Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Troubleshooting my DA problem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Bill's Phoenix was having some issues yesterday, which I need to troubleshoot. (It would be easier on me to ship it back to Bryan, but I would like to attempt this and hopefully I won't kill it.)

It freeflowed from the cans in between breaths.

In an attempt to possibly free some debris, I tapped lightly on the Band clamp with the back on my light. It stopped for a few breaths, then started again. I took some photos, but didn't get any video. I would say that he dumped about 1000lbs of air in 30 minutes, so it wasn't a major free flow. We did end the dive at that time. I watched it for quite a while and determined that it definitely wasn't coming from the Phoenix, Tank Oring, or any other part.

He mentioned that it was making noise prior to the dive but didn't think anything of it. When we got back on shore, I turned his air back on and heard the leak at the can area.

Could this just be an IP issue? I'll open the cans later today and report back.

Thanks!
Lisa
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Troubleshooting my DA problem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm guessing lever height.....If the lever is set too high it will hold the diaphragm up with very little if any slack in it.. And if you are using a duckbill eliminator the guard on the duckbill eliminator may be touching the diaphragm depressing it slightly and since there is little or no slack in the diaphragm it MIGHT cause a slight freeflow. I think I set his regulator up....If I did I'll take care of for you no charge...But you might just shine a light in the cans and see if the duckbill eliminator is touching the diaphragm. If it is then you have your culprit. After that I'd check the IP and or look for anything that might have gotten lodged in the 2nd stage seat...I'd like to think I set them all up perfectly the 1st time but I've been wrong before.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:52 pm

Bryan, I took a look inside and the DE is fine and not touching the diaphram at all. It was definitely was set up correctly, he's been using it a ton and it's been a great performer.

Dear Santa: I've been a very good girl this year. I would like a workshop for Christmas!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Let me know how I can help. If you don't want to mess with it just send it on over...Or give Joan over at Scuba Tools a call tomorrow. What tools you can't get on VDH you can get from them...
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”