luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Today’s dive with some new gear.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Today I tried the new plate for the first time with my dry-suit and a brand new Pegasus regulator. Oh did I mentioned that I was also testing a modification on the dry-suit in addition to the new regulator and plate… what could have possibly gone wrong with that.

Anyway it was a great day, sunny, air temperature 36F, and water temperature 46F.

The plate performed great. As expected, it was very stable in and out of the water. It was also very comfortable. I do need to adjust the shoulder straps a bit, but that was expected for being the first time with the dry suit and very heavy undergarment.

This Pegasus double hose regulator has a new Delrin (plastic) second stage. I did the drawings and designed it to be made out of brass, but it was made out of Delrin as a prototype and I decided to test it. So far it works great.

The performance of the Pegasus regulator has been consistently great. The cracking suction is very consistently down around 0.6 inWC. My next project is incorporating the lessons learned from the Pegasus into a new second stage for the Phoenix Royal Aqua Master.

I started modifying and redesigning double hose regulator (and also single hose regulators) for close to 40 years ago (granted I didn’t work on them for a long while), but the improvement have always been measure in decimals of an inch of Water Column. The real performance improvement is coming from shifting my attention from the regulator mechanism, to instead making sure the regulator body is actually touching my back and not moving.

Some back packs (and even harnesses) can allow the regulator to move several inches. A tank mounted BC with a loose harness can also lift the tank and inch or more away from the divers back. Those inches translate directly into increase breathing resistance.

For a while, I have been thinking of ways to make the Phoenix shorter so it would fit on more of the shelf back packs. Well, after diving with my small double and now with the new back plate I don’t think a shorter Phoenix is the way to go.

I like the performance of the regulator physically touching my back. To make a regulator breath easier, you would have to have it surgically implanted.

This is a pretty dive spot here in Maine.

I needed to raise the plate (lower the tank) about 1/2 inch and the shoulder straps were too tight. I should have known the tank was going to be too high when I notice that the crotch strap was too short. The dry-suit and undergarment is just very bulky.

Notice the new plate and the low profile wing retracted. The two pockets on the tank band are for weights. Depending on the tank I always add some weight on the band.

From this angle you can see that the tank was very high for my taste, being the first time that I used it; I have to make some adjustments.

With my dry-suit I like using the DUI weight harness to carry most of my weight. Did I say that I miss Cozumel…? :shock:
I accidentally put my snorkel on the left side. I always wear it on the right side, the old fashion way. It felt weird on the left.

In the water the regulator was touching my back, but it was not in the ideal position. It still performed great.

We did have some fish and other marine life, but this is not Cozumel. :roll:

Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Re: Today’s dive with some new gear.

Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:04 pm

Great report! :D

Did I hear correct in that you're currently designing a dedicated 2nd for the PRAM? :D Could you post photos of the delrin 2nd you used as well? And what mods did you do to the dry suit?

Herman
VDH Moderator

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:33 pm

While Luis was out diving, my spies broke into the Heros Diving Skunk Works and got these classified photos.

This post will self distruct in 30 seconds.
Herman

scubapeter
Lung Diver
First Name: peter

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Very cool pics.... Would a new 2nd stage for the PRAM mean the one could essentially built a double hose regulator without the use of any vintage parts?

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Otter Bay 12 MM hood. Got to get me one of those!!!

Jim

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 am

scubapeter wrote:Very cool pics.... Would a new 2nd stage for the PRAM mean the one could essentially built a double hose regulator without the use of any vintage parts?
The part that Luis is referring to is the 2nd stage seat retainer of the Voit Trieste type. The 2nd stage lever mounts directly to the seat retainer as opposed to a lever support assembly as is used in most other 2 hose regulators. You still need an original body to attach the retainer and everything else to.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

8dust
Master Diver

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:09 am

Thanks for the great report Luis. :)
Freddo
NAVED member #201

ebj
Lung Diver

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Luis
I also use the DUI weight harness with my drysuit. If you lower the tank more, will you still be able to get the waist strap from the plate to fit above the weight pockets?
Ernie

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Nice report. This dive site looks familiar; Is it in Fort Williams Park on Cape Elizabeth?

The backplate looks like it fits nice. I hope to order one soon.

Aileron
Master Diver
First Name: Lisa

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Luis, I think I speak for all of us in the South on the Forums....Thank you for Beta testing new gear for us in freezing, low viz conditions to make sure they are safe and sound!!!!
The Kids: Royal Mistral, Voit Faux 50 Fathom, Jet Air, PRAM x 2, Snark III Silver, DA, Healthways, DA Non Mag
NAVED #205

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks

Yes, that is Fort Williams.

ebj wrote:Luis
I also use the DUI weight harness with my drysuit. If you lower the tank more, will you still be able to get the waist strap from the plate to fit above the weight pockets?
If you look at the second picture, it looks like I have plenty of room. There is some space from the waist to the weight pockets and the waist strap doesn’t need to be sloping down like it is. My crotch strap was too short.
Luis

luis
VDH Moderator

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Aileron wrote:Luis, I think I speak for all of us in the South on the Forums....Thank you for Beta testing new gear for us in freezing, low viz conditions to make sure they are safe and sound!!!!
You are welcome... but I am actually testing this for myself.
I am using it on Turks and Caicos next month. :D

If it works well with heavy thermal protection (dry suit, heavy hood, gloves, etc.), it is just going to be outstanding with a 3 mm wet suit. 8)
Luis

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

luis wrote:If it works well with heavy thermal protection (dry suit, heavy hood, gloves, etc.), it is just going to be outstanding with a 3 mm wet suit. 8)
Luis! Its still better to be safe, and send it in for more testing before you use it in Turks and Caicos! I volunteer my services to test it thoroughly in a 3mm wet-suit :D

luis
VDH Moderator

Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 am

Drado wrote:
luis wrote:If it works well with heavy thermal protection (dry suit, heavy hood, gloves, etc.), it is just going to be outstanding with a 3 mm wet suit. 8)
Luis! Its still better to be safe, and send it in for more testing before you use it in Turks and Caicos! I volunteer my services to test it thoroughly in a 3mm wet-suit :D
Nice try...
If you order a plate right now, you can get it before the end of the year. :)

The regulator is not half as exciting as the new plate, at least not if you are talking about performance improvements.

The new second stage is an outstanding performer, but the performance gained by good regulator position with the new plate can easily outperform the gains on any double hose regulator. There will be more about the new second stage on a future thread.

Oh, and you would not be interested on my dry suit modifications… it is related to re-gluing the P-valve to the suit.
Luis

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:21 am

Duane E-mailed me yesterday and the plates shipped. Definitely no problem getting them to you before the end of the year.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”