CHEAP STEEL RED TANKS FOR SALE

Pre 1975 equipment only please.. NO E-Bay

Moderator: 1969ivan1

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Re: CHEAP STEEL RED TANKS FOR SALE

Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 am

Aquala1 wrote:
1969ivan1 wrote:Less than 25 dollars each tank using fed ex ground.

I'll take them. Now you guys have to help me find a manifold and a set of bands.

Saw a 1/2 inch Sportsways tapered manifold on eBay. I have no experience with bushings, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these would fit. Mark.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302279635611

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:14 pm

simonbeans wrote:Bands are easy. http://www.vintagescubastuff.com

Thanks Simon, those look good. Were '50s/early '60s vintage bands also made of stainless, or were they just galvanized steel? Hopefully these will pass hydro, and I want them to be as period correct as possible.

Ivan, is there an original hydro date?

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:08 pm

contact me through 1969ivan1@gmail.com and we will make it happen.

1969ivan1
Plank Owner

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:29 am

So far I have not been able to make a connection with Aquala1 to finish up the tank sale so they are still in play if anyone else wants these cheap tanks please email me. I am really surprised that it is so hard to sell two tanks this cheap?

antique diver
Master Diver

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am

1969ivan1 wrote:So far I have not been able to make a connection with Aquala1 to finish up the tank sale so they are still in play if anyone else wants these cheap tanks please email me. I am really surprised that it is so hard to sell two tanks this cheap?

It's probably due to the shipping costs. I had a hard time GIVING AWAY my stash of 38's!

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not sure why. I sent an email from my Aquala.com address, as well as a private message here through the forum. Here's a screen shot of that email. It was sent on Sunday.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:19 pm

I also just sent you another PM through the forum.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:32 am

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Aquala1 wrote:

I'll take them. Now you guys have to help me find a manifold and a set of bands.

Saw a 1/2 inch Sportsways tapered manifold on eBay. I have no experience with bushings, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these would fit. Mark.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302279635611

Mark, thanks for the heads up on that manifold. I wasn't around when the auction expired, but I contacted the seller and he sold it to me anyway. Come to find out, the seller is a guy I knew from when I was really involved with the Historical Diving Society. Hopefully I can close this deal with Ivan and make up a great set of vintage doubles.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:06 am

Aquala1 wrote:
simonbeans wrote:Bands are easy. http://www.vintagescubastuff.com

Thanks Simon, those look good. Were '50s/early '60s vintage bands also made of stainless, or were they just galvanized steel? Hopefully these will pass hydro, and I want them to be as period correct as possible.

Many of the original bands were galvanized, and later ones were coated with some black "plastic". When we started making reproduction bands (original galvanized are VERY rare), stainless was the easiest and least expensive way to go. Peanut King made a bunch, but each batch become more and more expensive. When I started making them, about 5 years after Peanut King ceased, I thought about the galvanized approach. Using a pre-galvanized sheet to cut them from is not the issue, but re-galvanizing the bands to cover the slots and edges was. My bands are nice, look great and work perfectly for 6.9" diameter tanks. And, I believe, very affordable. I have "non-vintage" divers use them for tech staging. If you find a set of original galvanized double bands, you will be very fortunate.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 am

Simon, all of that sounds good. I'll place an order as soon as I close this deal on the tanks.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

UPDATE: I closed the deal with Rob, and received the tanks last week. I took them by my LDS on Thursday, and took a look inside with their tank light...they're super clean. The LDS sent them for hydro, and as soon as they come back, they're going to be painted back in their original green. Simon's bands will be ordered next, and when the bands come in, they'll be assembled with the Sportsways manifold that Scubalawyer alerted me to on eBay.

With all of that said, what color harness should I have Simon build for this rig?

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Tue May 02, 2017 3:47 am

Aquala1 wrote:With all of that said, what color harness should I have Simon build for this rig?

Although all of my SimonBeans (aka Alan) harnesses are black for consistency sake, I'm partial to his Sea Hunt Green. My 2psi. Mark

SurfLung
Master Diver

Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 am

Aquala1 wrote:

Congrats on a great buy Aquala! Very nice tanks! :)
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Aquala1
Skin Diver

Wed May 03, 2017 8:31 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Aquala1 wrote:With all of that said, what color harness should I have Simon build for this rig?

Although all of my SimonBeans (aka Alan) harnesses are black for consistency sake, I'm partial to his Sea Hunt Green. My 2psi. Mark

Mark, I thought the Seahunt greenn (Voit) straps would look good too, but didn't know if I was missing a historical detail since I was building this rig with a Sportsways manifold. I guess back in '59 or '60, things would have been a hodgepodge anyway. A guy could have bought the Voit harness and bands from a local sporting goods shop, ordered the Sportsways manifold from a catalog to put together with a matching set of tanks he found. Not like today where you go to your LDS, and buy all Scubapro, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc.

BTW, since the tanks didn't start out with 1/2 threaded necks, and have inserts, what were they likely for originally? Obviously they weren't for scuba.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Wed May 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Aquala1 wrote:
ScubaLawyer wrote:

Mark, I thought the Seahunt greenn (Voit) straps would look good too, but didn't know if I was missing a historical detail since I was building this rig with a Sportsways manifold. I guess back in '59 or '60, things would have been a hodgepodge anyway. A guy could have bought the Voit harness and bands from a local sporting goods shop, ordered the Sportsways manifold from a catalog to put together with a matching set of tanks he found. Not like today where you go to your LDS, and buy all Scubapro, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc.

BTW, since the tanks didn't start out with 1/2 threaded necks, and have inserts, what were they likely for originally? Obviously they weren't for scuba.

We all, save for a few purists, and you know who you are, have a Frankenstein mix of vintage gear. Ask Luis to see his Voit front can/US Diver rear can or vice versa sets of regulators. Even on Sea Hunt most items of gear were mix and match. As for the original use of the tanks, likely liquid cyanide or laboratory small pox culture vessels...... 8) . I have no clue but there are others on this board who would have far more vast knowledge on the subject than I. Mark

PreviousNext
Return to Vintage Only...Buy, Sell, Trade, Wanted