kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Aqua Lung Mistral

Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Is the modern mistral worth buying? What would be a good price and can it still be serviced?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Re: Aqua Lung Mistral

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:02 pm

IMO, no it's not worth buying unless you get it at a steal, $550-600ish is the last I saw them on ebay but I have not looked in a while. It is a poor performer and clunky, diving wise you are much better off with almost any other DH reg, for a few bucks more you can get an KA and have a much better reg. They can be serviced, the guts are a Conshelf/Titan/darn near every other USD/AL diaphragm reg made so those parts are not a problem, not sure what the mouthpiece valves and second stage diaphragm are but odds are they can still be gotten and are silicone so they should be OK. Bottom line, if you can get it for a few hundred dollars, sure, play with it for a while and sell it on ebay, otherwise I wouldn't buy one.
Herman

kworkman
Master Diver

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 pm

There is a local guy selling 3 aluminum 40s and a mistral for $300. I dont have the money and i dont need it but that hasnt stopped me before.

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Ditto what Herman said. I won one back when they were new and just came out. Used it a few times. Makes a better conversation piece and paperweight than a regulator. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:13 pm

At $300 for the lot I would go for it, odds are you can close to double your money if you don't mind ebaying it. If the 40s are old and aluminum I would pass on them (post 1990, the def grab the lot for $300) but if they are part of the lot, they do have a few bucks in scrap metal and icing on the cake.
Herman

USdiver
Master Diver

Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:33 pm

For $300 you really can't go wrong with a new Mistral. Make sure that it comes with a Mistral regulator bag, a service/owner manual and if a DIN, the yoke conversion. You may get really lucky and score one of the special edition units that came in a wooden box and have special serial numbering. When first sold these were priced on the high side of $1,200.00. Most didn't sell, and became white elephants. They could be bought very cheaply five years ago, but have since increased in value, although still less than what Aqualung wanted for them in 2005-2006.
Too DAAM Many double hoses, It's not a hobby, it's an addiction.

kworkman
Master Diver

Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:48 am

His post was pretty pkain and didnt mention box, bag or accessories. I emailed him and will see if he gets back to me. Tanks are luxfer with 94 born on date

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:56 pm

kworkman wrote:His post was pretty pkain and didnt mention box, bag or accessories. I emailed him and will see if he gets back to me. Tanks are luxfer with 94 born on date
300 plus tanks is a doable deal, other than that I am with Herman and Scuba Lawyer with regards to it. Most are going for $500 or higher now.
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

kworkman
Master Diver

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:38 pm

He sold it a couple days ago and didnt take the post down. Oh well.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”