phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

Cyclone 4000 psi yoke and banjo fitting

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Just fitted the cyclone nozzle to a DA (1959 rechromed cans and near perfect original badge). I am more than happy with the cyclone - easy to fit and great result. Did the whole service in about half and hour and it locked in after a couple of adjustments to 140psi and rock solid. I've kept the old second stage and on the surface I really can't tell any difference from my phoenix. Be interesting to compare in the water and am giving it a go on Saturday.

I initially fitted the Global 4000 psi yoke which I got with the cyclone, but found that it didn't allow for a banjo with my Sea Hornet K or US Divers J valve. I prefer the look of the USD tire yoke so switched it over and all's good.
Does anyone know if the Global yoke allows for a banjo with a particular valve?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Cyclone 4000 psi yoke and banjo fitting

Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 am

phsdive wrote:
Does anyone know if the Global yoke allows for a banjo with a particular valve?
Yes, it at least works with the Sherwood 5000 valves.
All my tanks have that type of valve.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:13 am

does the Cyclone put out more air flow than the phoenix? I set up a second da with the cyclone and hpr and it will swim circles around my phoenix that I've been fighting for about six months(lack of air flow). I though I had a problem with the hpr in my phoenix after I bent the lever so I got a new lever, no fix. Tonight I tried completely swapping hpr assemblies with the cyclone reg. Better but still not as good as cyclone, and the cyclone doesn't work as good with phoenix's hpr but it's better than the phoenix with it's own hpr(lever height adjusted on each swap). my ip is 130 and may drop down around 120+ on a hard pull so I don't think that's it. Since the bran new hpr didn't make the phoenix breath super good like the cyclone does with the same hpr I'm starting to think it's not my hpr at all. My next step is to send the whole reg in to Bryan and see if he can find my ghost. It's not in my head anymore either, last week I let one of my fellow divers try my phoenix and while salvaging an anchor he commented he wasn't getting enough air(with the new unmolested hpr lever installed). My last curiosity experiment for tonight, I readjusted my old hpr lever that I bent and put it back in, I made the bend at the foot tabs steeper to lift the valve stem higher, tightened the nut to take up some free play in the lever then bent the fork tabs down a bit so the nylon tabs are a little higher than the can edges and made sure it will still lay flat a crossed the ip adjuster lock nut when fully depressed. It has more air flow than the new unmolested lever but not as good as the reg with the new cyclone and hpr assembly. So could it be partly the difference between the cyclone and phoenix? Sorry for invading someone else's post but I cant find the one for the cyclone nozzle.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:37 am

No, the cyclone doesn't perform any better than the Phoenix. If they are working correctly, the Phoenix is as good (or theoretically slightly better than the cyclone).

There are variations between regulators, but there is no reason for a Phoenix HPR to not perform as good or better than any RAM or Cyclone (unless it is malfunctioning). I recommend that you send it to Bryan.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:07 am

Send me the regulator minus hose assembly and I'll check it out :D
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Nemrod
VDH Moderator
First Name: James

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

Send the regulator to Bryan. :wink:

As to the banjo bolt, the Cyclone works fine with (a banjo) the provided yoke with many but not all valves. The Thermo type without an insert seem to be okay, but just barely, there is sufficient room. But the standard long yoke does have more reach and more wiggle room, and more stretch at 3,000 plus psi :!: .

I bought two Cyclones because I had one RAM with a worn seat, and the other Cyclone is replacing a NOS first stage to preserve that NOS first stage for posterity. The Cyclone since it has a replaceable volcano should be good for my upcoming dive "Fin Smack Down at Commercial Pier 2043" :shock: .

I am using the standard long yoke with tire for that one, as well, to preserve some modicum of vintage decorum for just in case anyone cares. :oops:

Nem

Chris
Master Diver
First Name: Chris

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 am

[quote="Nemrod"]Send the regulator to Bryan. :wink:

Regs packaged up in a box will send it tomorrow. But like with all machines when your ready to have the mechanic look at it, it try's to fix itself. It's now keeping up with me hyperventilating but still not as good as the cyclone. I hope Bryan can find my ghost.
Formerly tripplec. Decided to use my real name since you guys aren't a bunch of flaky internet trolls.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”