Dwaldron924
Diver
First Name: Danny

Re: Advise for a broke college kid wanting a double hose

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:19 pm

well Ill be purchasing my double hose here soon, I'm in PCB at the moment and did a dive on Friday and plan to dive again tomorrow, guys on the boat chastised me of having out of date gear, when all of my gear is maybe 5 to ten years old. I plan to pick up the reg when my car gets out of paint and body(Ergh) and will see what money I have left over to spend on this, i plan to get a BPW and probably will do a few dive with my old U.S divers back plate and j valve tank in a pool. thanks all for the advise, I'm also trying plan a trip to dive Uboat U 352 and dive bonne terre mine sometime this year, and hopefully with the DH. id be glad to potentially meet up with fellow DH divers once i have a setup going.

USdiver
Master Diver

Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 pm

I dove my Phoenix equipped DA Aqua Master at Bonne Terre some 5 years ago. No problems at all. I did have it rigged to their liking: octo, lp inflator for dry suit, lp inflator for bc, hp hose for spg/console. That is one of the advantages of having the Phoenix valve, 3 hp and 3 lp ports so the regulator can be made to fit anybody's requirements.

P.S. A belated welcome to our tribe of DH users.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:14 pm

What is your budget?

crimediver
Master Diver

Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 am

Yeah, I also spent a lot of time in Overland Park. My grandparents lived on Beverly Drive. It is a great area. I have dove the U-352 and the U-85. Interesting history and it really bring home just how close the Nazis were to our shores where they brought the war to our homeland. A U-boat dive should be on every ones bucket list.

couv
Master Diver

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:30 am

Dwaldron924 wrote:....
My advice is to wait until you're not a broke college kid anymore. Buy or steal some cheap regs to get you through the diving you're wanting to do. THEN, when you can afford another expensive hobby start putting your DH kits together.

I found VDH because I was looking for a place to sell my one and only DH reg (Nemrod Silver Snark II) and now I have 3 Double hose setups. Now, compare me-someone trying to get rid of a DH to these guys who want to collect DH regs and predict your future.

YMMV but not likely.

Couv

I'm just kidding of course....sort of.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

bbain
Vintage Diver

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:43 pm

I will be a bit of a contrarian here and suggest that you might want to hold off on buying a old double hose regulator and then spending $$ to have it serviced and the necessary replacements/upgrades, when the price of the regulator and the upgrades could get pretty close to what a Kraken would cost:

Used RAM - $150 (if you can get it for that price locally)
new diaphragm $20
New hoses - $50
Mouthpiece $35
Band clamp $20
Hookah Port adapter $15
Banjo fitting $50
Duckbill $10 (or Duckbill eliminator $20 - currently OOS)
Wagon Wheels $25

And you might want to confirm that the yoke on the RAM is rated properly for 3000 psi service, but some folks here can probably help with that. However, that's a consideration too!

So, a used RAM and just replacing the "rubber" parts to get it ready is in the neighborhood of $365 or so AND that doesn't include any service work. No single item is that expensive, but it does add up. Add the HPR ($50) and Phoenix first stage ($165) and you're around $530, plus servicing. The Kraken is currently out of stock but it was listed at $575.

The only real virtue I see is that you can spread the cost of the RAM out a bit by buying the RAM and then sitting on it while you make the needed parts replacements a bit at a time, assuming that servicing is not required.

My $0.02, YMMV

Bill

Creed
Master Diver

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:09 pm

Small world. After starting my diving hobby as a broke college student in Kansas(mid Kansas, in my case, so we spent our time in Wilson Lake), I completely understand where you are coming from.
My advice:
Get a Mistral. Easy to find, easy to service, cheap parts, breathes like a champ. My 13 year old son started on DH regs by rebuilding one.
Get a steel 72 and(if it doesn't already have one) stick a valve on it with an HP port. This removes the need for a banjo to use an SPG(so, no hunting down long yokes for your DHs), and you can use it with your single hose. Another tank would work, of course, but for vintage style buoyancy control, the steel 72 is darn near perfect. I used to find those near Kansas City for $20 or less. Turns out, there is one right in your backyard right now that even has the right valve: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/5700245911.html

Work with your existing BC jacket until you have money for Brian's backplate and a wing(I like the XS Scuba Companion, myself).
"Haul the sheet in as we ride on the wind that our
forefathers harnessed before us
Hear the bells ring as the tide rigging sings.
It's a son of a gun of a chorus" - Jimmy Buffet

DAAquamaster
Skin Diver
First Name: Larry

Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:10 pm

Bill is right on the money (it reads correctly however you interpret it).

I have a soft spot for the PRAM, but I still won't spend more than $150 on a very good condition DA Aquamaster, given the overall cost of bringing a DA up to the PRAM standard - at least if you want to use new hoses, new mouthpiece, new duckbill, silicone second stage diaphragm, silicone exhaust valves, etc. The HPR second stage and duckbill eliminator are $70 worth of gravy on the potatoes.

But...if all you want is a DA Aquamaster then $150 for a DA plus new hoses, diaphragm, duckbill, new mushroom valves with your existing wagon wheels and a service kit (if you've got someone who can help you service it, then you can do it for $260-$280.

If you add a hookah port adapter for LP accessories and a banjo fitting for an SPG, you'll add another $65 or so.

8dust
Master Diver

Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Creed wrote:My advice:
Get a Mistral. Easy to find, easy to service, cheap parts, breathes like a champ. My 13 year old son started on DH regs by rebuilding one.
Get a steel 72 and(if it doesn't already have one) stick a valve on it with an HP port. This removes the need for a banjo to use an SPG(so, no hunting down long yokes for your DHs), and you can use it with your single hose. Another tank would work, of course, but for vintage style buoyancy control, the steel 72 is darn near perfect. I used to find those near Kansas City for $20 or less. Turns out, there is one right in your backyard right now that even has the right valve: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/5700245911.html
+1

Would have been my go-to option if he hadn't said he already had eyes on a RAM in nice condition.
3 moving parts, and 1 non-sealing o-ring... can't beat it. Pretty much nothing to fail.
The absolute favorite regulator in my travel bag is my yellow hose Mistral. :D
Freddo
NAVED member #201

Dwaldron924
Diver

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:51 pm

my budget is surprisingly flexible, as in where I need to spend it, the car repair came out costing more than expected and dipped into the $200 i had already set aside for a DH, I really appreciate everyones advise and opinions and I plan to very slowly get this reg up and running, I honestly see it having several stages of its life under my owner ship. It'll probably spend a year or two as a shelf item as I slowly accumulate parts for it, I've been restoring a 1980 Porsche 924 for the last 4 years and its been one of those fix/restore here and drive there type of things, I also just finished my 81 928 and trust me I'm used to the saving here and spending there stick. so thats where I am on it and also as cool as the kraken is the Royal Aquamaster at the local shop near me is in very good shape but hasn't been serviced in ten years, which isnt bad considering Ive heard of ones that hadn't been serviced for more than a decade, and I'm looking for a new project to work on during the course of the next year or two.

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Well, now we know why you are broke. :shock:

I am broke because I spend all my money on airplanes and ammo. The change I get back goes into SCUBA and DH regulators.

Get the DA or RAM or whatever it is, lost track, get a new Kraken to go with it, sell one of the Porches and get a Jeep, I can drop $15,000 into that and cannot even see where the money went and it still leaks oil in my garage afterwards and won't start :lol: .

Nem

Dwaldron924
Diver

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:15 pm

not a chance I'll sell one of the Porsches to much time and enjoyment on both, my 924 is almost done and my 928 is near mint condition and I can't find a problem, jeeps aren't my cup of tea unless its a grand wagoneer. but planning to pick up the RAM local to me if life doesn't get in the way again.

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Finish the 924 then sell both it and the 928. Invest part of your proceeds in a mint Turbo 944 and the balance in vintage DH regulators. It'll be the best of both worlds. 8) You'll have a great usable Porsche and a terrific collection of dive gear.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

Dwaldron924
Diver

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Love 944 turbos, however my 924 is a lovely little car and there aren't many left out there in the condition its in, my 81 928 is in near mint condition with its only issue being the leather wrapped dash has shrunk, love it to death and if i were to buy another 924/944 series car i would pick up a 968 coupe, and looking to pick up the Royal sometime this winter, already have appropriated funds for it to go in the right direction, also 924 is pretty much done, just needs to have some touch up work done on the paint and thats all. hope y'all have some goo diving this year,

Cheers from the land locked Kansan

Dwaldron924
Diver

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:34 am

Happy holidays everyone, I didn't spend as much money as I thought I would this semester and Im deciding I'm going to treat myself and buy the regulator local to me however I'm going to compile a list of parts and order them when I am done with the spring semester, The regulator I am buying is a crown sticker Square label Royal Aqua Master in really good condition.

parts I have written down so far are

Hoses
mouth piece
duck bill eliminator
HPR diaphragm
HPR seat
HPR tabs
Rebuild Kit
Cyclone
HPR second stage
Band Clamp

if I missed anything please let me know