tall78
Diver
First Name: Louis

Mouthpiece Mods

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 am

Ok, I know Bryan was working on a mouthpiece to accept standard single hose mouthpieces. What happened? It looked like a very possible option. I am getting older and need a mouthpiece that I can use a Manta mouthpiece. I can't wear my dentures while diving and Manta is a good alternative. So has anyone else worked on a mouthpiece that accepts single hose mouthpieces? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? The design that Bryan was/is working on looked great. But I would like to try making one using thecurved mouthpiece. Has anyone else tried?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Mouth Piece Mods

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 am

I'm sorry there is no quick answer so bear with me.................When Luis and I were planning the new regulator we asked a lot of people what features they would like to see incorporated into it and the DSV style mouthpiece was one of them. After doing a lot of modifying, cutting, chopping etc of all the existing mouthpieces we could find we realized we needed to start over. The very talented 3D designer we work with came up with a great mouthpiece that looked perfect on the computer but after getting a very expensive rapid prototype done we found that it worked well and was comfortable but was not perfect and was not ready for prime time so to speak.......
Somewhere around that time Luis and I took a step back and talked about what items needed to be concentrated on and finalized first. Unfortunately the new mouthpiece was put on the back burner and is slated for the 2nd model of the new regulator. This is mainly due to resources and the huge amount of capitol it takes to get these things done. I do have a new mouthpiece concept in mind for the 1st model but it is not a DSV. I'm not going into further details on it as they are still in the head scratching think tank mode.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”