Superlite
Master Diver
First Name: Andrew

Tech manifolds and double hose regulators

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am

Not sure I'm putting this in the right forum, but here goes. :D
I have been looking to put a set of twin 100al cylinders together. But I have been as yet unable to locate a manifold that is set for a center mount double hose. There are numerous versions of tech manifolds.
Cousteau used a longer inhalation hose (and maybe exhuast) for the Britannic exploration.
Does anyone know a source for the longer hoses or maybe a manifold that was designed for the larger diameter cylinders (8in dia)? The US Navy aluminum 90's were designed for a manifold that would work on the 8in dia cylinders. But as yet I have been unable to locate a non-mag military manifold for the twin 90 aluminum cylinders. :idea:

crimediver
Master Diver

Re: Tech manifolds and double hose regulators

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am

I use the US Divers solid bar manifold with a j-valve that is normally used by the navy. They can be found on eBay at a reasonable price.

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 am

The non mag manifold spacing is 8-5/8". The non mag cylinders are 7-5/8" diameter.
Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:11 am

The solid bar manifold I have is the 7-5/8. I need the 8-5/8 manifold. I have a solid bar (extra) but looking for the other so I don't need to go to the tech manifold. I always used the twin 90's while still in the Navy. We didn't have many sets of the twin 80's (civilian) with the 7-5/8 manifold.
There was some of the 8-5/8 that were not non-mag. I'd even enjoy one of those manifolds. Unless I can come up with a solid bar in a 8-5/8.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:03 pm

open your pockets for the new one by XS Scuba... ouch!!! Fits modern bands...
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm

The center to center spacing on the 3 piece manifold was 8-1/4". The 3 piece used on Navy 90's was 8-5/8" leaving a 1" space between the 7-5/8 cylinders. I have a one piece that is also 8-1/4". Can't say I have ever seen a one piece with anything other than 8-1/4 spacing or seen one on Navy 90's.
What diameter are the AL100's.
It is fairly easy to lengthen the 3 piece manifold by replacing the nipples on the center section with longer ones, which is the only difference between the ones used on the 90's and the standard manifold.
Captain

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Captain: AL100's are 8" tanks...
Bob

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:09 pm

rhwestfall wrote:Captain: AL100's are 8" tanks...
In that case I think the only options are to lengthen a USD three piece manifold or go with modern tech manifold.
Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Problem with modern tech manifold is the regulator attachment. I haven't found a manifold for 8in dia cylinders with a center regulator attachment. That's why I keep looking for non-mag military 90 twin manifold. Other problem would be the inhalation and exhaust hoses for either my Kraken or my Royal AquaMaster (w/Phoenix). Thats why I was also hoping someone might know where to locate the longer hoses. :!: :?:

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:03 pm

The closest to a "tech" manifold compatible with a double hose regulator is the old Dacor which has a center post and a single side post which makes it possible, if you reverse the right post to the left side to reverse mount a second, albeit, single hose regulator. No modern tech isolation manifold will work with a double hose regulator, not ideally anyway since they are motley 300 Br DIN and have side posts.

This is not a true isolating manifold which, forgive me, but if it does not or cannot fully isolate the tanks, then it is not a "tech" manifold. You can shut down each regulator separately but the tanks do not isolate when the valves are closed. However, the Dacor is a very solid piece and an excellent choice for a double hose based, double tank tech rig.

I think Luis does the same thing, in fact, I think I sold him a manifold some years back. I currently have two I use, both have a center manifold for the double hose and a reversed left post for a single hose. The Dacors do occasionally show up on Ebay. I never much cared for Dacor but they made some nice horse collar BCs and one heck of a nice manifold.

Nem

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:10 pm

The 3 piece USD manifold uses standard oxygen nipples and nuts. The nipples are screwed into the center section and soft solder sealed. It is fairly easy to heat the center up until the solder melts and unscrew the nipples and replace them with longer ones.
Captain

captain
Plank Owner

Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:16 pm

I built this manifold by replacing the nipple on one side and connecting it to a single J valve. You could also extend the c to c distance.

Captain

Superlite
Master Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Captain, that is a great looking manifold. Looks like what I would want. If you can do that with a single valve to a twin elbow then modifying a twin manifold would work. However, I'm not great at soft soldiering something that would be used for high pressure. 100cf cylinders are 3300psi. Not something I would want to mess up with improper soft soldier. But if you know someone that had the capability of doing the soft soldier I would be willing to work with them on building something like what you have put together.
I have used the old DACOR and would gladly pick one of them up if I found one. Sherwood originally made that manifold that had a center attachment point as well as the right side position for a second regulator for DACOR.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:40 pm

I think that Nemrod is referring to the Sherwood manifolds. I have four sets of doubles (different sizes, but mostly small doubles) with the Sherwood dual outlet manifolds. I don't know the spacing on the Sherwood manifolds, but they fit my double 72 perfectly.

I have never seen a Dacor dual outlet manifold, but it is possible. As far as I know, Sherwood made all the Dacor valves and manifolds.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

rhwestfall
Master Diver

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 pm

I'm holding a Sherwood Dual Outlet in my hand right now, it is 8-3/16" / 8-1/4"

While on the topic of the Sherwood manifold, are there supposed to be washers between the center bar and the posts, or is it just the metal nipple & socket?

Thx.
Bob

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”