rx7diver
Lung Diver
First Name: Ronald

VDH Backplate: First Dive

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 am

IMG_0411_20160614.jpg
Today I was finally able to dive my new VDH backplate. Same neighborhood quarry. Swim suit + tee shirt + mask + Jet fins + Riffe snorkel + PRAM + Al 63 + VDH backplate + single-piece harness + crotch strap. No BC. No weight belt (no weights--though I probably would have needed 1-2 lbs if I had drained my tank.)

Very nice, indeed. I had thought that the plate's edges would be a bit uncomfortable through my thin tee shirt. However, this wasn't the case at all. In fact, I hardly noticed the plate at all.

My first time in years wearing a crotch strap! (I have always eschewed them.) However, the crotch strap presented no problem, no discomfort, whatsoever, and worked as advertised during my inverted surface dives, despite my somewhat loose shoulder straps.

The PRAM, now in a lower and closer position, breathed wonderful. However, I cannot honestly say whether it breathed *better* than when it was worn higher when used with my plastic backpack or my Freedom plate, since I had only completed a couple of short, shallow dives using that backpack/plate.

One surprise: I learned a long time ago that, when waiting at the surface in a heads up and fins down attitude, to place my arm through the DH loop while breathing through my snorkel. Did this again when I dove my PRAM during those earlier dives, when my PRAM sat higher (closer to my head). Still worked like a charm. Turns out, however, I'm not able to do this when using my VDH backplate. Since the reg sits lower on my back by a couple of inches, the mouthpiece now remains a bit too high when the loop is resting under my arm, and, so, the reg free-flows a bit. Not a serious problem, since pulling down just a bit on the mouthpiece stops the free-flow, but now a hand is occupied when before it wasn't.

Verdict: I enjoyed diving this package immensely! Can't wait for the next "sea trials" which will include a thin wet suit and a weight belt, and then, eventually, a low-lift BC (once I source one and a longer corrugated inflator hose to go with it).

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CrabbyJim
Diver
First Name: James

Re: VDH Backplate: First Dive

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 am

I like the yellow webbing. Did you order them separately from the plate?

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:01 pm

The vintage solution to the surface free flow, the bane of all double hose shore divers, is the PMDSV. The PMDSV is awfully handily and requires no alteration of a fine dh vintage regulator. For all other purposes the new for real DSV is the way to go, turn it off and like magic, no free flow, cool!

Nem

rx7diver
Lung Diver

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:40 pm

CrabbyJim wrote:I like the yellow webbing. Did you order them separately from the plate?
Thanks, Crabbyjim. Sorry to be only just now reading this.

I ordered the VDH plate together with the black nylon webbing kit. However, after I halved the webbing and assembled the harness using the weight keepers (or whatever those harness clip things are called) per the instructions on this site, I then manipulated the harness quite aggressively while sitting in my living room, attempting to see if I could get the weight keeper to slip out of the top of the plate. (I recalled reading on here that someone, maybe Nemrod, actually had this happen to him during a dive.)

Well, after a bit I was able to get the keeper to slip out of the top of the plate! Being pretty risk averse, I decided I would prefer having a single-piece harness (and NOT have to use the weight keepers). So, I ordered new, thicker webbing (from Piranha).

Why neon yellow? Well, my plan was to wear this configuration without a BC. I figured that if I ever dropped/ditched my scuba while diving in my local MO freshwater lakes/quarries, maybe the neon yellow would help me subsequently find it.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

rx7diver
Lung Diver

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:48 pm

Nemrod wrote:For all other purposes the new for real DSV is the way to go, turn it off and like magic, no free flow, cool!
Thanks, Nemrod. I am giving this a lot of consideration!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”