Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Beatlejuice wrote:Hey Guys!

I'm very interested in pre-ordering the DSV. I have 2 questions regarding hose weights. First, I'd like to confirm that the $2 price is for one weight. Second, do you have a recommendation on how many weights one should order to experiment with? I realize this is gonna be a personal preference thing, but I'd hate purchase two, get in the water only to realize that I need another two (or more) and then place another order and wait for that.... you see what I'm getting at.

-Andy
I just updated the page in the store....Price is per weight and I added FLAT BLACK as a color choice.

OPINION.......I don't use any weights when using the new DSV with original and silicone reproduction hoses. I don't notice much difference because the additional comfort that comes with using the softer bite piece and the amazing airflow makes such a difference. Luis has done much more experimenting with various combinations of weights.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:27 pm

stephenws wrote:I would like to view the videos that Bryan posted today regarding the new DSV, but it asks me to "sign in". I'm logged in to the forum, but apparently there is another sign-in that I'm not aware of. Please help?
I'll ask Ron to look into this.....You can also see the video on the VDH FB page.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Dave2
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Bryan wrote:

I'm very interested in pre-ordering the DSV. I have 2 questions regarding hose weights. First, I'd like to confirm that the $2 price is for one weight. Second, do you have a recommendation on how many weights one should order to experiment with? I realize this is gonna be a personal preference thing, but I'd hate purchase two, get in the water only to realize that I need another two (or more) and then place another order and wait for that.... you see what I'm getting at.

-Andy
I just updated the page in the store....Price is per weight and I added FLAT BLACK as a color choice.
How do we put it in the cart? My browser isn't showing me a buy now or add-to-cart button.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Dave2 wrote:
Bryan wrote:

-Andy
How do we put it in the cart? My browser isn't showing me a buy now or add-to-cart button.
Starts Nov 27th for 30 days. I put it up early so I could answer questions and make changes before it begins.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Dave2
Lung Diver
First Name: David

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Got it marked on the schedule!

Beatlejuice
First Name: Andy

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Bryan wrote:

-Andy

OPINION.......I don't use any weights when using the new DSV with original and silicone reproduction hoses. I don't notice much difference because the additional comfort that comes with using the softer bite piece and the amazing airflow makes such a difference. Luis has done much more experimenting with various combinations of weights.
OK, Thanks! Maybe I just won't buy any to begin with (or maybe just a couple) and see how it all feels.

I'd love to hear any other opinions about this from Luis or anyone else who's been testing these new DSVs out. :)

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:43 pm

I am still playing with different combinations of the weights, but I will tell you that the weights are fairly light. Therefore, to make any difference you probably should start with about 3 (pairs). I say pairs because you obviously want to use the same amount on both side.

In the pictures and videos you probably have seen that I placed them close to the mouthpiece, but I am reconsidering that approach. I am planning on moving them to the middle of the hose, to keep the hose down. I am probably only going to use 3 or 4 weights (in the middle of the hose), skipping a couple of convolutions between the weights.

I am also looking and developing a way of adding some weight directly to the mouthpiece, as a add on, based on personal preference.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=8504

Here is how to tweak a Youtube or Vimeo video to make it play if the permissions are too strict.

Thanks all,

Ron
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:51 pm

Link to a brief history of the DSV Quest in PDF form......Or you can read it on the VDH Blog

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgdej12s249s9 ... t.pdf?dl=0

It's an overview......VERY BASIC....If you have questions or want more details please post them here so Luis and or I can cover them in detail. :D

Pedro
Skin Diver
First Name: Pedro

Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:43 am

Very interesting reading, thanks Bryan.

I have one doubt regarding the new mouthpiece: if I got it right, there are two parts with an o-ring doing the sealing when it's closed. How does this design affect care/maintenance and long term durability? Is it easy to replace the o-ring if necessary?

Can't wait to try it out, both the DSV and the mouthpiece should be very, very useful for my diving (March was coming fast but now seems far, far away lol)

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:31 am

It is very easy to replace the O-ring and it is a standard O-ring, but that O-ring should have a very life.

The O-ring is not highly compressed, it sees no pressure differential, and it is a very benign environment. It should be a very long time before you even need to think about changing the O-ring.
Luis

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:12 am

To add a little to Luis's thread, there are a total of 5 orings in 3 different sizes- 2 on the wagon wheels, 2 on the barrel and one that seals the mouthpiece. All 3 are easy to replace if you need to. Personally, I think I will disassemble, clean and if necessary replace the orings in the mouthpiece when I service the reg. I just serviced my Argonaut (one of the original prototypes) just before the Cozumel trip last week. It had hundreds of dives on it over about 4 years. It was still working fine but the IP was not as stable as it normally was. Will you have to disassemble, clean, lube and occasionally replace the orings, sure, but it will be a simple process that will not have to be done often.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:21 am

A couple of photos Luis marked up to keep the conversation going
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

luis
VDH Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am

Wow, I was just about to post those pictures. You beat me to it.

During the 9 days of diving in Cozumel we had 12 divers try the three prototype mouthpieces we had available. I got a lot of good feedback that I am still looking into.

A few days ago I sent this email to the group of divers that tried the mouthpiece.

During the Cozumel trip we got some feedback about the Argonaut MP feeling like it was pulling down. That was puzzling since the hose loop is still buoyant, but it makes a lot of sense after I saw some pictures.

Attached are a couple of pictures of Rob that I marked-up with some arrows representing force vectors.

The vertical arrow represents the vertical buoyancy force on the hoses. I placed the arrow on the highest point on the hoses.

The sloped arrow represents the reaction on the mouthpiece caused by the hose buoyancy.

The pull on the mouthpiece is actually back not down, but the torsion applied on the mouth would feel the same as if it was pulling down.

From these observations, I would say that the bottom line is that I placed the weight in the wrong place. All the weights should be on the middle of the hose (like Bryan suggested from the observations of the rebreather crowd).

The weights near the mouthpiece (or maybe even on the mouthpiece) are probably not beneficial and may actually be counterproductive (but I will probably have to do a bit more testing).

Please let me know if this make sense or any other comments, but if you respond to this email, please include my home email or I may not see your comments until next week.
There is more to follow.
Luis

luis
VDH Moderator

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I also got this type of feedback (or similar) to my email from a couple of divers. The one I am quoting here is from a good friend of mine, who is also an engineer and he is helping me with the 3D modeling of the mouthpiece.
What I felt seemed a lot more like a torsion around the hose axis than a lifting force. I figured I would want to spend some time tweaking the hose attach rotation angles at the reg horns and the mouthpiece to get that tuned if I planned to dive that rig every day.
This was my reply to him:
I believe there is a bit of both. The rotation of the MP could definitely use some adjustment, but also looking at the pictures I can see a bit of pull.

Your idea of the quick-release strap/ clamp has the huge advantage of allowing on the spot adjustment of rotation with just a possible minimal amount of momentary leak (if any).

We have used the quick release plastic hose clamps with the ratchet teeth (like this: http://www.hcl-clamping.com/Herbie-Clip ... le-Grip-P1 ), but many don’t like how they look. I think I am going to try them again at least to get the orientation in the right location. I can then mark the hoses and change the hose clamp to something that I like better.
Luis

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”