mfascuba
Diver
First Name: Mark

Titan Double Hose Conversion

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:17 am

OK, so I had a Titan laying around. I also had a Trieste laying around that I was very hesitant to cannibalize. So, the inner engineer in me went to work. My approach to this was to copy a USD second stage holder and then use the lever & supports from regs that I'd put HPR's on. In my layout I figured I needed three holes in the second stage holder and had to have one pointed at the horn. For cans I got a set of Mistral cans from Rob and used a 2-1/4" knockout punch to open up the front to accept the Titan/Trieste body. So here we go:

Here is the second stage holder next to an Aquamaster second stage holder. Note the clocking of the outlet holes is different.
Titan 1.JPG

Here is the second stage holder installed in the titan body with a seat holder from an Aquamaster. Holes had to be drilled & tapped in the body to be able to fasten the lever supports to the body. Layout is important - I copied the geometry from an Aquamaster body.
Titan 3.JPG
And Here is the body installed in the rechromed Mistral can, cut out to accept it. I oriented the holes to put one pointing at the side of the outlet horn. I've dived this and it works quite well. Note that I used a Conshelf adjustable seat holder with nylon insert locknut in the final install, this is the same as from the HPR and allows easy adjustment. The lever height is such that it uses a single stage diaphragm instead of a two stage one. That was one of the first things I looked at, and the Titan/Trieste forging has a higher deck height than the Aquamaster body. It all worked out quite well.
Titan 5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Re: Titan Double Hose Conversion

Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Very interesting project. I attempted something similar with one of The Scuba Museum's F/X kits. The kit was already cut for a Titan 1st stage, but because I wanted to use an HPR, I ultimately had to use a D/A body.

The F/X cans are deeper than the DA cans, so in order to reach the diaphragm, a friend milled the DA body down a few thousandths.

Here you can see the difference between a DA body(bottom), a Titan(top) and the machined DA body(middle)

Here a side by side of a DA body and he milled version...... Even with this much material removed, I had to bend up the HPR tabs to reach the diaphragm better.

Are you using an Original diaphragm? I'm guessing that 2nd stage is rather sensitive with the Titan body having so much more reach into the can.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

mfascuba
Diver
First Name: Mark

Re: Titan Double Hose Conversion

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:22 pm

I used a silicone reproduction single stage diaphragm - it is fairly sensitive but not overly so. I am doing a second one in FX cans, my challenge there is how to deal with the "reach" of the longer distance to the diaphragm with the FX cans vs the Mistral cans. I had the second stage holder custom machined to match the Titan thread pitch and the original DA geometry. The first one was made by a friend with a machine shop in his garage, I've got pricing to have a low number production run cranked out by a shop with CNC equipment. I made a decision to use the original aquamaster horseshoe and supports because it is long out of production and it works. I could copy the HPR but will NOT because it is someone elses intellectual property and is in current production. If I come up with a different lever configuration it will be my own.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”