WTB US Divers Calypso Depth Gauge

Pre 1975 equipment only please.. NO E-Bay

Moderator: 1969ivan1

Aquala1
Skin Diver

WTB US Divers Calypso Depth Gauge

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

Guys, I'm looking for a late '60s vintage USD Calypso depth gauge, with a black face. It needs to be as near mint as possible. Thanks!

couv
Master Diver

Re: WTB US Divers Calypso Depth Gauge

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

How about a nice ScubaPro black faced depth gauge?

Shreveport & Aquala. I used to dive an Aquala dry suit. (1970ies) Are you associated with the company?
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am

I have a black SOS Scubapro gauge, but I need the USD Calypso for a project I'm working on. Thanks for offering, though.

Cool that you used to dive an Aquala. I bought the company back in 2000, and I'm always looking for back-in-the-day photos of the suits being dove. You wouldn't happen to have any old pictures of you diving your suit, would you?

couv
Master Diver

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 am

Sadly no pictures. It was a unique suit with a hole in the chest for diver entry. Then, you tied off the entry skirt with a piece of surgical tubing. One thing I liked about that suit and the Viking was the repair kit.....a patch, glue, a metal can-add a little flame and the suit had a vulcanized repair in a matter of minutes. Like fixing a bicycle inner tube.

Happy to hear the company is still in my home state. I hope business is good.
A sincere THANK YOU to all at VDH who make this wonderful resource available and to all the thoughtful contributors.

couv
Master Diver

Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:15 am

Aquala,

I have a USD SPG that is your's for the asking. I don't have the spool for it as it is takes a larger diameter stem, but one shouldn't be too hard to locate.

Edit: Sorry the picture is a bit out of focus....it looks nicer than that.

Couv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:24 am

Couv, totally sorry man, I just now saw this. I ended up finding the gauge on eBay, shortly after I posted this, and then never came back to check the thread. That's super generous to offer me the gauge, and if you still have it, I'll take it. Just let me know about shipping. Thanks!

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:56 am

Servicing the Calypso Depth Gauge...
- It's tough to get a Calypso depth guage in good shape. I've been messing with one after another for a couple of years and I think I've learned how to restore them. I have three and have cobbled together two out of the three that are working well. The one with the best lens had the internals of the bourdon tube completely clogged with corrosion. I plan to do a post with some pictures and tips but for now I'll just give the basics. My best one was a newer version with orange face and black plastic case... Identical to the chrome ones except for a larger pressure port screw. This one was brand new in the original box... Had never been wet. It leaked completely the first time I tried it. So, I would recommend servicing even to ones that appear in the best condition. Here are a few tips:
1. These are supposed to be just air inside... Don't fill them with oil.
2. Don't try to pry the lens off. It is held in by suction and will chip and then crack across the face.
3. Make a spanner head screw driver so you can unscrew the pressure port without damaging it.
4. There is a weird O-Ring arrangement that needs to be replaced for reliable seal. It's weird because it seals the gauge to the case to the pressure port... three surfaces. I don't remember the O-ring but I found exact replacements at my local Ace Hardware.
5. If the lens is fine, I recommend not trying to take it off. If you want to swap in a better (not cracked) lens from another Calypso, then the best way to remove the lens is by inserting a jewelers screw driver into the pressure port (with the screw out) and pushing the mechanism up against the inside of the lens. It will pop out and reveal a very thin O-Ring seal around its circumference.
6. Re-Assembly Procedure: Install the lens first. If you don't you will not be able to fully insert it against the air pressure when the pressure port is sealed. So, Lens first. Then pressure port with new O-ring. I recommend silicon grease on the O-ring so that it will settle into the three surfaces it has to seal.
7. The quality of the spanner screw driver you made is important. The pressure port not only seals everything against the O-ring, it also secures the mechanism in the case. So you need to get a good purchase on that pressure port and screw it all the way in tight.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to Vintage Only...Buy, Sell, Trade, Wanted