Goodlifedivers
Master Diver
First Name: Danny

LE Aqualung Mistral reissue

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Hey all,

I'm selling for a friend a Limited edition Aqualung Mistral (401/500) regulator. Comes with the wooden case they released for their 50th anniversary. I'm asking $800 but am open to offers.

IF you are interested or would like to see some pictures please email

goodlifedivers@gmail.com

Danny

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: LE Aqualung Mistral reissue

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:47 pm

They are a great conversation piece. I won mine at DEMA in a drawing when they first came out. Took it diving a handful of times. Mine breathes like you are at the bottom of a pool sucking on a garden hose with the topside end stuck up a monkey's butt (don't ask me how many times that has happened to me. :D ) Other than that I think they are a really cool looking reg. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 pm

I have one of those special edition new in the box Mistral. I like the nice hardwood display case they come with.

I don't know if it will ever be consider an investment, but I am holding on to mine for a while. It has both the soft case and the display case. I just looked, I have number 330.

Good luck with your sale.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 am

I really wish these were great breathing regs or I would buy it myself. I’m not a collector of things to display on my wall.

But for a guy looking to complete a collection of sorts this should be perfect. The seller is motivated too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tripplec
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm

So to piggyback on an old post instead of making a new one, what made the 2005 mistral a failure? Did Aqualung really try to sell something not ready for market, like microsoft did with Windows 8, or was it more a failure to market properly? I asume most LDS's had no idea about can placement, or even double hoses for that matter. Or was it just too exspensive to sell with a retail of $800.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:56 pm

I don't know the engineering details, but all USD did was take a Titan 1st stage, bolt on a tiny diaphragm(d) 2nd stage, run a lp hose between them, stick on over-sized hoses and called it a day. I can't imagine anyone with any knowledge of how DH regs actually work was part of the project. That is my uneducated assumption, I'm sure Luis and others have a more scientific-based opinion. M
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:12 pm

The major technical issue is the lack of any measurable venturi flow assistance.

The small diaphragm is not that big of a deal. I actually tuned my test unit to a decent cracking effort, but it ill require modifications to add any venturi flow.

The poor marketing and lack of any pro-active diver training was also an issue, IMO.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Goodlifedivers
Master Diver

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Regulator is sold.

Return to “Modern Gear. Buy, Sell, Trade”