luis
VDH Moderator
First Name: Luis

Re: New From VDH (Universal back plate with vintage spirit)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:55 pm

gj1963 wrote:In preparing to order one, I will order the webbing as well... About how many feet is a good amount that will be needed - Im pretty average size.
I used two 6 foot sections for the shoulders and waist strap. Each 6 foot section attaches on the top of the back plate, crosses, goes over the shoulder to the waist attachment and then continues as half of the waist strap.

For the crotch strap I use a 1 inch strap. I am not sure how long that is. My crotch strap goes from the bottom of the plate on the back to my weight belt on the front. That way if I want to release the weight belt the crotch strap also release and the weight belt will not hang from it.
Luis

Buceador con escafandra autónoma clásica.

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you kindly for the detailed info.
-Geoff

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:25 pm

Bryan wrote:I think sex bolts are also called Chicago bolts or something like that. They are real and real useful in a lot of applications.

Please E-mail Patrick at OxyCheq. Be sure and tell him that I sent you and I'll bet he can point you in the right direction. We have been E-mailing back and forth about this project. I would rate OxyCheq an 11 on a 1-10 scale for customer service.

The BC that Luis and I are working on to match the plate may not work for everyone's applications but please keep in mind we have one in development.
Thank You for the OxyCheq info, however, if you're going to have one in the VDH store, I'll just wait for it. I'm in no big hurry and can use work BC's when in a serious jam.

I'll be putting an order in Friday, I gut a little behind during the holidays and work has been crazy.

Thanks again.
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:19 pm

No affiliation with OxyCheq at all. I just know they have great products and fantastic customer service.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

macado
Master Diver
First Name: Michael

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 am

Bryan wrote:No affiliation with OxyCheq at all. I just know they have great products and fantastic customer service.
That is interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience with them. To be fair, I love their products, especially their small wings but I wasn't particularly happy with their customer service.

I'll stop getting off topic. Looks like my VHD plate should be here Dec 30th. Hopefully just in time for my Coz trip. I'll definitely test the plate with my Oxycheq (30# or 18#) wings and report back.

scubasteve59
Master Diver
First Name: Steve

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm

I have an Oxycheq BC for my single tank modern rig set ups.....it is a cadillac and hard to keep away from my son in laws prying hands...great product...

uwstlth
Master Diver
First Name: kevin

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 pm

macado wrote:
Bryan wrote:No affiliation with OxyCheq at all. I just know they have great products and fantastic customer service.
That is interesting. I've had the exact opposite experience with them. To be fair, I love their products, especially their small wings but I wasn't particularly happy with their customer service.

I'll stop getting off topic. Looks like my VHD plate should be here Dec 30th. Hopefully just in time for my Coz trip. I'll definitely test the plate with my Oxycheq (30# or 18#) wings and report back.
Gonna have to jump on the boat with this one... I've had very poor CS from some dude named Dwayne (sp) over there. No experience with Patric so if he is the proprietor my suggestion would be to do some serious CS 101 with his staff. On an other board I belong to, they get beat up all the time because of their lack of CS... just my first hand experience with no axe to grind.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Here is how the cow eats the cabbage......Patrick at Oxycheq answered every little pissy technical question I had when I got into blending NITROX. Since I was doing it for customers I had A LOT of questions about analyzers. Since that time he has shipped stuff to me same day of ordering, soldered a board for me that I screwed up at no charge and has answered a hell of a lot of questions about getting into the BCD manufacturing business....
If you guys buy BCD's from OxyCheq and the customer service is not what it should be then please let me know in an E-mail and we will take it from there.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

gj1963
Master Diver
First Name: Geoff

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:26 pm

I don't really have anything technical to add to this discussion... Just to say I am quite happy with the plate I got today. Still need to adjust it and add a crotch strap.

If anyone wants yellow webbing I have enough for a harness worth or so that I can send for the price of shipping.

-Geoff

sitkadiver
Master Diver
First Name: Dave

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:36 pm

OK, this is probably a total nancy-boy question, but how do you vintage people get 2 layers of webbing through the slider? I can put them on a regular weight belt just fine, but I'm killing myself trying to get the second run to go through. I even cut a nice trianglur shape into my webbing and tried needle nose pliers.

You peope must work out way more often than I do......
I do not believe in taking unnecessary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living. - Charles Lindbergh

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, I have my 6 year old Grand-daughter thread mine, but she's a tough kid from Texas.

Just joking with ya... :) I agree with you. I think some slides are made with larger slots than others, and we may need to find out where to get the ones mentioned.
The older I get the better I was.

uwstlth
Master Diver

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Off to Turks and taking 3 setups with me (picts attached). I took the wing and harness off my doubles BP and my Mk15 to see what might work (two different sizes), then Geoff offered the webbing and I jumped at that (cheers Geoff!) So I'll take my old DeepOutdoors BP with freedom harness, the new BP Luis and Bryan came up with, and my travel Seaquest Balance BC. All setups seem to hold the reg close to my back and low (it will be new for me to dive with a tank resting on the back of my legs and some interference with a weight belt) and I'll report back in Feb when I return. I'm looking forward to some great diving and questions from other divers on this expedition. We are planning some deeper divers on a few of the less visited walls off the bight.

phsdive
Vintage Diver
First Name: Philip

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Sitka. I found same problem with the slides, but over a few beers I got it: Try leaving a large loop of webbing after you thread the first piece through the slide - then position the already inserted webbing at 90 degree to the slide as you thread the second piece in. I found that if the first piece of webbing is hard against the slide it is at a slight angle and takes up more space. A bit hard to express in words.

Bryan
Plank Owner

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 pm

You might want to make some corrections to the way you have the webbing run through the plate at the top. Below is a link to how it was designed to be setup. To each their own of course but I think as you pull on the straps it will try to push the regulator away from the plate and not down around the cutout as it's supposed to go.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... 1&start=15

uwstlth
Master Diver

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Bryan wrote:You might want to make some corrections to the way you have the webbing run through the plate at the top. Below is a link to how it was designed to be setup. To each their own of course but I think as you pull on the straps it will try to push the regulator away from the plate and not down around the cutout as it's supposed to go.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/ ... 1&start=15
Yeah, don't take those pictures as the final routing of the webbing (guess I should have stated that in my last post.) The one with the yellow bit was just a fast "feed" to illustrate the "look" compared to that with the DeepOutdoors harness.

I will however be using 1 uncut length, it seemed to work well in the pool this afternoon and for me, a better option than using a slider on both sides. To each his/her own I guess :wink:

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”