DaveMann
Lung Diver
First Name: Dave

US Divers Manifold

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:58 am

So I'm out looking for things and I ran across a US Divers manifold and a US Divers J Valve. In the interest of furthering my knowledge base I thought I'd try a rebuild and see what happens.

The J Valve should be a straight forward rebuild. I found the PDF file for that.

I looked at the old US Divers catalogs and can't find this manifold. I don't find much on K valve manifolds at all. Could it be a Frankenmanifold. The two end pieces don't look the same age wise, and the diameter of the tube coming out of the bottom looks different one from the other.

Any idea what I've found?

Bryan
Plank Owner
First Name: Bryan

Re: US Divers Manifold

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:40 pm

0530&0540 K Valve

0525&0545 J Valve

Twin Cylinder Manifold with Air Reserve 10518.00 5 0518-60

Links above are clickable and will take you to the respective service manual page with schematic.
Doing it right should include some common sense, not just blindly following specs and instructions. .Gary D, AWAP on SB

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Bryan wrote:0530&0540 K Valve

0525&0545 J Valve

Twin Cylinder Manifold with Air Reserve 10518.00 5 0518-60

Links above are clickable and will take you to the respective service manual page with schematic.
Thanks, Bryan.

Since there is no J valve end on this manifold I follow the schematic but (obviously) handle both elbow ends the same. I assume they are the same part just turned around. I got it for next to nothing and I look forward to the learning experience of disassembly and what not. But what is it? Can it be dated? Is it made for a specific set of tanks? Anybody?

Dave

What would Mike Nelson do :?:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver
First Name: Mark

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Dave,

I have that exact same manifold that came on a set of USD Twin Aluminum 50's I bought new in 1976. It will fit any 3/4" tank thread.

It is very easy to overhaul. Just remember to install the correct rating of burst disc for the pressure of the tanks you are putting it on.

Also, that older-looking end may be from an older USD J-62 manifold. No matter, they are basically the same internally. I don't recall USD doing a lot to reinvent the wheel. :D

Good luck.

Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:29 pm

I assume if I measure the business end width center to center I'll find it it's for 6.9" or 7.25" tanks. Or are they universal?

Dave

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Width of cylinders is irrelevant. The center posts should be 8.25 inches apart. My 2psi. Mark
"The diver who collects specimens of underwater life has fun and becomes a keen underwater observer. .. seek slow-moving or attached organisms such as corals, starfish, or shelled creatures." (Golden Guide to Scuba Diving, 1968) :D

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Upon closer examination with a jeweler's loupe I did find a 1 cast into the main body, and J62-3, BA, and a curvy M or W with an arrow going through it on the older elbow and tube assembly. Other than 3000 PSI on the safety plug there is nothing much of note on the newer elbow and tube assembly.

Are these marking significant?

If there is a J62 manifold that might have provided 1/3 of what I brought home where might I find info to ID the other 2/3? Is there a J-something else manifold?

Thank you all for helping me learn.

Dave

What would Mike Nelson do
:?:

ScubaLawyer
Master Diver

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 pm

When I put my glasses on I see the valve is stamped Santa Ana and the elbow is stamped Los Angeles. Since USD was in LA before Santa Ana you definitely have a Frankenstein. As to the other markings I'll leave it to other more eminently qualified folks on this board to answer. Mark

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:12 pm

Not seeing the pictures. But in any event what you describe is a center section with two right side elbows. In this arrangement the burst disc faces the diver on the left side and away from the diver on the right side. As was previously said it is a Frankenstein.
Captain

DaveMann
Lung Diver

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:14 pm

I suppose a Frankenmanifold is better than no manifold at all. What I should do now is start playing with it and see if I can learn something.

Dave

Return to “Tanks and Valves”