Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Advise for a broke college kid wanting a double hose

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:50 am

If you are adding a HPR, then there are no other parts you need with it, it comes complete (ie the tabs and seat you mention are not needed)
You might want to consider adding the new DSV instead of a standard mouthpiece, if not then you will need mouth piece mushroom valves and if the RAM does not have a mouthpiece with it, you will need to wagon wheels as well (you can reuse the originals if you have them). I would also add a set of hose clamps, yours might be OK but many are brittle and considering the cost of new ones, I see no reason to use old ones unless you are trying to keep the reg original.
Keep in mind there is no way to monitor your gas supply with a DA or RAM, something I highly recommend you do. You should use the reg with a WORKING J valve or a banjo adapter to monitor you air supply. If you choose to use a banjo, you must have a long yoke to use it. If the RAM does not have a long yoke (some do , some don't) , you might want to consider trying to add one of those too. If Bryan does not have one, Rob at the Scuba Museum might.
Herman

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Herman wrote: You might want to consider adding the new DSV instead of a standard mouthpiece.
Came across this thread looking for a different one. Last week I put the dsv on my Phoenix and blocked my HPR ports. Made a noticeable improvement in breathing. Like you, as a kid, I always eye balled the old double hose in my grandpa's basement. My dad used to use it in high school and always told me about how he hated those single hose pieces of junk. Been lovin it since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Very uncomfortable for many of us to be, for whatever reason, forced to dive a single hose on any particular dive.

A tuned properly double hose is magic. My Voit V66 really comes into its own from about 60fsw down for some reason. It's probably just the change in the sound but it's got that Darth Vader sound / feeling of badassness at 120 or 150 Fsw - might just be narcosis too. :-)

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”