bbain
Vintage Diver

Re: New DSV Mouthpiece Coming soon!

Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:49 pm

It would be wonderful to have one of these for our trip to Bonaire with Herman in February . . . . just saying' :-)

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 am

Purchased this used KISS rebreather DSV just to compare it to the ideas we are working with for the Argonaut DSV.
Similar to the Drager we have covered in the past but overall much larger and heavier. The clips that hold the end caps on are easy to remove but could be broken easily in my opinion. End caps are easy to remove but difficult to re-install without moving the O-rings out of their grooves. Uses a normal wagon wheel type support for the intake/exhaust valves.....Valves made by Kirby Morgan. This mouthpiece like others we have looked at has the same design issue that prevents it from being comfortable to use during long dives.
20151006_190633.jpg
20151006_190650.jpg
20151006_190744.jpg
With all that being said, the .stl and .stp files for the Argonaut DSV are with the 3D model maker and it looks like all systems should be GO for testing in Cozumel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:14 pm

I've been using a Scott DSV off my older MK15 rebreather (after upgrading it) and love it. They aren't too common as they were designed for military use but are very light, easy to disassemble clean and reassemble. The issue with these in the RB world is that they don't have a blow-out port to clear the mouthpiece chamber before you take it out of the surface position, this is mandatory in a RB DSV as you don't want any water egress into the valve. Attached is a picture of the Scott DSV (top) doublehoser mouthpiece (center) and PRISM DSV I currently use on m MK15.5 (bottom).

I believe EOD is using a hybrid AGA DSV now on the FFMs (attached picture of a MK16)
IMG_37454.jpg
IMG_37374.jpg

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:06 am

Pool testing the first 3D sample today :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:57 pm

Notes from trial run.....It was only in my pool but rest assured I have been thankful many times that I tried new things out here first :shock: :shock:

If you have ever used a Hope Page it would not be unfamiliar to you at all. I used a standard long bite mouthpiece on it along with a new hose type that I'm experimenting with. Easily more comfortable than any of the DSV's I have tried that are similar.
One of the challenges when trying out something like this for the first time is to get your mind off of concentrating on it and focus elsewhere. Which is difficult to say the least.
Function wise it does what it's supposed to and shuts the flow off 100% on the surface and underwater, even when the Argonaut was in full free flow.
There are a few small items we need to address but this is the mouthpiece I'll be diving all week in Cozumel. I expect to make at least one or two more 3D's after Luis has evaluated this one so we can have a number of divers using them on the trip.
Not quite ready for prime time but I can see the lights on Broadway from where we are now. I'm not sharing any pictures or details at this time, not because it's some kinda 007 super secret squirrel stuff but because my rig looks more like a Rube Goldberg contraption than it does a regulator :D

Luis will give all the details when the time comes and lots of pictures will be shared while we are in Cozumel.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Luis is headed to the pool to try out the 3D printed sample for the 1st time. We have 2 more being printed next week with slight variances to this one. More details to follow.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Note......As usual Herman is right there with us on the project and I always fail to thank him enough for all he does. He figured out early on how to use his lathe to run a groove in the existing wagon wheel for the necessary O-ring that seals both sides of the DSV. By doing this he saved me THOUSANDS on the cost of making a new mold for the wagon wheels. He has also done many modifications to the mouthpieces we cobbed together using other parts to make working mouthpieces we could actually dive to test ideas on.
20151024_163751.jpg

I'll let Luis discuss the internals of the mouthpiece when he's ready as there is far more innovation to it that you can see externally. 8)

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:58 pm

Thanks to all you guys for all your hard work! This has been really something awesome to see. Not just the DSV, but the whole Argonaut project. :D

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:26 am

It's been a lot of fun helping with the entire project. I get to see the ideas when they are still on paper and then watch them come to life in my shop.......hummm maybe there is a reason Henry likes to drop by. :)
There is a LOT more design features inside this mouthpiece than can be seen in the photos. It has features that do not exist in any other mouthpiece that I am aware of , none of which can be seen from the few photos leaked to the public. The mouthpiece promises to be a big addition to the double hose diving community.
Herman

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: New hose idea to go with the new DSV

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 pm

I tested hose weights in a few different locations.

I also tested the mouthpiece in the close position to check how tight it is. It was totally bubble tight with over 12 inWC air pressure inside of it.

Notice the hose routing with the different weight location. In salt water the buoyancy is 2.5% (of the total weight) higher which I am taking into consideration. I am not intending to make it perfectly neutral, just close.

The DSV is closed in these pictures and the tank valve is open.

The red rings are also weights, but they are very narrow, not enough weight.

I over-weighted myself (with two weight belts) so that I could use the bottom as a hard point of reference and keep the depth constant. I also over-weighted the cylinder.

I was testing the set-up in many position's, but when I was taking notes, I had to set the tank down on the bottom.

I just used Velcro straps to hold the weights for some of the testing. This is just temporary to adjust the hose trim in any position.

The operation of the DSV is very smooth.

Also this regulator is tuned and the performance is outstanding. I will expand more on this subject later.

This mouthpiece has flow performance improvements that I will explain later. It is designed specifically to complement and enhance the high adjust-ability and performance potential of the ARGONAUT.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bronze06
Master Diver
First Name: Russell

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:05 am

Crowd Funding for production run? It looks great, and kind of has a resemblance superficially to a Hope-Page which I personally like. From the pictures I've seen my " Lizard Brain" is already saying "I SEE, I LIKE, I WANT, I BUY, NOW!!!! :twisted: Man, you guys are the shit when it comes to design, innovation and workable gumption. Hats Off!!
"Where'd ya get that ol' thang, don't cha' know them thare things ill kill ya!"

Live From the Red Sea,

Russ

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:08 pm

Bronze06 wrote:Crowd Funding for production run? It
One of the challenges is trying to find the BEST idea out of so many great ones.......Aside from the ability to use most any single hose mouthpiece on the market and simple, quick isolation and clearing of the breathing loop on the surface it's what's inside the mouthpiece that makes it special.

In Cozumel we will have a cadre of Caribbean Luxury Divers who have used just about every popular double hose ever made and have been working with the Argonaut project from the start. There is the opportunity for multiple divers to use the new DSV on several dives during the day for the whole week. It also gives us the chance to talk during surface intervals and around the table at night on what works and what can be improved by direct and immediate feedback. It eliminates E-mail, phone calls, shipping parts back and forth and promotes both a creative and critical opportunity for us to get it right the first time.

With that being said, and due to the fact that Luis has several variations of the mouthpiece he wants to try, I had to order multiple 3D models so we could get all of the ideas in the water at once.......3D models cost some big coin but are invaluable to getting products right before manufacturing.

When the time comes (soon I hope) I'm going to do an IN HOUSE crowdfunding process....Similar to what I did for the Argonaut Kraken without giving a cut of the funds raised to the crowdfunding source........ I'm thinking right now of rolling it out with the new DSV mouthpiece with the option of several popular mouthpiece choices, a nice one of a kind T-shirt and a drawing for a lucky diver to get one of the 3D models with their pre-order 8) 8)

If all goes well the new hose loop and covers will be available as an option as well. ......Stay tuned for details!

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 am

3D models on their way to Luis so he can prep them for diving in Cozumel.......Outside they are the same....Internals are different 8)

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 pm

It is just amazing the difference between the 3D printed stuff we are getting today in comparison with the 3D printed cans we got. That was just two years ago when I had the cans printed. This new stuff almost looks injection molded.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:21 pm

Prices have come down on 3D items and quality has gone up......It's not cheap by any stretch, I paid $650.00 for the version I did a few years ago and the material it was printed from was not holding up very well even after a couple of dives. The ones we have for the trip should not be adversely affected by saltwater according to the printer.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”