TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver
First Name: Doug

J-Valve question

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:40 pm

In anticipation of the coming dive season, over the weekend I rebuilt two US Divers 054500 J valves (with two black, plastic bulbous knobs) one from the early 70’s, one from the early 80’s. Both were rarely used, and look like old, unused stock. I don't know if they were stored with the selector knob in the up or down position, or if they were stored on pressurized tanks. I’ve rebuilt many modern K valves, but these were my first J valve rebuilds.

I read what I could find on VDH but may have missed something. When testing, one had a J valve cutoff pressure of 300 psi and the other never cut off. The face of the reserve assemblies look to be in good condition. Did I miss something? Can I tune the Reserve Assembly 052508 to increase reserve cutoff pressure?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R/
Doug

captain
Plank Owner

Re: J-Valve question

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:45 am

My first question is are you sure the J knob is correctly installed it can be installed backwards if not careful when assembling the valve and no it can not be tuned.
Captain

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks Captain,

When I get home at the end of the week, I'll double check the reserve handwheel to make sure it's installed correctly.

R/

Doug

TeamDoug2015
Vintage Diver

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:46 pm

Just a follow up to an old post - It turned out the spring had just turned soft. A replacement part did the trick.

- Doug

Return to “Tanks and Valves”