rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Re: Double 7L Faber manifold set up for DH?

Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:09 pm

in regard to the Sherwood, I'm wondering if the center is reversed if both regs would then fit.....My only concern with flipping the center is that the shut-off then is buried......

the other option is to use a first stage perhaps like the MK-5 on the outside post and point the turret down to get below the horn.
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

Fibonacci
Master Diver
First Name: Graeme

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:00 pm

Hmm... that's annoying about non-standard spacing (std I think is 215mm?)

I have found a listing for tank bands on AU eBay that suit the Faber 7L 178mm diameter tank... they are available with a strap width of 45mm or 75mm but both at 200mm centres.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Scuba-Diving ... UhggmMm4vg

Would this narrower strap centre-to-centre work?

I haven't yet taken delivery of my new Kraken, so am really flying blind...

If anyone could please post photos of this Sherwood manifold even dummied up with a DH reg can and SH first stage that would be a huge help :?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:04 pm

rhwestfall wrote:in regard to the Sherwood, I'm wondering if the center is reversed if both regs would then fit.....My only concern with flipping the center is that the shut-off then is buried......

the other option is to use a first stage perhaps like the MK-5 on the outside post and point the turret down to get below the horn.
Maybe that could work on first stages with a multi-port swivel LP head like the Dive Rite XT1, Atomics etc... given its an octo on the outboard post the LP hose could then be routed lower under your right arm?
'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition' Rudyard Kipling

Fibonacci
Master Diver

Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 pm

OK my vintage Sherwood double post manifold has arrived, and I assembled it to check centre-to-centre spacing... which depending where I measure it is 203mm to 204mm or 8 inches.

Plan on twin 9L or 10.5L steel Fabers (178mm or 7" dia) as the shorter tanks should fit well at the required DH lower position on a VDH plate.

Alternatively twin 72 cu ft steels which I think are 6.9" or 175mm dia so vintage bands should fit but centreline spacing would be different.

Trouble is most modern twin isolator manifolds are on 215mm/8.5" centres and accordingly tank bands are made to these dimensions :?

Anyone know of a source or a custom band maker who could make up some 7" bands on 8" centres?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Many moons ago, Captain Tom wrote about making bands for a triple set using steel 72's. Might be just what you are looking for if your willing to DIY the deal.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”