stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

STA Needed?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:52 pm

If a tank is held onto a backplate with two cam bands, is it really necessary to incorporate a STA (single tank adapter)?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: STA Needed?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't use a STA on my back-plate and I would never use one. The STA moves the tank away from your back. I want thank close to my back. Moving a tank away from your back also moves a double hose regulator away from your back.

Also the tank closer to your back is more comfortable when carrying the weight when you are walking.

Take a look at this back plate:
http://vintagedoublehose.com/index.php? ... id=8445452
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Stephen Sinksen
11:45 AM (8 hours ago)

to Bryan
Bryan,

I'm curious if a single tank adapter is needed if the tank is held with 2 tank straps - like on your backplate?

If still needed, do you know of any STA that is low profile, keeping the tank as close to the plate as possible?

Thanks,
Steve

Bryan@ Vintage Double Hose.com [email protected]
11:48 AM (8 hours ago)

to Stephen
No adaptors of any sort are needed with the VDH plate or any other BCD system I have for sale. Other manufactures I can't speak to.

Perhaps you didn't get my reply to this question via E-mail earlier today...Or you just didn't believe my answer.....
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

stephenws
Skin Diver
First Name: Stephen

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:43 pm

Luis, thank you for your answer and insight. I do have the VDH backplate on order, but have not received it yet as the Highland bands have been out of stock.

Bryan, yes I did read your email response and it answered my question in reference to the products you sell. Which is fine, except I have other equipment that I will be using, as well as some of yours. The BCDs, or wings, you sell appear to have a simplified form of STA incorporated into the design, so I was unsure if I needed to purchase or fabricate some type of STA to use with a wing other than yours.

I've also wondered if my more conventional "modern" backplates really need a STA as I always use two tank bands. And that is why I posted here to hopefully get a more general answer to my question - one not specifically about VDH products. In your response to my email, you made a point of saying your response only applied to your products, and so I posted here. It had nothing to do with doubting your answer.

- Steve

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”