simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Pegasus

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:20 pm

PEGASUS

When Voit/Swimaster introduced the Trieste Double Hose Regulator (1966-1970), it was a unique concept to maintain the double hose regulator in the diving community. The basic design of the Trieste was interesting in that it had a balanced first stage that was also utilized in a single hose model, the Titan II (1967-74).

Many of the main bodies of the Trieste/Titan II are identical except that the Trieste had a second stage screwed into it. The Titan II had this port closed with a threaded plug. As everyone is now quite aware, the Trieste has some engineering flaws that prevented it from becoming one of the better preforming double hose regulators. It did however have low and high-pressure ports that made this regulator more compliant with the accessories that divers of this era desired. These were the SPG and safe second stage or inflator for the newly emerging BCD.

As more modern vintage equipment divers viewed the Trieste, one of the early thoughts was that the Trieste did not preform due to the size of the second stage (Main) diaphragm. Recent forum threads have addressed this idea and possible solutions. However, there were more issues with this regulator beyond the diaphragm. Luis understood these problems and redesigned the second stage. The result of this endeavor produced what is called the Pegasus. Utilizing Rob’s reproduction plastic regulator cans, the regulator is a unique and special double hose.

I was able to dive Luis’ prototype in November of 2011. It preformed very nicely. At Portage Quarry last summer (2011) I came across a Titan II first stage for sale at one of the numerous vendors for $1.00. I then gave it to Luis to make into a Pegasus. With help from Ed, my label partner, a set of hoses and mouthpiece from http://www.thescubamuseum.com, a fashioned DBE, and the talents of Luis, I present here my Pegasus.

What is the future of the Pegasus? In my opinion, it may take the same evolutionary path as many species did in our geologic past. It may just dead-end. A Trieste/Titan II body needs to be utilized, which, unless you have one that is beyond restoration into its original form, is to me, a loss to the diving world. Most importantly, I do not know if there is any plan to make a second stage for the Pegasus, maybe due to the superiority of the new HPR second stage. The two 2nd stages are similar, but different enough to require special machining. But as we have all seen in this vintage diving world, “never say never.” We shall see.
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: Pegasus

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:20 pm

The Pegasus was a great project, it was a lot of fun and it produced a great regulator.

As for the future, well there are just too few Voit Titans.

Using a Trieste with one of Rob’s can is an easy solution to substantially improve the performance. The second stage on the Pegasus is an improvement, but the Trieste is not bad. The combination of the Trieste and the larger diaphragms makes for a reasonably decent regulator and it is not a permanent conversion. It can be easily reversed to return to the Trieste collectable geometry.

When I started the Pegasus project it was to explore other possibilities for Rob’s cans and I knew the Trieste could use an improvement. I was looking for other potential uses for his cans and I liked the tapered perimeter of the cans. The shape of the can helps it fit many backpacks.

I think the project was a relative success and I would encourage those with a Trieste to take advantage of this cans as a way to improve their performance, but as you said, this is a very limited project.

I still like the Pegasus a lot and think that Rob’s plastic cans are great, but with the new Phoenix HPR Royal in combination with the new back-plate I narrowed down my “go to” kit.

Enjoy your regulator, it is a great breathing regulator.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Seeing as I've never seen a Titan II body here in my neck of the woods precluding conversion into a Pegasus, I'll just have to content myself with the incoming HPR and a copy of Allan's Pegasus label plate:

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 pm

That is a beautiful regulator Allen.

And by the way, I noticed the Voit hose clamps.... Nice touch.

My compliments sir.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

YankDownUnder
Master Diver

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Does Texaco know about this?

Drado
Master Diver

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:07 pm

sitkadiver wrote:
And by the way, I noticed the Voit hose clamps.... Nice touch.
That's a sharp eye Sitka! I had to go back for a second and third look!

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Very neat project and a great looking regulator. Are those labels available for purchase or just one-offs?
-Geoff

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:30 pm

Good question, I need another one myself.
Herman

Herman
VDH Moderator

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Here is my buddy Henry's (hallen41) Pegasus. I originally did it in blue but he already had green hoses available so we changed the cans to green. It's differnet but I like it.
Herman

Drado
Master Diver

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 am

Now we just need to see it in black... wait a minute, isn't Luis' Pegasus in black?

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:28 am

Yes, all my Pegasus and Unicorn are in black.

Here is a picture of two Unicorn.

This is not a great picture, but it is all I have at the moment.
I looked and I don't have a single picture of the front of my Pegasus. Maybe in the Cozumel picture. I will look.

Another shot of a Unicorn:
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:04 am

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm

"Luis, what are you looking at?"

"Veo un caballo de mar."

Akita
Diver
First Name: Jim

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:49 pm

I'll second (or is it 3rd ?) wondering if any more of those labels can be had ... sure would be purdy on my black Pegasus :)

I also tried one at Portage, thought it was fabulous and then got lucky less than a week later perusing ebay. I had no idea at the time that I'd end up with something quite so unique. I used mine on every dive on a recent trip to Provo and it was everything I expected and more. Thanks Luis and Herman!

simonbeans
VDH Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:03 am

Akita, PM sent.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”