Scuba Pro 109 Regulator

Pre 1975 equipment only please.. NO E-Bay

Moderator: 1969ivan1

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Scuba Pro 109 Regulator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:34 am

I'm looking to buy a Scuba Pro 109 Regulator that works, or can be made to work. The chrome does NOT have to be in the best condition. I want to Cerakote it and use it as my Octopus for my Phoenix. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanx.

tbone1004
Skin Diver

Re: Scuba Pro 109 Regulator

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:33 pm

cerakote probably isn't the best idea on that regulator. since cerakote is ceramic it will be extremely brittle and if it falls you risk the cerakote chunking off.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Actually if the surface is prepared correctly and the applicator knows what they are doing its tough as nails. Many of us have been cerakoting scuba gear parts for years. In the beginning the Kraken was going to have all it's metal parts done in cerakote. (may use it yet) They even have a cold process that I have experimented on plastics with but it's not quite ready for prime time.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

tbone1004
Skin Diver

Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Bryan wrote:Actually if the surface is prepared correctly and the applicator knows what they are doing its tough as nails. Many of us have been cerakoting scuba gear parts for years. In the beginning the Kraken was going to have all it's metal parts done in cerakote. (may use it yet) They even have a cold process that I have experimented on plastics with but it's not quite ready for prime time.

For the Kraken I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but with the 109's that I have, they've definitely been dented over the years so I'd just be concerned about that unless the cerakote is thick enough to prevent it from denting in the first place.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 pm

I have done a dozen or more original regulator metal cans in cerakote which are about the same thickness as the body on a 109 and they seem to fare pretty well. Cerakote can be touched up /repaired as opposed to having to strip and re-plate chrome. Again it's no better than the foundation it's put on. If the metal is not prepped correctly, or the cerakote applied or cured improperly it's no better than a spray bomb finish.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

couv
Master Diver

Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:23 am

ivan's mermaid wrote:I'm looking to buy a Scuba Pro 109 Regulator that works, or can be made to work. The chrome does NOT have to be in the best condition. I want to Cerakote it and use it as my Octopus for my Phoenix. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanx.

I'm a bit under the weather right now but when things are better I'll get back with you. In the meantime, if this is an experiment, you might consider a 108 instead. They are usually less expensive to purchase.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 am

couv wrote:
I'm a bit under the weather right now but when things are better I'll get back with you.

When I hear that expression, I always think someone is just not feeling great... not literally under a hurricane. :shock:

Take care my friend, and good luck.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

couv
Master Diver

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

luis wrote:
couv wrote:
I'm a bit under the weather right now but when things are better I'll get back with you.

When I hear that expression, I always think someone is just not feeling great... not literally under a hurricane. :shock:

Take care my friend, and good luck.

Thank you, I should be home in a few days.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

ivan's mermaid
Master Diver

Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 am

couv wrote:
ivan's mermaid wrote:I'm looking to buy a Scuba Pro 109 Regulator that works, or can be made to work. The chrome does NOT have to be in the best condition. I want to Cerakote it and use it as my Octopus for my Phoenix. Looking forward to hearing back. Thanx.

I'm a bit under the weather right now but when things are better I'll get back with you. In the meantime, if this is an experiment, you might consider a 108 instead. They are usually less expensive to purchase.

Hey Couv. I hope you are feeling better real soon, Coz is just around the corner. I just purchased a set of regs yesterday. One is a 109 and the other is a 108, so I'll be able to use either as you suggest, I hope to have them with me in Coz. Take care.

couv
Master Diver

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:13 pm

ivan's mermaid wrote:
couv wrote:

Hey Couv. I hope you are feeling better real soon, Coz is just around the corner. I just purchased a set of regs yesterday. One is a 109 and the other is a 108, so I'll be able to use either as you suggest, I hope to have them with me in Coz. Take care.

Thanks Mermaid,

I'm fine-I was just trying to put a bit of humor into my situation. I'm in Houston and we just had a bout of hurricane. Fortunately my neighborhood was spared and all is well.

I'm back now and if the regs you've just purchased don't fit the bill, I have a candidate for you. It has an older style diaphragm cover, but all the rubber is in good shape. If you can get your handsome lesser half to rebuild it after you make it beautiful, it's your's for $40 shipped to Oh Ten.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 pm

couv wrote:
I'm in Houston and we just had a bout of hurricane. Fortunately my neighborhood was spared and all is well.

Good to hear that all is well.

Good luck.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

tripplec
Master Diver

Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:06 pm

So any names on good cerakoters Bryan? Maybe an idea of how much it would cost? I actually was wondering yesterday if it was possible to cote my 109.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Cerakote has a list of certified applicators on their website. Find one in your local area and discuss in person what you are trying to accomplish. Coating over brass or satin chrome produces good results. I've had zero success putting it on shiny chrome and would not recommend it.
Dave's talent and skills are sorely missed but if you must have chrome you might check if there is anyone in your area doing restoration work for classic boat hardware as they usually have the resources to handle it.

Return to Vintage Only...Buy, Sell, Trade, Wanted