kworkman
Master Diver
First Name: Keith

Maybe New Project

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 pm

Anyone have any ideas for this one? It is a 3000psi Luxfer cylinder that came out of a power plant and is listed as "escape air". I was thinking maybe a bailout bottle or kids set up. Its probably around 14 cf or so. The valve looks to be 1/2 nps so Id have to find a Sportsways or White Stag valve. I believe thoae are the ones that were nps with an oring seal.

captain
Plank Owner

Re: Maybe New Project

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

If I am not mistaken that valve is also a 1st stage regulator. I can't say what is it's output pressure might be but you could try connecting a 2nd stage to it and see how well it works. My only concern would be is is it made of all corrosion resistant material such as SS or brass..
Some also have the feature of being able to switch between positive and negative pressure breathing. Can you tell who the manufacturer was.
Captain

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:22 pm

I think he was just demonstrating the thread in the tank with a known entity, just for reference....

there was a recent SB discussion on these. The system included a "bag" regulator to put over your head to evacuate a building....
Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

kworkman
Master Diver

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:22 pm

The threads are 16.

captain
Plank Owner

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:46 am

Then it isn't 1 inch straight pipe thread which is 11.5 tpi. Drag out your metric measuring tools. 16 tpi is about 1.588 mm. Measure the thread diameter and convert to mm. That should get you close. Thread charts do not show any US or metric thread pattern that would be close to 1" x 16 tpi

https://mdmetric.com/tech/tict.htm
Captain

antique diver
Master Diver
First Name: Bill

Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:02 am

The threads are a standard SAE type, straight thread, o-ring sealed. Measure the outside diameter of the threads of the valve/reg, and if it's just a few thousandths under 0.75" the old o-ring sealed Sportsways valves will fit. This is not a "pipe thread", so the actual thread diameter is given in the thread size designation, 3/4" X 16 (0.75" X 16). That thread is commonly used in some SCBA and some small portable aluminum Oxygen cylinders... among many other non-SCUBA things.

The only SCUBA valve that I am aware of in that size is the Sportsways, which you should be able to find from someone on the Forum.
The older I get the better I was.

kworkman
Master Diver

Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Bill is absolutely correct.

crimediver
Master Diver

Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:57 pm

I have the exact same tank. It came with a clear plastic bag that you place over your head as an escape hood to get out of an area contaminated by smoke, The bottom of the hood has an elastic band to seal it but it is loose enough to allow exhaled air to escape from the bottom as the reg "free flows".

As I recall, to fill the cylinder you attach the same female fitting that fits fire dept. SCBA tanks.

I also removed the valve and screwed in a 1/2" straight thread Sportsways valve to use it for diving. I have never filled mine up yet as it needed a hydro and though I felt the threads were the same I wanted some additional verification. It looks like others agree.

I also bought another one of these sets last month but I think I will keep it as is just in case I need to escape from a fire.

I already have about 6 pony bottles dedicated to diving, but might have more use for a land based bail-out in case of a house fire.

I have only seen two of these cylinders before and bought both of them. I don't think they are real common.

rhwestfall
Master Diver
First Name: Robert

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Bob

No Longer Awaiting my Kraken.....

kworkman
Master Diver

Sat May 14, 2016 4:35 am

Well Im not going to do anything with this if anybody wants it. I dont have the regulator for it though.

Return to “Tanks and Valves”