

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Ok we are only days away and my Bauer Purus hummed like a kitten and filled all my bottles. So far ten people have said they will be there for one or both days. I plan on being there from Thurs. 12th through the 16th. I am staying in my 5th wheel at the Monterey Pines Navy RV park. So those here that are coming shout out and let me know what days are will be here. FYI parking at the breakwater can fill up fast due to the large amount of scuba classes held there, so come early. There will be two pop up shelters, one red & one blue in the grass area with a "Vintage Divers" sign in front. Weather will be in the high 60's/low 70's & sunny. Blow I posted a live feed video of Monterey Harbor, see you there.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/str ... f-monterey

fishnbeer
Skin Diver

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:17 pm

Well I'm back home and have to say the Monterey Vintage Dive in was a complete success. On Saturday we had nine vintage divers in the water through out the day. Sunday there were eight attendees and four made at least one dive. On both days we had numerous new and experienced divers come by and discuss the vintage gear we had on display. I hope we made a few converts. It seems everyone in attendance is looking forward to next years event. October is a good time to have it since the weather is usually nice then.
Here is a couple of pics-

My grandson and I hold down the fort while everyone is diving-

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Very cool Jerry,

I'll try and make it next year. Monterey is just a hop, skip and a 6 hour drive away from me. Mark.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 am

Glad you guys had a great time - maybe I wont be working out of town next year

Return to “Vintage Dive Trips or Gatherings”