eskimo3883
Master Diver

Heathways cloth coated hoses???

Thu May 26, 2016 12:01 am

I got hold of an early Healthways reg (SN 11686). I believe it is the model sold between 1957-1960. It had a Hope Page mouthpiece added. The hoses are 1" and pigmented somewhere between blue and green (hoses are heavily aged so original color is not clear) but these hoses are coated with cloth. I have seen photos of CG45s with cloth but I believe the original Healthways would l have been blue rubber. I am thinking these may have come from a medical device or war surplus but thought I would ask. Is anyone aware of Healthways ever using cloth covered hoses?
“A skin diver is a fellow who pulls on a pair of fancy swimming trunks, some rubber fins, a diving mask and canvas gloves, then fills his lungs with air and noses down into the ocean looking for two fisted trouble.”

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Re: Heathways cloth coated hoses???

Thu May 26, 2016 7:55 am

Maybe surplus gas mask hoses or aviation Oxygen hoses?
The older I get the better I was.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Thu May 26, 2016 8:31 am

antique diver wrote:Maybe surplus gas mask hoses or aviation Oxygen hoses?
This would be my guess as well. Can you share some pictures?
I have or have had dozens of Healthways double hose regulators over the years with various hoses on them but no cloth covered ones.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 pm

antique diver wrote:Maybe surplus gas mask hoses or aviation Oxygen hoses?
Agreed. And today, there are many rebreather divers that use "cooper" hoses (which were designed for military aviation) for cave and wreck diving- supposedly for the abrasion resistance factor and almost impossibility that they will kink and close off the gas flow. However, cooper doesn't warranty their hoses for UW use and specifically calls out that they are not certified to be used as such. It may be due to the wire in the coils not being too corrosion resistant, may be liability- or a combination of both. And boy are they stiff and expensive!
15.jpg

Return to “New Vintage Equipment Diver's Forum”