User avatar
Chris
Master Diver
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:44 am
First Name: Chris
Location: Coos Bay Oregon
Contact: Website

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm

I have a Hollis pocket weight belt that I Ffipped the buckle to the other side. Then I nelt on a rock at 50' down trying to decide if I wanted to grab the fish on my spear, or my belt which was layng across my calves. The weight belt (pocket style) was cheaply made with one strap thinner than the other.

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 am

LloydS wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:53 pm

PS: Sorry about the two pics of me. Didn't mean to do that.
Oh, from the looks of it I just thought that you and your twin brother had a disagreement!
The older I get the better I was.

User avatar
EberWolf
Skin Diver
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:51 am
First Name: James

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:17 pm

LloydS wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:01 am
11/17/19

Whew! Thank you Scott!!! I purchased the rig you recommended off eBay! Possibly the only remaining "Argonaut Universal Back Plate for Double Hose Regulators" up for sale in the world at the moment. What a relief to finally find one, with the harness and wings included! I couldn't be happier!

Also, thanks for this tip, "For your need to exit the harness add a weight belt buckle to one of the shoulder straps."

I hadn't thought of that. Great idea! I'll do it.

I guess my last order of business before actually going diving is to figure out how to attach 36 pounds of weight to the rig. (Yes, believe it or not I recently got back from Cozumel and that's how much weight I actually needed just to be neutral) I had hoped the backplate would be heavier, but it's very light (1 lb 5 oz). And someone told me that a simple weight belt would NOT be a good idea because then you'd have two buckles at your waist (the harness buckle and the weight belt buckle).

So if you or anyone has a suggestion for what to use to carry that large amount of weight (36 lbs), or how to distribute it, or a link to pockets or whatever, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks so much!

-Lloyd Stewart
Thanks a lot Lloyd. ;) I asked that seller a shipping question before I bid and you bought it before I could get an answer. I do have a question for you, I'll send a PM.

User avatar
EberWolf
Skin Diver
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:51 am
First Name: James

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:18 pm

LloydS wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:01 am
11/17/19

Whew! Thank you Scott!!! I purchased the rig you recommended off eBay! Possibly the only remaining "Argonaut Universal Back Plate for Double Hose Regulators" up for sale in the world at the moment. What a relief to finally find one, with the harness and wings included! I couldn't be happier!

Also, thanks for this tip, "For your need to exit the harness add a weight belt buckle to one of the shoulder straps."

I hadn't thought of that. Great idea! I'll do it.

I guess my last order of business before actually going diving is to figure out how to attach 36 pounds of weight to the rig. (Yes, believe it or not I recently got back from Cozumel and that's how much weight I actually needed just to be neutral) I had hoped the backplate would be heavier, but it's very light (1 lb 5 oz). And someone told me that a simple weight belt would NOT be a good idea because then you'd have two buckles at your waist (the harness buckle and the weight belt buckle).

So if you or anyone has a suggestion for what to use to carry that large amount of weight (36 lbs), or how to distribute it, or a link to pockets or whatever, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks so much!

-Lloyd Stewart
Thanks a lot Lloyd. ;) I asked that seller a shipping question before I bid and you bought it before I could get an answer. I do have a question for you, I'll send a PM.

LloydS
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 am
First Name: LLOYD
Location: Austin TX

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:45 pm

tripplec wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm
I have a Hollis pocket weight belt that I Ffipped the buckle to the other side. Then I nelt on a rock at 50' down trying to decide if I wanted to grab the fish on my spear, or my belt which was layng across my calves. The weight belt (pocket style) was cheaply made with one strap thinner than the other.
Nice description. I think that "weight belt coming loose" problem is more significant than many realize, especially for new divers who could end up on a speedy trip to the surface. It happened to my wife just 2 days ago, but fortunately she was still at the surface and she caught the belt before it got away.

That's one of the reasons I ordered the "DUI Weight and Trim Classic," as recommended in this very thread. Ordering direct from DUI added about $23 shipping to the cost, so I found a better deal from DiveRightIn Scuba that had no tax or shipping. My LDS said they could order it, but in fact, they just recommended that I order it online. I'll try it out and then order one for the wife if I like it.

To Antique Diver about the twin thing: Ha! I got my eye on you! Actually I've been reading some of your posts on other topics. You guys really know what you're talking about! Really helps us new guys, whatever age we may actually be.

LloydS
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 am
First Name: LLOYD
Location: Austin TX

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:48 pm

tripplec wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:55 pm
I have a Hollis pocket weight belt that I Ffipped the buckle to the other side. Then I nelt on a rock at 50' down trying to decide if I wanted to grab the fish on my spear, or my belt which was layng across my calves. The weight belt (pocket style) was cheaply made with one strap thinner than the other.
Nice description. I think that "weight belt coming loose" problem is more significant than many realize, especially for new divers who could end up on a speedy trip to the surface. It happened to my wife just 2 days ago, but fortunately she was still at the surface and she caught the belt before it got away.

That's one of the reasons I ordered the "DUI Weight and Trim Classic," as recommended in this very thread. Ordering direct from DUI added about $23 shipping to the cost, so I found a better deal from DiveRightIn Scuba that had no tax or shipping. My LDS said they could order it, but in fact, they just recommended that I just order it online. I'll try it out and then order one for the wife if I think it'll work for her.

To Antique Diver about the twin thing: Ha! I got my eye on you! Actually I've been reading some of your posts on other topics. You guys really know what you're talking about! Really helps us new guys, whatever age we may actually be.

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:41 am

Lloyd, good to find another forum member in Texas! Seems like there may just be 3 of us.
The older I get the better I was.

LloydS
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 am
First Name: LLOYD
Location: Austin TX

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm in Austin Antique Diver. I see you are in north central Texas. Ft Worth? Dallas? Abilene?

User avatar
antique diver
Master Diver
Posts: 2060
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:50 pm
First Name: Bill
Location: North-Central Texas

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:23 pm

LloydS wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:46 pm
I'm in Austin Antique Diver. I see you are in north central Texas. Ft Worth? Dallas? Abilene?
35 miles west of Fort Worth.
BTW, I have a wide variety of good vintage steel cylinders, manifolds, double bands, regulators and more if you have a need for something. The cylinders are too much trouble and costly to ship, but can make a good deal for anyone that's passing through Fort Worth area and want to pick up one or more.
The older I get the better I was.

User avatar
Nemrod
VDH Moderator
Posts: 1404
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:53 pm
First Name: James
Location: Kansas

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:46 am

I fixed your double vision. Not that you are not handsome and all that with the nice shiner :mrgreen: .

Nem

davidthornburgh
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm
First Name: David
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 pm

I'm a new double hose owner (took my Royal Aquamaster to Belize right before THE SHUTDOWN) and am looking for some advice on backplates. Of course I'd love to buy a VDH plate but since that's not a current option I'm looking for a good alternative. I dived the RAM with my Scubapro Knighthawk and it was OK, but a) single tank band made me nervous and b) I don't think it positioned the can close enough to my body. Ideas? BTW, I LOVED diving the reg.

User avatar
ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:25 am
First Name: Mark
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 pm

davidthornburgh wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 pm
I'm a new double hose owner (took my Royal Aquamaster to Belize right before THE SHUTDOWN) and am looking for some advice on backplates. Of course I'd love to buy a VDH plate but since that's not a current option I'm looking for a good alternative. I dived the RAM with my Scubapro Knighthawk and it was OK, but a) single tank band made me nervous and b) I don't think it positioned the can close enough to my body. Ideas? BTW, I LOVED diving the reg.
Hi David, and welcome to the Board. Everything you never wanted to know (and more) about DH diving can be found here!

One option I use often when traveling (and sometimes at home) is the no-backplate option. With just bands and a harness you can still install a back inflation unit and DH can placement is optimally directly against the back and between the shoulder blades. My 2psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

James
Lung Diver
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 7:54 am
First Name: James
Location: Lower Alabama

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm

I don't have much experience with mine yet, but the first 2 dives on it were with a DIY BPW that I made.... the plate is hand cut from a plastic cutting board. Works like a champ, and cost me $5 at big lots. Cutting your own might be a good short term solution, while you hunt for the perfect answer.
I've only used the cuttingboard plates (my kids use them too) with home made wings, but you can cut the tank strap slots to match whatever wing you want to use.

Respectfully,

James

davidthornburgh
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm
First Name: David
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm

James wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:07 pm
I don't have much experience with mine yet, but the first 2 dives on it were with a DIY BPW that I made.... the plate is hand cut from a plastic cutting board. Works like a champ, and cost me $5 at big lots. Cutting your own might be a good short term solution, while you hunt for the perfect answer.
I've only used the cuttingboard plates (my kids use them too) with home made wings, but you can cut the tank strap slots to match whatever wing you want to use.

Respectfully,

James
Thanks, James. Any pattern handy? David

davidthornburgh
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm
First Name: David
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Which backplate, Wings, and Harness?

Thu May 21, 2020 2:56 pm

ScubaLawyer wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:01 pm
davidthornburgh wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:58 pm
I'm a new double hose owner (took my Royal Aquamaster to Belize right before THE SHUTDOWN) and am looking for some advice on backplates. Of course I'd love to buy a VDH plate but since that's not a current option I'm looking for a good alternative. I dived the RAM with my Scubapro Knighthawk and it was OK, but a) single tank band made me nervous and b) I don't think it positioned the can close enough to my body. Ideas? BTW, I LOVED diving the reg.
Hi David, and welcome to the Board. Everything you never wanted to know (and more) about DH diving can be found here!

One option I use often when traveling (and sometimes at home) is the no-backplate option. With just bands and a harness you can still install a back inflation unit and DH can placement is optimally directly against the back and between the shoulder blades. My 2psi. Mark
Thanks, Mark. Never considered that! Any recommendations for a particular harness and bands?

Return to “Modern Era Double Hose Diving”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests