Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: Today’s dive with some new gear.

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Drado wrote:Okay, I may have missed it, but is "XTC" an acronym for something, or is it descriptive of what diving with it will be like: Ecstasy?
Don't put too much weight into what its called now.....There is a lot to revise and refine before it hits the VDH store. There are at least 4 other projects going on right now and calling it XTC, Water Buffalo or Space Shuttle Atlantis just makes sure we are talking about the same project.

Phoenix was not the original name for that project either.... :wink:
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

1969ivan1
Plank Owner
First Name: rob

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I like Water buffalo better than Ecstasy for sure :lol: .

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 am

1969ivan1 wrote:I like Water buffalo better than Ecstasy for sure :lol: .
I can see the future thread title now:

"First dives with the Water Buffalo..."

Well, whatever its called, put me down for one! April can't come soon enough!

Master Diver
First Name: Kim

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:34 am

The Phoenix rose from the ashes. I don't know what the Water Buffalo rose from :roll:
Kim,
Ocean Trekker, Dangerous When Wet.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men" Douglas Barder.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Everyone is working hard to finish the new 2nd stage done in plenty of time for Sand Dog IX......

Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

Bryan
Plank Owner

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Luis is working on final critique of the drawings....I have been doing some extreme testing on the parts and can report that after 4000 + cycles everything has performed flawlessly and exceeded all expectations.

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Drado wrote:Okay, I may have missed it, but is "XTC" an acronym for something, or is it descriptive of what diving with it will be like: Ecstasy?

The reason for XTC was not just a state of mind, but it stood for “eXtra Turbo Charge”.
That is in reference to the performance of the second stage. It was just the first name that came to mind when I started working on this project. But as it has been mentioned, it could be confused with some illicit drugs.

Therefore, I am changing the project name. I wanted the name to be a suffix to the Phoenix, since this second stage is a perfect pair for the Phoenix.

The second stage can be used not just with the Phoenix, but also with any RAM or Aqua Master. From the outside no one could tell the difference (until you breathe from it). But again, being that it is a new modular high performance design, it makes it an ideal extension of the Phoenix first stage.

The name I have picked is the Phoenix HPR for the second stage project. The HPR stands for High Performance Regulator. I will explain on new thread what makes it high performance.

I am thinking the complete name to be something like the Phoenix HPR Royal, and dropping the Aqua Master just because it is too long.

Again, a lot more is following in the Phoenix section.

Please save your questions related to the Phoenix HPR for that thread.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

9fingers
Diver
First Name: Tim

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:33 pm

Luis, is that a DUI "weight and trim classic"? I had problems with one I used to own bunching up under the shoulder straps of a backplate for single tank diving.

I too dive often with a bulky (and slippery) drysuit and would like to figure out a weight system that won't slide around on me.

Tx, 9-fingers/Tim Hogan, Edmnonds, WA

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:55 pm

I've got a DUI WTS II weight system that I no longer use. I stopped using it because it uses the fish line deployment system. While it does work, it's a PIA to restring, plus the fact in Dive Rescue that's just more stuff to retrieve at the end of the day. My LAST LDS had a weight system based on DEEP OUTDOORS. This uses a velcro and snap buckle arrangement. I eventully scrapped the harness, but retained the weight pouch/pocket system. I got some decent 2" webbing, stainless buckles and hardware and created my own harness. Now I have something that works for both Dive Rescue and Tech diving.
It's easy to remove the weights and easy to put them back in. It's also very comfortable to wear. A winning combo! Now, vintage? Thats a different kettle of fish. I got some two inch cotton webbing from Allan, a wire buckle from Bryan and 1960's weights off Craigs list. That made for a smokin' vintage weight belt. I really like the wire buckle. Everything else since then has been a down grade!

Jim

luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 pm

With a dry-suit I use the 2nd generation DUI harness. I like the harness because the shoulder straps are thin and therefore can not be confused with the back pack/ plate harness.

The realize system can be a bit of a pain to reload, but I just don’t release the weights. If I want to remove weights (in a non emergency) I just open the Velcro pockets and pull them out.

The only modification I have done so far is added a sternum strap to make sure the shoulder straps don’t slide of when I am taking off my tank.

I realize that it will not work for every application. But I have different weight belts or harness for different applications.

I used to use a regular harness with belt, but the shoulder straps would get confusing with the tank straps.

My favorite weight belt is an XS Scuba with the Velcro pockets. It is the easiest to add the rental weights in the Caribbean. 8)
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

9fingers
Diver

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks Luis and swimjim.

I wonder how the OxyCheq harness would work:
http://northeastscubasupply.com/store/w ... _3028.html

I like the smaller webbing on the DUI too, and I'm OK with a weight belt/pocket/harness system that is not quick to ditch. Luis, I'm guessing that the DUI waistbelt does not need to be anywhere near as tight as a typical weight belt- is that correct?

I also like the XS scuba 6-pocket belt I bought and used for a trip to Hawaii with a neoprene wetsuit.

I may experiment with a rubber weight belt like one made by Trident or Mako: http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mfdwb.htm

And I can always add suspenders to a weightbelt- I saw one at my LDS today made by Trident, with 2" webbing, but a 1" webbing do-it-yourself version with a sternum strap would be a good, lower-bulk alternative. I think that this mated to the pocketed belt from XS Scuba would work well.

This is a case of function over vintage for me as is a lot of my gear. The trilaminate drysuit I use in my local waters is pretty slick. I was especially trying to find out what weight belt worked for those using a drysuit along with a VDH backplate.

Cheers, 9fingers/Tim

Drado
Master Diver
First Name: Eduardo

Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:19 am

9fingers wrote: I may experiment with a rubber weight belt like one made by Trident or Mako: http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mfdwb.htm

This is a case of function over vintage for me as is a lot of my gear. The trilaminate drysuit I use in my local waters is pretty slick. I was especially trying to find out what weight belt worked for those using a drysuit along with a VDH backplate.

Cheers, 9fingers/Tim
If you want to try and mix and match - I find that the wire buckle and rubber belt go great together:

9fingers
Diver

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for the input Ed, I've never used one- I may cook into that. Do you use the Trident belt and buckle?

When drysuit diving in cold waters (with lots of insulation needed), one of course needs more weight, but also- it is a much bigger hassle (if not a danger that a rapid, out-of-control ascent) will occur if one loses this weight. Divers here sometimes move some if not all of the weight needed to a non-ditchable spot. It is also not uncommon for the weight that can be jettisoned to be much harder to do so- such as using two buckles on the weightbelt, or a weightbelt worn under a crotch strap.

It is pretty cool seeing how we figure out different ways to solve similar problems.

If I was concerned with keeping the look vintage, I think a set of suspenders used with a traditional cotton belt and lead weights would look fine...maybe I can get Simonbeans to make me a "traditional-looking" set of suspenders out of cotton. I do know that commercial divers used rivited cotton weight harnesses here for years- (still used today, but seems like they are moving toward nylon now).

Tim

simonbeans
VDH Moderator
First Name: Allan

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Sketch, photo, or diagram what you want and I think we can figure something out. 8)
Check out my website: www.vintagescubastuff.com

9fingers
Diver

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Cool, thanks Allan! I have a commercial diving shop nearby that I visit occasionally- I may be able to get some further ideas. I'll PM you when I figure it out.

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”