SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Minimalist Tanks

Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Minimalist Scuba Tanks
- One of the tanks in a Twin 38 project failed the hydrotest and left me with a single 38. I didn't have a plan for it but last Fall I cleaned it up and painted it with Galvalite zinc paint. This eventually got re-assembled with the original bushing-reducer and a nice tapered 1/2" thread USD J-Valve. But it wasn't until I returned from Sea Hunt Forever that I got the idea to make this a USD Vigo 38!
- It still needs a yellow paint job and a big round decal to be a Vigo 38 but I went ahead and dove with it at our local Sea Hunt Night. Wow, what a free feeling dive tank. Light weight and easy to don and walk around in. It was essentially neutral in the water... I wore 6 lbs of weight with and without the tank and I was neutrally buoyant regardless. Originals had K valves but mine has a J-valve.
- I'm thinking "minimalist" with this Vigo 38. I can fit an entire diving outfit including this tank into one dive bag. I can bring it along everywhere in case an opportunity to go diving comes up unexpectedly.
Note: This catalog page snapshot was taken from a file sponsored and hosted by Vintage Double Hose. In 1961, USD offered three different "Vigo" tank sizes: 18 cf, 24 cf, and 38 cf.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

lakediver
Lung Diver
First Name: George

Re: Minimalist Tanks

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I think this is a cool idea. I've thought a small kit based around a pony bottle would fun to take along while kayaking. Does the harness just consist of canvas straps threaded through loops attached to tank bands?

georgeaustin
Master Diver
First Name: george

Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:03 am

As a kid, I remember the salty ("old guys) - probably in their late 20's using single 38's for their hull cleaning, and dropped overboard retrieval pick up jobs at the marina.

SurfLung
Master Diver
First Name: Eben

Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:32 pm

lakediver wrote:I think this is a cool idea. I've thought a small kit based around a pony bottle would fun to take along while kayaking. Does the harness just consist of canvas straps threaded through loops attached to tank bands?
- Right now I have it set up with the 1961 plastic Bac-Pac. This is almost as compact as tank bands and harness but it does a better job of keeping the tank from rotating. The crotch strap is pretty important to keep snug for best stability.
SurfLung
The Freedom and Simplicity of Vintage Equipment and
Vintage Diving Technique are Why I Got Back Into Diving.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”