Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

hose repair

Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:59 am

I always seem to develop a small pin hole by the air horn from someone bumping my tank against Stuff in the boat. And it's always the intake hose. Is there any glue or selant I can use on the silicone hose.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Ron
Site Admin
First Name: Ron

Re: hose repair

Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:18 am

Are you saying that you've actually managed to rip a silicone hose a little? That's quite a feat. I've put mine through the ringer, and the set on my mistral is from 2009.
The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed. -JYC

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:08 am

I have cut 2 of them myself. What happens is the hoses get crimped at the horn and the edge of the horns cuts the hose. Since both of mine happened on trips I think it may have been while packed in the luggage. I now remove the hoses for travel and I put a layer or 2 of electrical tape on the ends of horns to reduce the chance of it happening again. So far so good. Yet another advantage to the plastic cans.

As for repairing the hoses, not a lot sticks to silicone, best bet is to replace the bad hose and keep the other as a spare.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:22 am

I am ordering hoses for the Argonauts in a couple of weeks....Send me both hoses and I'll return them to the mfg and see if I can get a credit for them and send you a new pair.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm

If you are talking to me, those are long gone. I didn't/don't consider them defective, my reg cut them...my fault.
Herman

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Herman wrote:If you are talking to me, those are long gone. I didn't/don't consider them defective, my reg cut them...my fault.
No, it was to the original poster.....I'm surprised no one cut your red hoses in an effort to get them!
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Chris
Master Diver

Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm prety sure my get dammaged in use bumping the horn into stuff. I'm prety carefule when I put them into my plastic tub and i don't do any traveling other than my own cars. Like Herman this is my second set too. my other hose I cut the end off and slid it on to the second rib and zip tied them but it leaks a little into the can causing corosion. I have done the black tape trick myself on my other hoses I will have to do it again. even tried to sand the horn edges a little. If I was going to make any aftermarket changes on these regs it would be thicker hos ends to prevent the pin holes. I dive a minimum once a week so they do get some use.

prety sure it was missuse do you still whant them returned bryan?
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:22 am

Silicone sealer or super glue, put the repaired hose on the exhalation side.
Captain

BigMike
Master Diver
First Name: Mike

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Try Aquaseal. It's like duct tape for divers.
You are never too old to start a new hobby.

Chris
Master Diver

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:53 am

Big Mike, I tried a tire tube patch on my old hoses that I shortened and am using on my other reg, the glue didn't even try to stick. haven't tried aqua seal. Captain I was thinking of silicone sealant too, what kind did you try?

captain
Plank Owner

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:28 am

Can't recall, whatever it was I had. On a small split just bend the hose to open the split and put silicone or super glue in it and let it close up. You don't need to smear it all over the hose.
Captain

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 am

I followed the Captian's advise in this thread with positive results. In fact, the hose is still on the reg. I used Silicone Glue since I did not have any wetsuit cement.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5836
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”