Bubblehead628
Skin Diver
First Name: Doug

VDH back plate and wing question

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:26 pm

I got the VDH back plate (thanks Brian) and my spare wing is a 28 lb doughnut that requires a STA. I'm not comfortable with a STA holding the tank, especially if I have to shorten the bolt to sit flush to the plate, since it's flat. I thought about cutting slits to match the slots in the plate, is this a viable solution?

Thanks

2THDIVR
Master Diver
First Name: Scott

Re: VDH back plate and wing question

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Bubblehead628

The slots on my wing didn't line up with the plate slots.
Just extended the slots by cutting them longer and fusing the cuts with a soldering iron.
Has held up for 2 years.

Scott

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:11 pm

What kind of wing do you have? Can you post pictures?

I personally do not like the idea of a STA. It tends to move the tank away from you. The plate has two sets of slots to match every wing I could find.

If you can use the outer set of slots, the tank is naturally very stable. The wings that I have seen that require the inner set of slots, normally have some little built in edges to keep the tank from rolling.

If you can post some pictures, it would make it easier to see what you have.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bubblehead628
Skin Diver

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 am

Hi Luis,

I don't have a picture, but I do have a link to it. It's sold by Dive Right In Scuba as their wing called 28 Lb Trianta wing. I bought used via Sb last year as a back up vacation wing, but never used it. It's a nice wing even though it was bought "used" it was still wrapped in the factory packing and looks brand new. Anyway, I would like to use it with your backplate, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Doug

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -3177.html

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:41 pm

It looks like it would be very easy to cut 4 slots in the center section of the BC to match the outer slots on the plate. It doesn't look like it would affect the integrity of the bladder as long as you stay inside the center section. You probably want to burn the edge of the cut with a hot knife or something similar to keep the fabric from unraveling.

I would call DRIS (Dive Right In Scuba) and ask them if there is any issues with cutting 4 slots in the center section of that BC. I have dealt with DRIS and they are very nice and very helpful.

The bladder looks good. It would look great if it had a smaller section across the top. I don't understand why they put so much volume on the top of those bladders.

In any case, if you tuck that top section of the bladder behind your DH regulator it works well. It works particular good behind/ under your Phoenix or your new Argonaut. The DH regulator will allow enough to the bladder for air to move from one side to the other, but it should control the top of the bladder from holding too much air and mess your horizontal trim (if you put that much air behind your head it will try to get you vertical).
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:05 pm

I've got a wing almost similar to that configuration. Not only did I cut slots, but I cut out parts of the centre section to enable me to easily take the wing off or on.

I'll edit this post later to post a photo of it.

Bubblehead628
Skin Diver

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:25 am

Thank you Luis and everyone for your help. I'll check with DRIS and hopefully no issues will arise. Looking forward to putting this rig in the water. BTW I do have the awesome Phoenix/HPR and it seems that I'm the only one in my area (Daytona Beach) using a DH, which is cool with me.

Thank you all

Doug

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:50 pm

My original Oxy 30 did not have slots. I used a grease pencil to mark the slots and then using a pencil type soldering iron I burned a hole in each end of all four grease pencil marks and then I cut between careful with a razor knife. I then burned the resulting slots with the pencil iron.

Nem

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:45 pm

I did the same thing with a wing I use on one of my setups. The part between the bladder on mine was a solid piece of plastic sandwiched between two layers of cordura. I cut out the parts I didn't need, took it to a cobbler with cordura piping, and had it sewn in just like some of the manufacturers do. Since the bladder is sealed completely by itself, there was no need to worry about it leaking. The wing I use is designed for doubles so it has a lot of room in the middle.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”