DaveMann
Lung Diver
First Name: Dave

1/2" Tapered Thread I Valve and Tank

Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:39 pm

Quick question with regard to the tanks, the valves, or the combination of the two.

Can you tell me if these have any practical use today? Will a standard regulator yoke fit them? Should I jump on them because of rarity or pass because they're too much trouble. I've never seen them before. What are your thoughts? These are the only pictures I have.

Edited to ad: They're 72 cu ft tanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swimjim
Master Diver
First Name: Jim

Re: 1/2" Tapered Thread I Valve and Tank

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:57 am

Nothing wrong with the old 1/2" post valve tanks. They are a little harder to work with, but if you are careful about cracking your valves before you fill, you won't have to worry about rolling them. The biggest pia with these tanks IMO. The only real draw back is that they are harder to pick up and move around. A J- valve makes a nice handle. If I was looking for tanks I wouldn't turn these down.

Jim

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:37 am

Their biggest drawback is you need a tank vice and big wrench to remove and install them so shops don't like to fool with them. Other than that they are fine. I posted a few pictures of how to properly place the wrench when removing and installing them. Maybe Bryan knows where they are.
Captain

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:42 am

captain wrote:Their biggest drawback is you need a tank vice and big wrench to remove and install them so shops don't like to fool with them. Other than that they are fine. I posted a few pictures of how to properly place the wrench when removing and installing them. Maybe Bryan knows where they are.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6495
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:18 am

Do J or K valves or manifolds exist that would thread into these tanks?

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:07 pm

I'm hijacking my own thread:

I'm still interested in knowing if J, K or manifolds exist that have this 1/2" tapered thread OR if in the spirit of vintage originality the post valves should stay.

These two 1/2" valve tanks are part of a group of 6 steel 72s all from the early 1960s. The other 4 are 3/4" valves.
So there are a total of 6 steel 72s with a couple of extra 3/4" J valves, a manifold, some tank bands.

All tanks will need a hydro and Vis. Some of them may be no good, who knows?

Guy is asking $300 for all of it.

What do you think? Deal or no deal?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 pm

Before you purchase any 1/2 " valve cylinders be sure you can remove/install the valve yourself and have the correct tools to do so or ahead of time have a shop that knows HOW to do it and WILL do it properly. If not, skip 1/2" all together and go with 3/4" O-ring valves.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

captain
Plank Owner

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:28 pm

I am with Bryan, you need to be able to remove and install them your
self. That said, yes J valves and manifolds are available.
Captain

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I bow to the general consensus regarding the tanks with the 1/2" valves.

Moving on.

Having not purchased a steel 72 since the mid 1970s, is there also a general consensus on whether roughly $45 per tank is a fair price in today's market?

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Maybe this will help. $300 for all of it. Would you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

8dust
Master Diver

Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:37 am

Personally, no. $45-50 per on the 3/4 tanks as they are out of hydro. Better if you can look inside and check condition. Forget the 1/2 in unless you just want to have a project, otherwise, not practical. Maybe another $50 of value in the bands, BP, and manifold if you're really emotionally drawn to them. Just my 2c, but looks more like a $150 pile to me.
Freddo
NAVED member #201

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:08 pm

A sincere thank you to all who replied.

I went ahead and bought all 6 tanks and all the other stuff in the photo 2 posts above for $180. Assuming the everything else is worth 30 bucks, I got the tanks for $25 apiece. I can live with that. Now I have projects to last the winter.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”